Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2017 2:18:39 PM EDT
Defensive ammo is expensive (I just picked up some Hornady Critical Defense) and I want to know opinions on the minimum number of rounds I need to shoot through my pistols
before I can confidently say that I trust that particular ammo in that particular pistol. 

Maybe this is a dumb question but I've heard reports of certain bullet types giving feed problems to mag fed pistols. The last thing I want to do is put ammo in a gun that it's never
shot before and have feeding problems in a stress situation. 

I'm shooting a Springfield XDS 3.3" and a Glock 19.3 and I'll be using Hornady Critical Defense 115 GR Flex Tip.

I bought this ammo because I've head great luck with Hornady Critical Duty 135 GR Flex Lock in a Ruger SR9.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 2:31:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I typically do a 500 round rule for break in.  300 of ball and 200 of SD ammo.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 2:31:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I shoot 2 loaded mags. call it G2G. Some folks aka James Yeager/Ried Hendricks say a coupe hundred rounds. Thats overkill. If its new made ammo and it cycles, its OKIE DOKIE.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 2:34:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I shoot 2 loaded mags. call it G2G. Some folks aka James Yeager/Ried Hendricks say a coupe hundred rounds. Thats overkill. If its new made ammo and it cycles, its OKIE DOKIE.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 2:37:08 PM EDT
[#4]
First off dump the Hornady crap and get some Federal HST 124 gr standard pressure.
50 round boxes from Targetsportsusa
I shoot a box through each pistol and then I feel comfortable
I have done countless hours of ballistic gel testing with various barriers and federal HST 124 standard pressure outperformed every other round in 9mm.
Hornady came out very poorly
In .357 Sig Underwood jacketed hollow point was awesome as well as Cobon DPX 125mg
In .45 short barrel like a Shield .45 Remington Golden Saber 185+P (flying ashtray) and Corbon DPX 185+P were both stellar performers
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 2:46:46 PM EDT
[#5]
In my pistols that have thousands of rounds through them with no problems? A couple of mags.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 3:04:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Well 1, I suppose
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 4:48:58 PM EDT
[#7]
It depends upon the risk/consequences of being wrong.

22 Rounds with no failures delivers a 90% confidence interval that the lot is at least 90% free of failures.

29 Rounds with no failures delivers a 95% confidence interval that the lot is at least 90% free of failures.

59 rounds gets 95%/95%.

459 Rounds gets 99%/99%.

Note I've taken some liberties with the attributes sampling rules, but the numbers above give you an idea of how many rounds it takes to have a given statistical confidence for a lot of ammo to be free of amunition caused failures.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 4:54:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 5:14:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Any time I switch loads I put a box of 50 through it and use the next 50 for carry.  I am still breathing. 
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 6:27:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I break in the gun with 200 to 300 rounds of standard ball ammo, then I run at least a box of 50 carry rounds through to test.  
If everything goes well, before I load my carry mags, I first field strip the pistol, then with the barrel out I drop each round into the chamber to ensure they will seat fully/easily.  
While it may not be likely that you'd encounter a problem with premium SD rounds, it's an extra ounce of prevention that could pay off in a life-or-death situation.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 6:30:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Depends on the pistol and the ammo.

Gen 3 9mm glock with Speer gold dots?

Buy, load mag, put in holster and I'll trust it to go bang.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:15:56 PM EDT
[#12]
200 minimum.

Why?

I had a good stock of Corbon 9mm 115JHP+P that I was planning on using (back when my only carry gun was a G19. Close to 100 rounds of testing and I had several failures to feed. No way could I trust that ammo now. I then bought close to 400 rounds of Federal's 9BPLE. 200+ rounds thru the same pistol and magazines and not one failure.

I'd never trust any pistol with my life without a minimum of 200 rounds of the SD ammo tested with the magazines that I intend to use and with zero malfunctions.

YMMV
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 12:39:48 AM EDT
[#13]
150 to 200 rounds of ball, and about 50 rounds of premium. I would ditch the Critical Defense and stick with the Critical Duty if you are committed to Hornady. Otherwise I would find some HST or Gold Dots.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 10:24:34 AM EDT
[#14]
'Seems to be very little love for the Hornady Defense ammo around here.
It seemed to perform well in tests and it is reasonably priced is why I chose it.
My focus was more on reliability than on finding an ammo that performed the absolute best in every ballistics test.
I am open to trying other brands- maybe some Speer Gold Dot if I can find it locally.
Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 4:43:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
'Seems to be very little love for the Hornady Defense ammo around here.
It seemed to perform well in tests and it is reasonably priced is why I chose it.
My focus was more on reliability than on finding an ammo that performed the absolute best in every ballistics test.
I am open to trying other brands- maybe some Speer Gold Dot if I can find it locally.
Thanks everyone.
View Quote
It’s light on penetration.Link
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 10:12:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
In my pistols that have thousands of rounds through them with no problems? A couple of mags.
View Quote
This - If it's a trusted pistol.  If it's a new pistol it takes more rounds.  At least 200 rounds of ball and at least 50 rounds of HP SD ammo.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 12:45:52 AM EDT
[#17]
I'll generally run a couple mags of SD ammo to ensure function after firing a few hundred rounds of ball.

The reality is that most modern guns with modern self defense ammo won't give you an issue.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 6:43:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Depending on your barrel length Speer gold dot 124+P is a relatively poor performer out of short barrels. It is at it's best with a full size service pistol.
You won't find a better reasonably priced all purpose round than the HST 124gr standard pressure. Look it up on targetsportsusa
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 11:17:45 AM EDT
[#19]
I always took my new CCW to a IDPA or USPSA match.  Not always the most competitive gun depending on what division is fell into but figure that is the best test of new gun.  Test the ammo, the magazine, shooting and reloading under pressure of the clock.  If it can get through two or three matches without a malfunction I figure its good to go for carry.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 11:22:51 AM EDT
[#20]
I have one, and maybe two G17s that I just got all of the copper crud out, installed night sights, lubed, loaded and carried without firing a single round.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 12:05:31 PM EDT
[#21]
I have yet to find a single handgun that won't feed Critical Duty reliably (given, the taper is actually sharper than a FMJ), so honestly I would carry it any handgun I own that feeds FMJ reliably without a second thought...

Back when I was carrying Gold Dot 147's I would generally fire two mags through a new carry gun to ensure function after shooting a ton of FMJ.  I have now shot up all my old Gold Dot stock (~500), and never had any malfunctions through any of my carry guns.

I carry nothing but Glocks though, so thats kinda expected

Link Posted: 10/12/2017 1:18:18 PM EDT
[#22]
For real life and death  500 rounds with ZERO issues of ANY kind and decent performance on target.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 1:38:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
For real life and death  500 rounds with ZERO issues of ANY kind and decent performance on target.
View Quote
500 rounds of carry ammunition?  If so that's ludicrous...

You realize that LE agencies around the country (with a much higher likelihood of actually having to use their sidearm) don't even do that.

My agency when adopting a new service pistol purchases several cases of the proposed ammunition and several sample pistols for testing.  Once the handgun and ammunition selection proves reliable, the guns and ammunition is purchased in volume and is issued to officers.  The qualification is done with nothing but FMJ (Speer Lawman), and duty ammunition is loaded without ever firing a round of it through the individual issued pistol.  

The fact is, if you are carrying a big name defensive auto (Glock, M&P, P320, etc.) it's going to work just fine with modern defensive loads.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 7:25:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have yet to find a single handgun that won't feed Critical Duty reliably (given, the taper is actually sharper than a FMJ), so honestly I would carry it any handgun I own that feeds FMJ reliably without a second thought...

Back when I was carrying Gold Dot 147's I would generally fire two mags through a new carry gun to ensure function after shooting a ton of FMJ.  I have now shot up all my old Gold Dot stock (~500), and never had any malfunctions through any of my carry guns.

I carry nothing but Glocks though, so thats kinda expected

View Quote
I needed to hear that encouragement since I'm such a cheapskate and don't want to spend $100's of dollars on defensive ammo just to make sure it feeds. 
I have about 600 rounds of FMJ through my XDS without any feeding, firing, extracting, or ejecting failures of any kind.
I think I'll run a few magazines of defensive ammo through it and call it good. 

My G19.3 has been a been a problem child with some ejection issues but I think I have those worked out. 
Need put more FMJ through that one.....
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 12:01:02 PM EDT
[#25]
150 rounds for SD ammo. Fifty rounds through each magazine with no malfunctions before I'm comfortable carrying that ammo/magazine/gun combination.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 2:17:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You realize that LE agencies around the country (with a much higher likelihood of actually having to use their sidearm) don't even do that.

My agency when adopting a new service pistol purchases several cases of the proposed ammunition and several sample pistols for testing.  Once the handgun and ammunition selection proves reliable, the guns and ammunition is purchased in volume and is issued to officers.  The qualification is done with nothing but FMJ (Speer Lawman), and duty ammunition is loaded without ever firing a round of it through the individual issued pistol.  

The fact is, if you are carrying a big name defensive auto (Glock, M&P, P320, etc.) it's going to work just fine with modern defensive loads.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is your life.

Feel free to choose.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 2:24:23 PM EDT
[#27]
None, I’m to broke for all that, my brand new 43 has 50 rounds of Tula through it and I’m carrying it with HST’s I didn’t test fire, I like living on the edge!!
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 10:00:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
None, I’m to broke for all that, my brand new 43 has 50 rounds of Tula through it and I’m carrying it with HST’s I didn’t test fire, I like living on the edge!!
View Quote
High probability of everything going bang. The confidence of ensuring it does and it's accurate is worth a few boxes of premium ammo to me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top