Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2017 1:30:39 AM EDT
About an hour ago, I realized something was fishy with my ammunition. This is .45 ACP, brass cased FMJ, 230 grain. It is Remington UMC, the 100 round value pack from their 'pistol and revolver cartridges' line. Lot number appears to be "23797 L45AP4B". Now, I'm not a reloader nor am I a ballistics expert, but I have two books on the subject of reloading and from what I've read, the amateur reloader in me is screaming, waving red flags. I'm confident that 100% of you reading this will immediately see what I'm talking about. This is a handful of rounds and they're all lined up against two identical 1911 magazines as a straight edge. These rounds have been chambered in my carry gun a few times, which prompted me to look through the rest of the box. The entire box shows the same thing that these rounds show. I have contacted Remington and await their response. I urge every person who reads this to look through any and all ammo they have. Better safe than sorry.

Link Posted: 7/27/2017 2:05:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't shoot #3 or #9.

#8 looks to be set back too, but I'd shoot it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 4:28:58 AM EDT
[#2]
That's pretty common with cheap ammo that gets chambered more than once.  They don't crimp them much nor should they.    I wouldn't get too wound up over it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 4:32:19 AM EDT
[#3]
It's 45 ACP so I'd still shoot it.

Don't buy anything that from Remington.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 6:42:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd shoot them
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 7:34:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Not that big of a "concern" in a low pressure hand gun.

The worst of the setbacks I might discard, otherwise shoot 'em.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 11:05:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd save the worst of the setbacks for the HiPoints.  Not going to do much in a blowback gun rated for +P.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 11:08:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's pretty common with cheap ammo that gets chambered more than once.  They don't crimp them much nor should they.    I wouldn't get too wound up over it.
View Quote
This.  I don't chamber live ammo repeatedly if I can help it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 10:13:19 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote
So would I.  There's a lot of internet myths about bullet setback.....
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 11:00:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I've shot several hundred rounds of UMC .45 in my 1911s and Glock 21. Never checked for bullet setback but I haven't had a problem.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 6:58:12 PM EDT
[#10]
You can carefully use an inertial puller to get the bullet back to the proper position, or break them down and reload.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:16:57 PM EDT
[#11]
If they feed, shoot them. UMC is the bottom of the line. Not plus p.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:24:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Setback.  Don't shoot.  Don't chamber the same round multiple times.  Remington is going to tell you to jump n a lake if they have any hint that you've chambered them more than once.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:36:00 PM EDT
[#13]
You should be checking all of your ammo as you prepare magazines anyway. If I unload my .357 Sig I never put the same round back on top to be rechambered. I've seen too many of them get set back pretty easily.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 7:26:23 PM EDT
[#14]
A lower seated bullet can/will cause a pressure spike at the chamber. I would contact Remington to see what they will do. If that is you only box then it may not be worth the trouble.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 2:23:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
In .45 ACP you can get away with a lot.

In .40/10 mm not so much.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 12:15:01 AM EDT
[#16]
There is a lesson to be learned here

Remington ammo is absolute bottom shelf garbage...  Russian steel cased ammo is of better quality and cheaper.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 8:25:17 AM EDT
[#17]
The short rounds showed have an excessive amount of setback.  A useful learning experience would be to actually chrono loads with that much setback.   The result may be informative.  The 45 acp round is a lower pressure round, and the pistol designed for the lower pressures.

Would personally not shoot those short rounds through a 1911, but would dissemble them, or shoot through an older style Blackhawk that has a 45 acp cylinder.  Rem brass is thin and hard, and they have had setback problems with certain rounds for decades. Especially their first 185 plus p rounds.  Most factory rounds had setback problems for years, if you actually looked.  A lot of the newer factory rounds have minimal (.001-.004 in) to no setback for one chambering.

Don't keep re-chambering your  rounds, unless you actually check them for setback.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 4:05:39 PM EDT
[#18]
I've seen the same thing in Winchester ammo as well. If you shoot enough, you see a lot of weird things. I've gotten a full box of Speer Lawman Slugs....in a case of buckshot....factory sealed.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 1:44:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'd shoot them
View Quote
Same.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 8:29:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Every shooter should have a bulletproof puller and gently tap until back in spec. I would generally advise against bargain basement hardball as a choice in carry ammo as well
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top