Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2017 8:42:55 PM EDT
I was thinking of picking up some more frangible handgun ammo, in case I decide to do any plate shooting or indoor shooting at my regular, old, short 50ft. range.  One reason is less chance of splash back, and one is the lead free primer.  Otherwise I would use regular fmj ammo, as it's usually significantly cheaper.
I was especially looking at the stuff loaded with the Sinterfire brand bullet.  After looking at their promo video, where they have to tumble the bullets before they are sold/loaded, because of "caking" on the outside of the bullet, I wonder if there is any hard evidence that this can accelerate barrel wear.

I believe there are different ways of getting the all copper/tin bullet compressed together.  I believe some even use a polymer, that when heated, binds the copper particles, with others doing it differently.  I think in the past, when I researched some from the Remington line, some had a jacket around the particles, and some did not.  I wonder if this makes any difference?

Just wondering if anyone has had any extensive experience, as I haven't shot a lot of frangible stuff in the past.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 3:09:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe the lead-free primers you mentioned are particularly hard on barrels, but I can't speak to the frangible bullets themselves.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 3:49:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Not a concern at all. You need to shoot tens of thousands of them ( who could afford that!) to have any effect at all if any. You may also consider cast lead as they tend to flatten easily and provide much less chance of splash back as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top