Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2017 7:21:20 PM EDT
Like what Underwood and Buffalo Bore offer, 100grs at a little over 1000fps out of a sub compact 2.75" barrel.

What is your opinion? I'll tell you mine and its super simple...make holes that penetrate as deep as possible.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 11:07:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a good load for the .380... if you are going to carry one. I do know that it would be a real handful in a small, lightweight polymer gun.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 6:46:10 AM EDT
[#2]
That's what I would carry. I believe Shootingthebull410 tested that load from Buffalo Bore and it penetrated over 20 inches in gel. He didn't like it though because it penetrated too much which I find severely overrated since it wasn't an issue in days past before hollow points were invented and became the latest marketing craze.

The best hollow points in .380 barely make the 12 inch mark and they do so by barely expanding so what's the point in using them?

At least with this load, you are guaranteed to reach vitals even if it goes through a car door, entering and exiting through an arm, and into a chest through bones and muscle as long as you do your part.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:55:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Id consider those. Penetration is most important.

Would maybe try Underwood Xtreme Defender for about 15in too
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 4:12:30 PM EDT
[#4]
make sure that flat bullet shape is reliable in your 380

if not, I would imagine FMJ would be about the same

Link Posted: 10/25/2017 9:52:49 PM EDT
[#5]
If i remember correct the hornady xtp loaded by percision one turned out to be one of the best 380 loads tested.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 9:41:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I've shot the Underwood version of the hard cast flat nose in my LCP.  It cycled just fine, but good gravy the recoil was something else and I'm not all that recoil shy.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 1:36:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've shot the Underwood version of the hard cast flat nose in my LCP.  It cycled just fine, but good gravy the recoil was something else and I'm not all that recoil shy.
View Quote
I don't see it on their site. Maybe I'm blind
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 4:33:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I don't see it on their site. Maybe I'm blind
View Quote
380 ACP +P 100 Grain Flat Nose
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 4:56:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Out of a Glock 42? Oay.

An Elsie Pea?

Hell to the naw.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 5:02:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Out of a Glock 42? Oay.

An Elsie Pea?

Hell to the naw.
View Quote
Had to look up the Elsie Pea.

I have a S&W bodyguard. Which I'm guessing is equal to the LCP in size and weight.

I haven't considered recoil really that much. Think it will be bad do you?lol
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 6:38:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That's what I would carry. I believe Shootingthebull410 tested that load from Buffalo Bore and it penetrated over 20 inches in gel. He didn't like it though because it penetrated too much which I find severely overrated since it wasn't an issue in days past before hollow points were invented and became the latest marketing craze.

The best hollow points in .380 barely make the 12 inch mark and they do so by barely expanding so what's the point in using them?

At least with this load, you are guaranteed to reach vitals even if it goes through a car door, entering and exiting through an arm, and into a chest through bones and muscle as long as you do your part.
View Quote
This right here.

I'm a huge fan of anything flat point in my LCP.   Would be even better if someone made an SWC in 380 that could reliably feed.

If I had a 4in barrel 380 I would consider JHP's... but these little pocket rockets + ~17000cup is not enough velocity to reliably expand JHPs.... and if they do expand completely you're not getting 12in of penetration.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 7:09:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks. I'm not good with the Internets
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 6:04:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Had to look up the Elsie Pea.

I have a S&W bodyguard. Which I'm guessing is equal to the LCP in size and weight.

I haven't considered recoil really that much. Think it will be bad do you?lol
View Quote
Relative to beating my hand with a hammer? Nah.

Link Posted: 10/29/2017 10:25:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If i remember correct the hornady xtp loaded by percision one turned out to be one of the best 380 loads tested.
View Quote
Ding Ding Winner.  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNtPHYwcDts
This round meets the FBI standards.  I personally use the Fiocci XTP loadings as I can get a steady supply at a good price and practice with what I carry.  

The only way I would consider the hard cast flat points is if I had to carry a .380 and was worried about animals.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 11:11:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ding Ding Winner.  
This round meets the FBI standards.  I personally use the Fiocci XTP loadings as I can get a steady supply at a good price and practice with what I carry.  

The only way I would consider the hard cast flat points is if I had to carry a .380 and was worried about animals.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ding Ding Winner.  

FBI standards don't end with bare gel and cloth. I have yet to find a .380 that meets the FBI standards. I'd rather have reliable, straight penatration after hard barriers than a pretty expanded bullet after going through gellatin.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 7:25:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

FBI standards don't end with bare gel and cloth. I have yet to find a .380 that meets the FBI standards. I'd rather have reliable, straight penatration after hard barriers than a pretty expanded bullet after going through gellatin.
View Quote
I agree. Those HP rounds tested barely make the 12 inch mark and do so by barely expanding from .355 to .400.

I'd much rather have a round that doesn't expand and is almost the same size as an expanded round and will reach vitals even if shot through a car door, window, through an arm, ect.

With those hollow points, if it goes in an arm, it'll expand in the arm, exit the arm and try to enter the chest cavity while already expanded through skin, bone, and muscle.

The .380 doesn't have the case capacity that other rounds have to give it the extra power to possibly reach vitals if it already expanded after going through an arm or other such barrier.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 9:15:24 AM EDT
[#17]
I would buy two boxes of the Buffalo Bore you linked OP. I would shoot the first box for practice and to make sure it functions in your gun and your carry magazines. Also so you can get a feel for what to expect recoil wise. If they run and group 100% then I wouldn't hesitate to carry these.

I carry the same truncated cone, (flat point), Hard Cast Lead "Keith Bullet" from Buffalo Bore in .45Super and in 9mm. Both are true outdoorsman loads and will do a number on 2 and 4 legged preditors. This style bullet is fantastic against barriers. I've shot thru sheet metal/car doors and the bullet gets to the target behind objects like that. Just make sure you hit what you are aiming at... Another favorite of mine is BB's wad cutter hard cast pills in .38 Special. They are devastating hitting tissue and bone from my experience and also make a good "woods load" for a discrete pocket carry .38Snub. I carry these when walking our GSD's after dark. Lately coyotes have been a problem at both our primary and mountain home.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top