Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2017 10:01:50 PM EDT
I picked up a glock 40 MOS this year and have added a vortex venom and lone wolf alpha wolf threaded barrel. I want to try and take a deer with it this season and am looking for some ammo opinions. I already have some Hornady 180 XTP's which I'm sure would be adequate, but am interested in the hotter Underwood and BB loadings as well. Thanks in advance for any input.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 10:14:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a G20 and was thinking about it for same type of thing or just side arm when hunting. I would go with the underwood or BB rounds since lots of hogs around here.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 10:26:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I used Hornady 200gr XTP/MAG bullets in 10mm Auto (@1250fps) last year and had good results.  I hand loaded them but I believe Underwood may offer the 200gr XTP in one of their offerings.  

One of the 200gr XTP's, on a high shoulder shot, punched though a shoulder blade and the spine and still exited.  Can't ask for much more from a 10mm bullet.  Both does dropped in their tracks.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 11:00:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I used Hornady 200gr XTP/MAG bullets in 10mm Auto (@1250fps) last year and had good results.  I hand loaded them but I believe Underwood may offer the 200gr XTP in one of their offerings.  

https://i.imgur.com/l48IrH7l.jpg

One of the 200gr XTP's, on a high shoulder shot, punched though a shoulder blade and the spine and still exited.  Can't ask for much more from a 10mm bullet.  Both does dropped in their tracks.
View Quote
Can't really argue with that. Underwood offers the xtp's in 155, 180, and 200 grain.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 12:27:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I have had good luck from handloaded 180XTPs at about 1250 fps. Hopefully going to try 180 Gold Dots this year.
https://i.imgur.com/9EPsdHv.jpg
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 11:00:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Hard to go wrong on whitetail I think, as @mcb has shown 200gr XTP will do well. On other threads/forums other hunters have told me a 180gr XTP will break both shoulders of a whitetail too.

And yes Underwood has a 200gr XTP ... it'll be hotter than Hornady.

Underwood just released a new bullet for hunting today called the XTreme Hunter I may try next season in my Glock 40.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 12:37:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies. Definitely gonna pick up some xtp's. I'm curious about the new xtreme hunters as well.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 8:47:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/l48IrH7l.jpg

View Quote
That right there is all of 10mm awesome!  Great shooting!
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 11:14:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh and OP if you buy Underwood XTPs I recommend getting a stiffer spring. I could not cycle them reliably in 180 or 200gr until I got a 22# Spring.

Yep I sort of want to try hunting with the XTreme defender in 10mm but I'd need a really good shot. I'd like to analyze how well the bullet performs as claimed.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 4:38:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I just saw the Xtreme Hunter advertised on Underwood's Facebook page the other day and I'm intrigued. Looks very interesting but would like to at a minimum see some gel tests first.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 10:05:23 PM EDT
[#10]
A number have been dropped stone cold dead with factory .40 ammo, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.  The XTP is good and so is the Gold Dot.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 10:08:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I had bullet failure with the 180gr XTP from a G20 on a Blue Wildebeest in South Africa in 2004. Not sure I would trust that bullet from a longer barrel with a higher velocity. If it's an all around bullet choice and you have bears anywhere nearby, consider going with the new Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claw in 10mm, it's a much tougher bullet that will still expand to about .50 cal.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 8:49:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I had bullet failure with the 180gr XTP from a G20 on a Blue Wildebeest in South Africa in 2004. Not sure I would trust that bullet from a longer barrel with a higher velocity. If it's an all around bullet choice and you have bears anywhere nearby, consider going with the new Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claw in 10mm, it's a much tougher bullet that will still expand to about .50 cal.
View Quote
I believe the 40 cal 180gr XTP (along with several other bullets in the XTP line) have gone through a design revision some time in the early 201X.  The old 40 cal 180gr XTP was a truncated cone the new is a Round Shoulder profile.  I believe it was done to address some velocity related issues and feed reliability issue.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 11:57:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Out of curiosity what do you mean by bullet failure? Failed to penetrate? Failed to expand? Just curious.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top