Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2017 8:33:11 AM EDT
I just picked up my first 10mm (Dan Wesson Valor) and I am taking it to the range tomorrow. What is your go to round? If you have different “go to’s” depending on application then what are they? Thanks, I am trying to educate myself.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 8:55:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I pretty much only use my 10mm for hunting.  I have two loads I like, both handloads.  Hornady XTP 180gr @~1300 fps and Hornady XTP 200gr @~1250 fps.  I believe Underwood offers basically the same loads for sale if you're not a handloader.  The XTP bullet is a tough bullet and works well as a hunting bullet.  Put two does in the freezer last year with the 200gr load.

https://underwoodammo.com/product/handgun-ammo/10mm-auto-180-grain-xtp-jacketed-hollow-point/
https://underwoodammo.com/product/handgun-ammo/10mm-auto-200-grain-xtp-jacketed-hollow-point/
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 9:44:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Buffalo Bore & Underwood.

If you don't handload, that's about it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 3:21:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I just picked up my first 10mm (Dan Wesson Valor) and I am taking it to the range tomorrow. What is your go to round? If you have different “go to’s” depending on application then what are they? Thanks, I am trying to educate myself.
View Quote

I use a Glock 40, it is fun to shoot.

Just a FYI, even for just target practice, the full power ammo is more fun to shoot.

I like Underwood and use them but Buffalo Bore has a good reputation too ... and their website has many excellent articles.

Conceal Carry:
I like shooting the 200gr XTP. Its a heavy bullet that will get the job done. Some say this is too good at penetrating for humans or dogs. I like the 200gr because the velocity envelope is around 750-1200fps whereas the 180gr is 1100-1800fps (roughly ... I cannot find their documentation yet)

I imagine they are devastating but I dont buy the bonded bullets  (Gold Dots) they have because they are pushed beyond the design envelope. I have a 6in barrel but would consider them with a 3in barrel.

I do not consider 155gr XTP for self defense because it does 11in in gel which is short. I dont want to do my job only to have the bullet fail.

Backup mags:
100-115gr copper Defenders. Not street proven but they work on hogs from what hunters tell me, and they are light. Bot armor piercing but on hard barriers these penetrate better than heavy flat nose.

Hunting:
For deer 180-200gr xtp works well based on what hunters here have told me. I can dig the link up if you are interested...

For hogs: I use 200gr Flat Nose but Hardcast is probably best. The Xtreme penetrator is a tempting but expensive option too. If you use 220gr hardcast make sure it does not keyhole .... does for some people.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 6:03:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I use 180 gold dots and XTPs for hunting. 180 home cast and coated for practice and plinking. I buy the occasional box of SIG 180 FMJs for stockpiling.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 1:01:13 AM EDT
[#5]
180 grain bullet, 10 grains of Blue Dot.  Winchester primer.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 6:40:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Underwood Gold Dots.

Sig makes a nice 180gr FMJ for practice though. It's cheap and not neutered.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 12:47:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Underwood 180 grain XTP as I value penetration over expansion. I've found it to be a good general load. In bear country I use Underwoods 200 grain hardcast load but thankfully haven't needed to try it out on a bear.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 10:10:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Favorite? I roll my own.

But for CCW I pack my 1991 Colt Delta Elite full of Doubletap 165-grain Golden Saber JHP (1425 fps = 744 ft-lbs out of a 4.6" bbl. My 5" Bar-Sto barrel ought to give a tad more).
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 4:32:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm new to 10mm but right now I'm using 180 gr XTP for carry. The gel tests by The Chopping Block and tnoutdoors9 both showed outstanding penetration and expansion. It shoots really well too. I think this is an excellent general purpose load.

For practice I like the Sig 180 gr FMJ.

For plinking I've found S&B for about $18 a box, which is cheap bit I think it's loaded down to 40ish level. I will probably get a 40 barrel for light plinking instead.

ETA I'm really looking forward to handloading for 10mm I just haven't got around to it yet.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 7:08:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Sig 180 v crowns for the few occasions that I carry my 10MM. Handloaded 180 Hornady XTPs or Speer 180 Gold Dots for deer hunting. Powder coated 180 lead for practice.
I buy Sig 180 FMJ for stocking up purposes.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 12:26:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Underwood
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 11:48:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Underwood
View Quote
I have a box of their 150gr Xtreme Hunter round. Seems pretty bad ass
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 3:48:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Speer 200 grain factory gold dots or Buffalo Bore 180 JHP are my two favorites right now. Speer is for general purpose while BB is for predator duty.
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 12:00:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sig 180 v crowns for the few occasions that I carry my 10MM. Handloaded 180 Hornady XTPs or Speer 180 Gold Dots for deer hunting. Powder coated 180 lead for practice.
I buy Sig 180 FMJ for stocking up purposes.
View Quote
I would not carry the Sig V-Crown ammo. I've only shot about 100 rounds of 38 Super and another 100 of 10mm V-Crown but in both cases the ammo was inconsistent at best. Out of every 10 rounds, 5 or 6 would be "ok" - 2 would be so underpowered as to not even cycle the action of the gun I was shooting it out of, and the other 2 would be so overcharged that each time it happened I unloaded and inspected the gun to make sure it didn't actually have a physical breakage. All of this was in the last 12 months, so it's not like it was a long time ago. It is WAY to inconsistent for me to ever trust for more than range ammo.

Weirdly, the Sig practice ball ammo is a lot more consistent and a lot better. I've gone through more than 400 rounds of their 10mm with zero issues; consistent cycling and the brass all lands in roughly the same place; two things I could not say about the V-crown stuff out of the same gun.

Maybe Sig will get the V-Crown line dialed in...but until then, I wouldn't use it for anything important.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 6:04:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Speer 200 grain factory gold dots or Buffalo Bore 180 JHP are my two favorites right now. Speer is for general purpose while BB is for predator duty.
View Quote
I have never seen or heard of a 200 grain Gold Dot.  Got a link?
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 7:20:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cabelas. Had to order online only. Bought enough to last a few years.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 8:38:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Underwood 180 grain XTP as I value penetration over expansion. I've found it to be a good general load. In bear country I use Underwoods 200 grain hardcast load but thankfully haven't needed to try it out on a bear.
View Quote
This. ^^^^

Hardcast for bear country. Some people here are using defensive jacketed hollow point ammo designed for humans in bear country. Big mistake!
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 1:12:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This. ^^^^

Hardcast for bear country. Some people here are using defensive jacketed hollow point ammo designed for humans in bear country. Big mistake!
View Quote
The OP asked for "go-to" loads for different applications.  He never limited it to just hunting bears.  A wide variety of loads for a wide variety of uses have been recommended.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 8:01:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The OP asked for "go-to" loads for different applications.  He never limited it to just hunting bears.  A wide variety of loads for a wide variety of uses have been recommended.
View Quote
And people gave their loads for various purposes. Some recommended a load for self defense and some recommended a load for woods carry.

I'm not going to quote anyone specifically for various reasons but you can read up above.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 8:13:19 AM EDT
[#20]
My own.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 10:47:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
Quoted:
Buffalo Bore & Underwood.
If you don't handload, that's about it.
View Quote
Yeah, if you're going to get into the 10mm AUTO big time, there are two essential requirements:

(1) In factory ammo,  avoid buying any watered-down "40-level" wus loads.  First, it's a frickin' insult to the true origins of the cartridge and, worse, you risk having your man-card confiscated just shooting that crap, which is mainly any "10mm" ammo you see on the shelf that's boxed by any one of the Big Three. Second and more importantly, you're wasting your money  -  all you're doing is paying for down-loaded .40-performance out of the more expensive 10mm case. If you want to play at that energy level, you should've just gotten a .40 and been done with it.

(2) Although, yes, there are ammo-makers who load real high-performance, high-quality 10mm ammo, you should get set up to RELOAD for the cartridge. That's where you'll discover the 10mm's true ballistic potential and huge versatility of use across a wide range of bullet-weights and styles, including the heavy hard-cast bullets. Personally, I've been playing with the SNS poly-coated 220gn hard-cast FN slugs in the 1250fps+ range from my Glock 40. Awesome woods load right there ...
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 12:49:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. ^^^^

Exactly.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 6:19:15 PM EDT
[#23]
No one said it should be limited to bears. Someone did say however that they use a jacketed hollow point for defense against one unless I mistook what he was saying regarding predators. Perhaps he meant predators to be deer. In that case, I'm dead wrong.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 11:32:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm glad you mentioned this, I had been wanting them to make a 200gr Gold Dot for 10mm and wasn't aware of it coming out. It seems this load does around 1050fps which many seem to prefer for self defense against humans. Well it will be interesting to see some gel tests I wonder if this is the same bullet used when they experimented with the 200gr a whiel back (Chopping Block test linked in other comments) or if they engineered it for 10mm.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 11:49:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm glad you mentioned this, I had been wanting them to make a 200gr Gold Dot for 10mm and wasn't aware of it coming out. It seems this load does around 1050fps which many seem to prefer for self defense against humans. Well it will be interesting to see some gel tests I wonder if this is the same bullet used when they experimented with the 200gr a whiel back (Chopping Block test linked in other comments) or if they engineered it for 10mm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's been sitting in my mind trying to figure out exactly why they went with 200 instead of 180 that's already being used. What is hypothetical only is that they were not happy with the disintegration of the 180 and no matter how much they load developed, it still fragmented so possibly they went with 200 after they did the math and scienced it to get something that they were happy with.

My one shot chronographed and into simtest media calibrated to FBI specs with the new clothing requirement, I got 1049 and 22.3 inches. No disintegration and the retained weight was 199.7.

If you're interested, I can email you the expansion size with caliper pic.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 6:08:24 PM EDT
[#26]
I just found out about the factory gold dot. Saw a video of a guy getting 1100+ fps 200gr out of a 5” barrel. Very nice!
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 7:07:03 PM EDT
[#27]
I'd really like to see the 200 grain projectiles themselves being released to the market so that myself and others can really see what we can do with it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 10:27:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It's been sitting in my mind trying to figure out exactly why they went with 200 instead of 180 that's already being used. What is hypothetical only is that they were not happy with the disintegration of the 180 and no matter how much they load developed, it still fragmented so possibly they went with 200 after they did the math and scienced it to get something that they were happy with.

My one shot chronographed and into simtest media calibrated to FBI specs with the new clothing requirement, I got 1049 and 22.3 inches. No disintegration and the retained weight was 199.7.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, awesome yes I would love that! Thanks! I can delete after I see it if you like.

Well 200 is a round number, and I suppose I'd rather have that over 180gr unless they could push the 180gr faster ... but who knows they can obviously make the 9mm perform at higher velocities so I wonder why they didn't use 180gr as well.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 4:55:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Guys, particularly @GSL

What do you think of 180gr Federal Trophy Bonded? It seems a pretty good round to me, a bit hotter than most 180gr and in the few tests I have seen it seems to do well.

I am just asking out of interest, seems it would be similar to the Gold Dots...
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 5:07:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Guys, particularly @GSL

What do you think of 180gr Federal Trophy Bonded? It seems a pretty good round to me, a bit hotter than most 180gr and in the few tests I have seen it seems to do well.

View Quote
I cannot give you the answer, this is the first time that I've heard of that particular 10mm.

Who's the best online source to pick up a box to test?
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 6:15:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I cannot give you the answer, this is the first time that I've heard of that particular 10mm.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Guys, particularly @GSL

Oh, here is a test that made me think about it FYI.

My Absolute Favorite Best Millimeter: 10mm Federal 180gr Trophy Bonded JSP Gel Test

Here is the Federal page on it for reference: Federal Premium Trophy Bonded

Dang, seems to be out of stock in many places. About $35 on Midwayusa is the ONLY place I can find it. A bit pricey but I suppose for a hunting round thats okay...

By the way I think my email to Striker about testing ideas didnt go through, Ill need to try again tonight.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 10:35:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTAdVZXLnb0

Dang, seems to be out of stock in many places. About $35 on Midwayusa is the ONLY place I can find it. A bit pricey but I suppose for a hunting round thats okay...

By the way I think my email to Striker about testing ideas didnt go through, Ill need to try again tonight.
View Quote
My curiosity and being such a fan of the only do all semi auto handgun cartridge that is the mighty 10mm, I ordered a box from them to test.

Thanks for the heads up on who has it online.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 11:47:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Dang, seems to be out of stock in many places. About $35 on Midwayusa is the ONLY place I can find it. A bit pricey but I suppose for a hunting round thats okay... * * *
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Guys, particularly @GSL

Dang, seems to be out of stock in many places. About $35 on Midwayusa is the ONLY place I can find it. A bit pricey but I suppose for a hunting round thats okay... * * *
Yeah, that 180gn TB load @ 1275fps was Federal's first credible marketing of a 10mm product at real 10mm velocities since the late 1980s.

Full-power for a 180gn 10mm load  is about 1325fps, so for Federal that's pretty decent.

And obviously, it's directed toward handgun hunters, especially those whose 10mm guns have 6" barrels, e.g., G40s and some 1911s, like DW's 'Bruin', and of course the old S&W 6.5" 610 wheelies.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 1:48:01 PM EDT
[#34]
The recently released 200gr Speer Gold Dot.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 4:18:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Hornady Critical Defense for HD.

Buffalo Bore SWC “Bear Loads” for Woods carry

Sig 180 grain FMJ for target practice

I’m starting to load my own reloads from my saved brass. 180 grain FMJ over a stout dose of Power Pistol. I’d have to look st the book but I believe it was around 7.2 grains of PP. Felt similar to the stock Sig ammo but no chrono yet.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 7:31:39 PM EDT
[#36]
@kev10mm

A friend called seeing if I wanted to test some ammo and see what I thought oh his home brew gel. He had old jeans and not the right threading and no pellet rifle to see if it was properly calibrated

Anyways, the bear claw zipped right though all 23 inches, it expanded for sure but it clean passed through the water jugs behind it so no recovery.

Man that one was stout to fire
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 8:41:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
@kev10mm

A friend called seeing if I wanted to test some ammo and see what I thought oh his home brew gel. He had old jeans and not the right threading and no pellet rifle to see if it was properly calibrated

Anyways, the bear claw zipped right though all 23 inches, it expanded for sure but it clean passed through the water jugs behind it so no recovery.

Man that one was stout to fire
View Quote
Damns that is bad ass! Maybe I will need to order some as well!
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 1:33:28 PM EDT
[#38]
For range ammo, I load my own.  For carry,  I use Double Tap 180 grain Gold Dots for my Glock 20 and their 165 grain Golden Sabre for my Glock 29.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 5:40:21 PM EDT
[#39]
G20, I'm running the Sig 180gr for CCW, for the wild it's the Ted Nugent (Doubletap) 200gr.

Delta Elite carry-comp likes the lighter, speedy loads, so usually Underwood or Doubletap 135's, CCW only.

G29 gets just the 155gr stuff, CCW only.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top