Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2017 9:16:19 PM EDT
Going to be hiking the Appalachian tra in a few weeks with a friend.

Originally was going to being my 629 44 mag but figured it would be too much gun for what I would encounter here.

Thought about carrying the glock 19 with some of the buffalo bore outdoorsman 9mm.

Anyone have any experience with the stuff in a stock glock? I figured it would be fine for any overly curious black bear.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 9:27:59 PM EDT
[#1]
For a wood gun a G20 in 10mm is what you seek not a 9mm. For an answer to your question I only have a G20 do not sure how a G19 will work with +P ammo. I would look up specs to see if it is safe.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 9:29:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry, I shot a pitbull several times with 9mm TAP.
no way would I trust 9mm again.

10mm definately
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 9:30:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For a wood gun a G20 in 10mm is what you seek not a 9mm. For an answer to your question I only have a G20 do not sure how a G19 will work with +P ammo. I would look up specs to see if it is safe.
View Quote
I thought about that as well but wanted to use something I already have.

Though that would give me an excuse to buy a 10mm.

Do they make the g20 in the mos config? Or just the g40?
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 9:36:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Should be fine. I think your chances of Bear problems are significantly less than people problems. And packing a large and heavy gun gets extremely tiresome.

I usually carry a 147gn cast handload similar to what buffalo bore sells for an all around outdoor load when I dont want to be weighed down by a big bore revolver or large auto.

For an off the shelf option I like the American Eagle 147gn jacketed flat point. Better tissue damage with a flat point than a round nose and still maintains that penetration you may need if you have to use it on a big critter unlike JHPs. Another good all around outdoors load IMO.

Have a good time, sounds like fun.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 9:40:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I thought about that as well but wanted to use something I already have.

Though that would give me an excuse to buy a 10mm.

Do they make the g20 in the mos config? Or just the g40?
View Quote
G40 is the G20 in MOS with a bit of a longer barrel. I looked at both yet went with G20 cause that is what I could find where I am.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 1:08:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Buffal Bore Outdoorsman 147gr. HC-FN works well.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 1:20:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Seems the black bears are a very, very minor threat
https://www.bear.org/website/bear-pages/black-bear/bears-a-humans/119-how-dangerous-are-black-bears.html

Id worry about people or dogs way more

Id probably just use my carry load, or something like 147gr XTP +P
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 1:23:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Seems the black bears are a very, very minor threat
https://www.bear.org/website/bear-pages/black-bear/bears-a-humans/119-how-dangerous-are-black-bears.html

Id worry about people or dogs way more

Id probably just use my carry load, or something like 147gr XTP +P
View Quote
oh i definitely know 2 legged creatures are a more common threat out on the trails than 4 legs. Im not one of those guys who fantasize about being lost in the woods for a year and ill be attacked by every bear within 1000 miles.

I figured id just take my standard load for when were in a more populated human area and switch the magazine out for when were in one of the more wildlife owned areas.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 1:23:45 AM EDT
[#9]
double tap
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 8:09:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

oh i definitely know 2 legged creatures are a more common threat out on the trails than 4 legs. Im not one of those guys who fantasize about being lost in the woods for a year and ill be attacked by every bear within 1000 miles.

I figured id just take my standard load for when were in a more populated human area and switch the magazine out for when were in one of the more wildlife owned areas.
View Quote
Well, you can load the buffalo bore if you want there. At any rate, it would be cool to have some of that hardcast.

Personally id carry bear spray and 147gr gold dots or XTP prolly
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:26:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Maybe a .38/.357 revolver if you have one.

The BB 147 would probably work fine for the trail and I wouldn't feel bad about using it on 2 leggers.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:15:33 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd just use my HST. I love Buffalo bore ammo too. I just don't know if you really need it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:16:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

10mm definately
View Quote
I've seen enough animals shot, including aggressive dogs, that I'm fine with 9mm.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:09:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

10mm definately
View Quote
Why no GoldDot or HST? Any animal under 200lbs should be stopped by 147grs @ 1kfps given good shot placement.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:29:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Why no GoldDot or HST? Any animal under 200lbs should be stopped by 147grs @ 1kfps given good shot placement.
View Quote
i currently use only HST 147gr+P in all my g19s ill probably just bring a magazine of both and see how it goes.

like stated before, 2 legged things are more to worry about imo but there is always a chance that something with 4 might think youre interesting enough to try to mess with.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:24:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't even own a 9 but can't imagine that you would be undergunned with the buffalo bore 9mm. Personally I carry a g29 while hiking. Soon hope to get a G40
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:47:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I hiked 4 states. Surrounded by like minded people generally in diverse groups felt pretty safe. If I was hiking in states where I could carry, I would be more than happy with my Glock 43.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 6:47:44 AM EDT
[#18]
There are a lot of poor recommendations here to use hollow points. Do not. Hollow points are designed for thin skinned humans. They are designed to not exit or barely exit a thin skinned human no matter what the caliber. They will not penetrate enough in a large animal. Most pistol hunters of large game will use Hard Cast Flat Nosed bullets. Penetration to vitals is the only factor that kills an animal that large.

You are okay carrying that load from Buffalo Bore. There was an Alaskan Guide who killed a charging grizzly bear with those 147 gr +P Hard Cast Flat Points from Buffalo Bore. They are designed to penetrate 30 + inches.

Alaskan Guide Kills Grizzly with 9mm

Many say that 9mm isn't enough. It isn't ideal but it works when loaded with the right ammo. On a side note, you get the added benefit of a large capacity magazine, minimal recoil for follow up shots, and a light trigger pull.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 5:26:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I and my father hiked the whole thing, we carried Hardcast in .44 and 10mm.

Like others said, 2 legged threats are more to worry then 4 legs and the few bears we saw were skittish and turned tail and ran.

Met some awesome people and so truly weird people that made my hair stand up.

Made a fanny pack holster on my backpack waist belt so I didn't notice the weight all that much
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 10:44:26 PM EDT
[#20]
So I may be splitting haits, but if you are extremely unlikely to be attacked by a black bear is it actually worse to carry the Buffalo Bitr hardcast? A 147gr jhp seems it would be better on wolves, cougars and people.

And on a black bear it seems a 147gr 9mm wouldnt be a horrible load to have ...

Just a thought ... I am not sure which I would carry but probably a 147gr XTP or GD. Assuming I had a 9mm
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 11:33:06 PM EDT
[#21]
My father in law has hiked the AT several times.

It's mostly retired farts and young potheads.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 11:46:47 PM EDT
[#22]
There's an article from last year floating around (it might have had a video too) of a fishing guide killing a grizz with his 9mm using that ammo. It charged them by a river.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top