BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2017 5:08:48 PM EDT

Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:20:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Shocked.  Shocked I say.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:28:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I have some Winchesters on my desk that look like that.  I also have photos of the spalling inside the chamber.  

You may be able to just send photos to them on their website for them to take action.  I know Winchester does it that way, but I just haven't done it yet. 

Is there more than one bullet in your barrel?  If so, the barrel may be fucked. There were three in the Sig Mosquito barrel.  It bulged so bad I couldn't open it.  Sig had to replace the barrel and Remington paid for it.  

Life is too short for cheap ammo.  I neck-bearded all of mine to buy CCI.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:30:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Cheap ammo is cheap
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 6:23:09 PM EDT
[#4]
you only bought a hundred?
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 6:33:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
you only bought a hundred?
View Quote
that was the second smartest thing he could have done right after not buying any
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 6:43:10 PM EDT
[#6]
The Remington Golden bullets are notorious for inconsistent crimp on the bullets or bullets that are to large of diameter.  Looks like the pistol was slightly out of battery when the cartridge ignited.   Some batches of Remington Golden bullets are a little better than other batches but they are all very dirty.  My hands are usually filthy after a day shooying Golden bullets.   I much prefer CCI or Aguila 22 LR and haven't bought any Remington rimfire since other brands have been available.

Remington Golden bullets have many cartridges which do not have priming compound in the entire rim where you get many failure to fire.  Rotate the cartridge to where the firing pin hits in a different location and it may or may not fire.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 9:00:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 9:07:12 PM EDT
[#8]
The Remington 100 packs of 40 grain round nose may be of dubious quality, but they are not cheap.  Dick's/Cabelas/others have them at top of the lines prices.

The culprit bullet in this case was pushed forward out the end of the barrel with minimal effort and no damage after taking out the bolt.  I did not fire it again after the smoke and "pop" from the wrong end of the barrel.  The case was still in the chamber.  Loose to remove pulling the bolt back.

Stripping a Ruger I can do blindfolded, more or less.  I've had a late 1950's RST-6" since I was an older infant.  A family friend sold me cases of 40RN HS Golden Bullets, one case a year, at 25 cents over what a case cost, through 8 years of college.  I shared them with nobody and he did it for no one else.  In the 1950s-1960s-1970s, ONE misfire from bad priming in a brick was unusual.  Often there were none in a brick.  The RST-6 was worn inside to death and put away for nearly 40 years until Ruger rebuilt it to new.  Quality of Remington went to H in about 2007.

After the replies, I looked in the action.

The burst case was the 23rd round fired from the box of 100 through a freshly stripped and cleaned pistol.  There is a bunch of yellow powder grains and some black in the rear of the barrel.  It is possible it accumulated from faulty burning during the first 22 rounds or it could be from the blown case.  I don't know which.

Looking at the firing pin mark of the blown case, it seems lighter:

Than the firing pin marks on four other fired cases I saved:

Un-burned powder holding the bolt partly open would also be a reason for a head burst.  The firing pin got to the case and the strike was hard enough to fire the primer compound.  The burst case where the metal wings split is an even "clam" opening around part that did not tear, but is bulged outward the same amount as the torn out wings.  You just cannot see the non-torn bulge part.

This burst case could be caused by crappy brass like from Remington's 2007 problems causing a burst from metallurgy, OR, it could be caused by crappy powder that won't burn right left in the action holding the bolt open leaving a ring of unsupported brass just ahead of the case?  Got me.

Oddly enough, a few days ago, a Glock Advantage Arms kit and a Beretta M9-.22LR burned 200 rounds of this ammo without a hitch.

To the comments below, I would add:

4.  Immediate action is for when someone is shooting at you.  Diagnose ANY recreational non-standard firing event before firing another round.  

I cleared the pistol and tried to look down the barrel toward the illuminated bolt face.  The round nose peeking at me was the obvious reason for not seeing down the bore.  That may well have saved me a bulged barrel.  

My pistol cleaning rod in a 4" can would not reach from rear to front so I just went home.

Anybody around my range, shooter or watcher, has to have eye and ear protection: kid, adult, whoever.  Every time.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 8:35:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Un-burned powder in the photo above was most likely from the burst case in the Ruger.  Reason:

I had fired 100 rounds of the same ammo through a Beretta M9-22LR previous to the Ruger incident.  I got it out to clean last night.   There was some smoke blackening of the Beretta breech face- rear of barrel, but not much.  Just the usual oil-smoke discoloring.

There was NOT even a single grain of un-burned powder in the Beretta from 100 rounds.  All 100 had fired normally and functioned 100%.

The lack of un-burned powder in the Beretta tells me the Ruger burst case happened in one firing cycle and was not the result of accumulated debris holding the Ruger bolt open part way.

Something else caused an apparent failure to close all the way.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 11:29:49 AM EDT
[#10]
20 Sept. 2017 update:

Remington Customer Servive must be busy.

I sent photos and text with this story to Remington.  On 12 Sept., I got back  short note:

"We have received your E-Mail......Ticket: 69xxxx has been created and you should receive an initial response shortly.

Thank you and best regards,
Remington Customer Services"

Zippo response to date.

Off to try some CCI MiniMags today.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 11:51:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Off to try some CCI MiniMags today.
View Quote
If you're looking for reasonably priced accurate ammo, try CCI Standard Velocity.  Walmart carries it around here.

It has been very accurate in all of my .22s, even better than some premium stuff I've tried.  It's subsonic too, so it's quiet out of my cans too.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 3:53:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Updated:  10-6-17  REMINGTON .22LR SUCKS WORSE THAN I EVER IMAGINED.  AVOID ANY LOT OF IT.

------------------

AND NO, I HAVE NEVER HEARD A SINGLE WORD BACK AFTER FILING MY INTERNET SYSTEM PROBLEM AND IT BEING ACKNOWLEDGED.  BIG SILENCE FROM BIG GREEN.

------------------

Today:

Either to be fair or out of scientific inquiry, I found different lot numbered 100pak plastic boxes of Remington Golden Bullets 40RNHS in a couple stores.  I ended up with the original lot that blew the case above and three other lot numbers.  You should note Remington is not NOT N O T proud of their lot numbers.  They stamp them on the end paper tab of the plastic paper sticky such that they are invisible.  With a perfect light, you can make out some numbers with a magnifying glass.  I had three new lot numbers.

Since I know the chamber in my Ruger above is tight, there was no point in using it.  I picked instead an Advantage Arms Glock 22-.22LR kit and a Beretta M9-.22.  I stripped, cleaned, lubed, and Moly'ed the chambers of both.  

With CCI MiniMags or Blazer, the AA kit is about 98%.  The Beretta had yet to malfunction with CCI MiniMags or Blazer.  Both over last summer and spring had run some Remington 100paks nearly perfect.  So I call that a baseline.

As I loaded the magazines with the Remington Golden Bullets, 40RNHS, I looked at ever round.
-Those with lead smeared back from the bullet onto the case were discarded.

Rounds loaded into the magazines had variously when inspected:
a)-Loose bullets
b)-Lumps, ridges, disfigured, sharp edged portions of the kneerling in the side of the Golden Bullets.
c)-The impression that by finger feel some bullets perfectly formed were too fat, larger than the straight wall case.

I ended up shooting roughly 200 rounds doing 7 and 15 yard failure drills as fast as my moderate skills allowed.  The result was that about 1 round in 10 had some malfunction associated with it.  Yeah, 1 in 10 after selecting out the few smeared lead obvious ones.  Each gun ran about the first 30 rounds roughly trouble free.  With the slightest debris in the chambers, it went to Heaven, namely:

1)-The main one was the bullets were too fat to enter the chamber and deadened the striker/firing pin falls thus not firing.
1A)---I give Remington primer quality credit.  Every round not going off was rotated 180 degrees and firmly seated.  Every single round fired.

2)-The recoil impulse and noise were variable resulting in some double feeds against an empty case, against a partly seated case, failures to eject.

3)-No rounds stuck fully chambered after firing as the moly is too slippery and helps keep the chamber crap free.  I don't usually do this, but it was a last resort for testing.

My guess is that the stuff fired in a revolver would be nearly perfect if you seated the rounds fully.

Photos:  7 and 15 yard IPSC targets:

For grins, I fired 30 rounds of CCI MiniMag through each gun after I finished the Remington.  100% OK.

Gotta practice more with my revolvers.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 3:36:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I understand that why 100 pack Remington 40 grain High Speed Golden Bullets are a mess to shoot in semi auto pistols is of limited interest since everyone knows to avoid them.  On the other hand, a few observations before I abandon the problem.

Cleaning the two semi auto pistols above the other day reminded me that:
-the first 20-30 rounds through each clean lubed gun seemed to go fairly well
-the more I shot, the worse it got.
-the priming mix seemed dependable guessing it might work in a revolver.

Bringing this home was the idea that I tried dropping some fresh cartridges into the dirty chambers before cleaning the AA Kit and the Beretta M9-22.  They hung up enough some needed pushing to chamber.

After the guns were cleaned and the chambers were clean and dry, every round dropped in with a little thunk.  No pushing needed.

This told me part of the Remington problem is with the semi auto pistols extracting the fired expanded case at the same time the primer/powder residue is hot.  It deposits a layer of crap on the chamber and chamber leade.  It builds up as more shots are fired.  Eventually bullets in the cartridge cases refuse to enter the chamber leade.

To test this idea and to test the primer quality, I took an 8 shot S&W M43 .22LR revolver out today firing slightly over 100 rounds.  Every single round chambered easily in the 8 chamber holes until the very end where it was apparent the chamber leade residue was holding up the last little bit of chambering for a few of the cartridges.  Only a few needed a push at the end.  Beginning to end, there was clearly a difference in chamber debris even though the 100+ shots were divided between 8 holes.

Every single round fired the first time indicating the primer mix is evenly distributed.

Sucks it is so dirty, but at least its useful in a revovler.  (The M43 being the finickyest .22LR revolver I have.  It won't reliably fire WW ammo.  It has some failures with Federal products of recent manufacture.  But it fired every single Remington the first try.)
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 11:52:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
CheapGarbage ammo is cheapgarbage
View Quote
FIFY
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 8:32:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Sent Remington another email today noting their lack of response in more than a month.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 8:54:22 AM EDT
[#16]
I shoot my old stock golden bullets.  It's in paper boxes in bricks not milk carton or plastic boxes.  

I almost never have issues but then again the majority of my .22 shooting is in bolt action rifles.  They get chambered without issue.  Accuracy is
Fine.  I occasionally use a 10/22.  I get the odd failure to fire i chalk up to poor priming distribution.

Nice analysis.  So much for big Green's new plant and dedication to QC.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 8:57:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Start signing your correspondence with Esq. after your name.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:00:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Sent Remington another email today noting their lack of response in more than a month.
View Quote
Send them a link to this thread.

Let them know the biggest gun site on the internet knows their product is shit and their customer service is shit.

My nephew wants to get into shooting and asked about a Remington 700 ADL.  After I finished laughing, I told him to save his money and buy a Savage or a Ruger.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 11:17:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Sorry for your troubles, but $3.49 per box of 50 CCI SV means I will never have a chance to experience it myself.
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 8:26:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Even worser.

Not a word back from Remington.

Took a 100 pak along with kids day after Thanksgiving to shoot only in a S&W 6 shot 617. Clean and lubed gun. Rounds slid with gravity into chambers.

After about 75 rounds, chambers so fouled we could barely deliberately force rounds into chambers so it would close up.

Remington suks.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 1:39:51 AM EDT
[#21]
I don't always shoot Golden Bullets, but when I do it's out of a bolt action or a revolver.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 8:00:59 PM EDT
[#22]
After sending 4 bulk packs of Golden Bullets back to Remington due to the high failure rate 15 years ago I would never buy more.
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 7:53:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Tuesday, a different lot of 100 pak 40RNHSGoldenBullets deposited so much crud in a clean gun/chamber that my Beretta M9-22 could not chamber a round by the fourth 15 shot magazine.  Otis pull through cleaned barrel to finish box.  PITA.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 9:54:19 PM EDT
[#24]
I've had that happen with a 22lr AR. Ringed my ears bc I was shooting suppressed and no ear pro.

I've also had 2 slam fires in a different semi auto with then.

Will never buy another Remington product ever again. Only had those golden shower bullets bc it was 2013 and all I could get.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top