Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2017 11:07:31 PM EDT
I know there were numerous problems with the older stuff. Has the new stuff improved at all? I can't seem to find much data on it post 2015.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 11:15:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Haven't really looked at it since it came out yet the new stuff on the newer version of it puts it on par with pretty much everything out there now. I still miss the Black Talons personally.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 12:41:15 AM EDT
[#2]
The story I heard is the FBI tested the 147 gr. 9mm G2 and the results were so great that the testers were selling their .45's and buying Glock 17's.
Then I heard when the G2 round actually hit production the results wern't as good, and Speer went back to the drawing board.
Don't know what became of it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 1:12:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The story I heard is the FBI tested the 147 gr. 9mm G2 and the results were so great that the testers were selling their .45's and buying Glock 17's.
Then I heard when the G2 round actually hit production the results wern't as good, and Speer went back to the drawing board.
Don't know what became of it.
View Quote
This seems fishy to me ... ive heard experts like Massad Ayoob say they were impressed, but i dont get how the initial testing could be great and repeatable but speer cannot reproduce it like the first batch...

I dont know if I can trust them now .... :( It seems unlikely they werent aware that the first batch was worse than the original.

Also while i like to circlejerk to boutique ammo too honestly do you really think it will matter if the FBI had just used the original 147gr gold dot or ranger T?
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 3:12:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This seems fishy to me ... ive heard experts like Massad Ayoob say they were impressed, but i dont get how the initial testing could be great and repeatable but speer cannot reproduce it like the first batch...

I dont know if I can trust them now .... :( It seems unlikely they werent aware that the first batch was worse than the original.

Also while i like to circlejerk to boutique ammo too honestly do you really think it will matter if the FBI had just used the original 147gr gold dot or ranger T?
View Quote
 I think the G2 appeal is more about consistent expansion following barrier penetration rather than a superior expanded profile in general.  Similar concept to Critical Duty, but it appears with greater max diameter similar to most contemporary duty loads.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 8:08:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Here is a test I did a few months ago. I thought it did OK but I don't think it's much better than a lot of other rounds that are commonly available at better prices.

http://www.general-cartridge.com/blog/speer-9mm-147gr-g2-gold-dot-in-clear-ballistics-gel
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 10:19:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Here is a test I did a few months ago. I thought it did OK but I don't think it's much better than a lot of other rounds that are commonly available at better prices.

https://generalcartridge.wordpress.com/2017/03/29/speer-9mm-147gr-g2-gold-dot-in-clear-ballistics-gel/
View Quote
I had forgotten your test. Yes it seems to do well now out of a standard barrel... I am still a bit uncomfortable because I do not trust they will not have anither bad batch. If they released a statement on the bad batch I would feel better
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 10:21:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I think the G2 appeal is more about consistent expansion following barrier penetration rather than a superior expanded profile in general.  Similar concept to Critical Duty, but it appears with greater max diameter similar to most contemporary duty loads.
View Quote
I think it does sound appealing in that way, and assuming 5pins results are the norm now it does look good.

But the original gold dot did do well on barriers.  Ive heard this does better however.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 12:52:03 PM EDT
[#8]
G2 is just expensive plinking ammo.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 3:00:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Just get HST. Its practically free these days.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 4:09:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just get HST. Its practically free these days.
View Quote
Agreed.

I think the 147gr +P did partially well. Even though it's a +P round, I didn't find the extra velocity to be objectable and for under $20 a box, it's a no brainer.    

Federal 9mm 124gr +P HST in Clear Balistics gel.

Federal 9mm 124gr HST in Clear Ballistics gel.

Federal 9mm HST 147gr +P in Clear Ballistics gel.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 11:57:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Just as an FYI, be careful about buying G2 ammo sight unseen, unless it's from a reputable dealer. One of my local dealers has a pile of 9mm 147gr in 50 round boxes that have a white label on one end of the box stating that the ammo should not be used for law enforcement or defensive purposes (or something to that effect). The dealer told me that they got the ammo cheap from Speer because a shelf collapsed at the factory, and they couldn't guarantee the ammo involved in the collapse. The 50-round boxes are selling for around $24 (I think G2 is usually closer to $30). I picked up a couple boxes just to test how they cycled through my Glocks, but I'm sticking with standard Gold Dots for the time being.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 5:44:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Many times in the past Speer has sold their screw ups with a disclaimer.

There was a batch of 40 Short and Weak that did not have primer pockets sealed or the bullet sealed.  
They were being sold in 250 count boxes with customized Speer label.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 11:11:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There was a batch of 40 Short and Weak that did not have primer pockets sealed or the bullet sealed.  
They were being sold in 250 count boxes with customized Speer label.
View Quote
Years ago.  I'm talking about ~15 or so.  I bought a crap load of Gold Dot 9MM 124gr +P that were "defective" or not for police or SD use.  

They were loose in a plastic bag, 250ct in a small cardboard box. $40 if I remember correctly.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 10:22:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Now that you mention it, I recall buying a cheap 50-round box of 124 gr +P at a show, back when Gold Dots came in the gold colored box. When I got home, I discovered a clear label on the back of the box that said something about the ammo being "derated" (or some term like that) and not recommended for law enforcement use. I guess it does offer opportunities to buy Gold Dots at a more affordable price for testing and training.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 6:27:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I just tested a few rounds of what was suppose to be the newer G2 and It failed to expand and blew right thru the 16" gel block and I didn't recover the round.. next outing when it gets cooler I'll take two blocks and give it another try.. but its definitely nothing I'd carry, every HST I put in the block expanded like a perfect flower...
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 6:59:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I just tested a few rounds of what was suppose to be the newer G2 and It failed to expand and blew right thru the 16" gel block and I didn't recover the round.. next outing when it gets cooler I'll take two blocks and give it another try.. but its definitely nothing I'd carry, every HST I put in the block expanded like a perfect flower...
View Quote
Could you tell us what gun? Out of a 3in varrel thats maybe ok, out or a full size handgun that's not good.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 8:13:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Could you tell us what gun? Out of a 3in varrel thats maybe ok, out or a full size handgun that's not good.
View Quote
Was out of G4 19 at 10ft from bare gel didn't even attempt it with heavy clothing in front of gel..
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 2:02:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Was out of G4 19 at 10ft from bare gel didn't even attempt it with heavy clothing in front of gel..
View Quote
Thanks.

So here we have a consistently demonstrated quality issue. The new Good Dot is maybe slightly better than the old one when performing as advertised.

I don't see how anyone could justify buying this for carry/duty use over the original Gold Dot, or Rangers/HST/DPX, at least not for years when we can verify the quality issue is taken care of.

Just my thoughts ... I would love for it to be the next best thing.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 9:12:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
White box?  What year is the headstamp?  Looking forward to further testing, I thought the new stuff was good and was going to buy some soon
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 11:36:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
White box?  What year is the headstamp?  Looking forward to further testing, I thought the new stuff was good and was going to buy some soon
View Quote
No original black G2 box stuff, the old box of it I have is marked 15 new stuff is 16, not sure if they have any from this year or not ? I'm melting my gel blocks today that way I can take it with me next outing to the range...
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 12:29:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Ok so went out this morning and shot just a few of the new and old G2 all the older made in 15 did not expand and most passed through two gel blocks only caught one round, the newer marked 16 did expand but was inconsistent here is a pic the one that's not expanded is the old stuff also some HST and two Winchester ranger

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top