Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2017 7:10:32 PM EDT
And you do not reload. Which commercial round?
I was leaning Buffalo Bore.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 7:15:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Underwood?
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 7:20:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman Heavy 220 gr hard cast.

It's made to make big scary things dead.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 7:54:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buffalo Bore
View Quote
with a Bar-Sto or KKM barrel.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 8:03:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Buffalo Bore
View Quote
This is bear country (Kodiak)and that's what I carry everyday when I walk my dogs.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 8:10:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Original Norma loads.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 8:11:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 1:48:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Tagged for further reading.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 2:09:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Underwood or buffalo bore hard cast lead bullets.

Serious penetration.

Txl
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 11:22:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Underwood
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 4:07:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I can't find the thread but someone was telling me about some FMJ flat nose bullets that had a hard brass shell and would not deform like 'normal' FMJ. Anyone know what brand that is?
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:31:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I can't find the thread but someone was telling me about some FMJ flat nose bullets that had a hard brass shell and would not deform like 'normal' FMJ. Anyone know what brand that is?
View Quote
Montana Gold. Don't know that they claim they won't deform.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:17:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Federal Trophy bonded 180gr. Bought a box today, look forward to getting to know this round better.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:45:25 AM EDT
[#13]
It's hard to beat the standard hard cast lead (alloy) flat point.  

You need penetration more than anything.  Well that's assuming your shot placement is spot on.

I'd would feel A OK with Buffalo Bore, Underwood, Doubletap, or Grizzly.  Buy enough for a confidence run. And don't dwell on little things.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:23:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Most experts I have read, including those that have shot bears in self defense, recommend bear spray over a handgun. But, maybe it isnt practical for ya.

You may find this article from the Buffalo Bore guy interesting! Lots of good material there.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=108

Buffalo Bore is good and proven, Underwood as well. I intentionally avoid Double Tap because they seem to mislead on their velocity, or used to.

Id use 200gr hardcast or make sure you test the 220gr well, lots of people with the G20 had the 220gr keyhole.

If you dont want to use hardcast maybe use 200gr flat nose FMJ or the Underwood XTreme Penetrator. I use Underwood 200gr Flat nose FMJ in my Glock 40 while hog hunting, but I would feel equall6 safe with Buffalo Bore.

If I were expressly concerned I would maybe get a good sling for my Mossberg and load 1 3/8 Brenneke Black Magic Magnum slugs in it, or buy a 500 S&W magnum with hardcast.

Just my 2 cents :)
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 2:32:36 AM EDT
[#15]
I use 200 grain hard cast from Underwood and don't feel under gunned at all.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:04:02 AM EDT
[#16]
I spoke with a guy that flies bush planes in Alaska and they are going with road flares instead of bear spray. They don't like fire and noise and flares have both. Then if that doesn't work, 10mm with a heavy bullet and lots of them.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 2:59:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I spoke with a guy that flies bush planes in Alaska and they are going with road flares instead of bear spray. They don't like fire and noise and flares have both.

Then if that doesn't work, a 10mm with a heavy bullet and lots of them.
View Quote
Yes, and yes. Excellent advice.

On the choice of 10mm pistol for Alaska, ... 1st choice = Glock 40. 2nd choice = Gen4 G20. Both are 15+1 capacity.

You're golden, but  bring a rifle too.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 11:24:39 PM EDT
[#18]
I keep my Glock 40 stoked with either Underwood or Buffalo Bore ammo when in bear country.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 9:25:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Underwood. Heavier bullet that is reliable In your pistol.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 1:45:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Most experts I have read, including those that have shot bears in self defense, recommend bear spray over a handgun. But, maybe it isnt practical for ya.

You may find this article from the Buffalo Bore guy interesting! Lots of good material there.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=108

Buffalo Bore is good and proven, Underwood as well. I intentionally avoid Double Tap because they seem to mislead on their velocity, or used to.

Id use 200gr hardcast or make sure you test the 220gr well, lots of people with the G20 had the 220gr keyhole.

If you dont want to use hardcast maybe use 200gr flat nose FMJ or the Underwood XTreme Penetrator. I use Underwood 200gr Flat nose FMJ in my Glock 40 while hog hunting, but I would feel equall6 safe with Buffalo Bore.

If I were expressly concerned I would maybe get a good sling for my Mossberg and load 1 3/8 Brenneke Black Magic Magnum slugs in it, or buy a 500 S&W magnum with hardcast.

Just my 2 cents :)
View Quote
I did the right thing, I had both! Bear spray and some Buffalo Bore hardcast :)
Hiking thru national parks with a slung shotgun just wasnt going to work for me....we did see a momma griz from a distance and hiked thru some truly berry patch filled bear zones, so I am glad I had what I did, and did not have to use any of it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 5:12:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I did the right thing, I had both! Bear spray and some Buffalo Bore hardcast :)
Hiking thru national parks with a slung shotgun just wasnt going to work for me....we did see a momma griz from a distance and hiked thru some truly berry patch filled bear zones, so I am glad I had what I did, and did not have to use any of it.
View Quote
Cool!

Did you het the 200gr or 220gr hardcast? Did it cycle fine with the stock spring?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top