Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2017 9:24:06 AM EDT
The second .357 Sig load my coworker wanted me to try was the Speer 125gr Gold Dot. Test gun was a Glock 31 fired into two 16 inch blocks of Clear Ballistics gel.

The first round into bear gel had an impact velocity of 1415fps, penetrated to 14 inches, and expanded to .70 inches. Round two’s speed was 1409fps with a penetration of 16 inches and expansion of .68 inches.

I didn’t get a velocity of the first round in the heavy clothing but it penetrated to 18 inches and expanded to .58 inches. Round two had a velocity of 1425fps, penetrated to 17.5 inches and expanded to .56 inches.

https://generalcartridge.wordpress.com/
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:44:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for posting this. I really like the 357 Sig Gold Dot. It works great in my P320 compact, but feeding is sketchy in my Glock 31. The bullet will nosedive when it gets pushed up in the magazine. The rear of the cartridge hits the feed lips, but the front will tilt down so the bullet hits the front edge of the magazine instead of hitting the feed ramp. It's a shame because it's an awesome bullet.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:52:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Excellent pictures and results OP. I carry the 125 JHP Gold Dots in my G33 with confidence. Plus I have quite a bit of it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 8:18:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for posting this. I really like the 357 Sig Gold Dot. It works great in my P320 compact, but feeding is sketchy in my Glock 31. The bullet will nosedive when it gets pushed up in the magazine. The rear of the cartridge hits the feed lips, but the front will tilt down so the bullet hits the front edge of the magazine instead of hitting the feed ramp. It's a shame because it's an awesome bullet.
View Quote
Interesting ... they feed fine for me but each gun is different. I also use Underwood's loading which is 1475fps so the extra charge may have something to do with it.

And yes, great test OP.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:47:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
Are you using G31 mags or G22 mags. Many will argue with me saying that the mag's follower doesn't matter. But I have had similar "nose-diving" jams in my G32 when I used my 40SW mags with 40SW followers. Using specific 357Sig followers solved it for me.

It's ironic that the bottle-neck cartridge was touted to be super jam-resistant but I have found the opposite, at least in Glocks.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:45:05 PM EDT
[#5]
thanks. Bullet looks El Nasty when it hits someone or thing.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:21:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for posting.  Do you have the part number to the tested rounds?
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:18:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I do not.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 4:00:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks for posting.  Do you have the part number to the tested rounds?
View Quote
Go here.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 5:35:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Again?  That is cool and all, but are there any testing standards you are using?  Temperature? Gel consistency?  Distance?
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 7:25:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Again?  That is cool and all, but are there any testing standards you are using?  Temperature? Gel consistency?  Distance?
View Quote
The gel is shot at ambient room temperature. Clear Ballistics gel always has the same consistency. Distance is 10 feet.

https://www.clearballistics.com/about/
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 3:48:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Are you using G31 mags or G22 mags. Many will argue with me saying that the mag's follower doesn't matter. But I have had similar "nose-diving" jams in my G32 when I used my 40SW mags with 40SW followers. Using specific 357Sig followers solved it for me.

It's ironic that the bottle-neck cartridge was touted to be super jam-resistant but I have found the opposite, at least in Glocks.
View Quote
I'm using G31 mags with #3 and #4 followers. I've tried G22 mags with similar results. With a full mag as the rounds are cycled out of the mag, the top round (on the feed lips) gets little pressure from the round below. Sometimes there's a gap of a millimeter or two between the front of the cartridge (right before the shoulder starts) and the cartridge below. That gap allows the cartridge to nose dive into the front of the mag. As you get half way through the magazine, this problem corrects itself and there is strong pressure on the top round. HST ammo seems to work better for some reason. I also have a G32, and I haven't noticed this problem in the 13rd mags.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:51:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Go here.
View Quote
Speer makes 2 versions.  I carry the ones you linked.  I assume those were the ones tested but was trying to confirm.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 3:57:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Speer makes 2 versions.  I carry the ones you linked.  I assume those were the ones tested but was trying to confirm.
View Quote
I didn't realize there were 2 LE vrrsions. I wonder why they make 2.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:51:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I didn't realize there were 2 LE vrrsions. I wonder why they make 2.
View Quote
The 5 petal 53918 version is supposed to penetrate a little less than the 6 petal version. When testing with 4 layer denim covered milk jugs and my P320c, both versions make it into the 4th jug, FWIW.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 10:15:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm using G31 mags with #3 and #4 followers. I've tried G22 mags with similar results. With a full mag as the rounds are cycled out of the mag, the top round (on the feed lips) gets little pressure from the round below. Sometimes there's a gap of a millimeter or two between the front of the cartridge (right before the shoulder starts) and the cartridge below. That gap allows the cartridge to nose dive into the front of the mag. As you get half way through the magazine, this problem corrects itself and there is strong pressure on the top round. HST ammo seems to work better for some reason. I also have a G32, and I haven't noticed this problem in the 13rd mags.
View Quote
Yes. Same here. Because of the bottleneck, the cartridge is now tapered like a 7.62X39 round and would be much more reliable in a curved magazine IMO. I rarely get a jam but when I do, it's the bullet nose-diving into the base of the feed ramp due to a lack of support from the other rounds in the mag.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 9:40:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I can't get the 125 grain Speer Gold Dots to feed properly in my P239.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 4:42:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Federal HST and Winchester PDX1 work better in my G31. Unfortunately they are more expensive than Gold Dots.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 9:05:56 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote
Polish the feed ramp with a q-tip and some simichrome or flitz. Mine eats them like candy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top