Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/30/2017 7:51:59 PM EDT
Wondering if there's any ballistic gel tests on these three.

Diamondback said to only use these three for defense so I have to pick one of these three.  I prefer to do so based on tests rather than opinion or anecdotal experience.

Hornaday CD 115 grain
HPR Jacketed Hollow Point
Remington Golden-Saber
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 7:56:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Use for what purpose?  And, more specifics on the ammo.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 8:19:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I did some searching, I guess you have a Diamondback DB9 which is very picky about what ammo to feed. Let me know if I'm wrong.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/09/tim-mcnabb/gun-review-diamonback-db9/

http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/diamondback-db9-the-ultimate-concealed-carry-solution/

There are a lot of tests on youtube, I would go there and search for "hornady 115gr gel" for example.

Here is one such test with a short barrel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBPREaj9xF0

Based on the tests there I would probably use 115gr hornady XTP or Hornady critical defense but any of those that cycle where they go at least 12in in gel should be fine.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 8:25:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I did some searching, I guess you have a Diamondback DB9 which is very picky about what ammo to feed. Let me know if I'm wrong.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/09/tim-mcnabb/gun-review-diamonback-db9/

http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/diamondback-db9-the-ultimate-concealed-carry-solution/

There are a lot of tests on youtube, I would go there and search for "hornady 115gr gel" for example.

Here is one such test with a short barrel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBPREaj9xF0

Based on the tests there I would probably use 115gr hornady XTP or Hornady critical defense but any of those that cycle where they go at least 12in in gel should be fine.
View Quote
DB9 is correct!  Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 8:42:29 PM EDT
[#4]
none.  get a different pistol.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 10:52:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I carry Golden Saber 124+p
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 10:58:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
This

shitcan the diamondback, and buy a quality handgun that will feed more than 3 boxes of ammo

Link Posted: 5/30/2017 11:10:38 PM EDT
[#7]
HST.

/thread.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 11:00:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Think of it this way you're trapped in a house the MZB's are outside it's you and your buddy versus them you both have nine millimeters you only have one Magazine worth of ammo but he has a bandolier worth. Problem is it's not in your list... I guess you just have to give up.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 11:08:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm really not trying to be a jerk, but I would not use a handgun for self defense that only works with three types of ammo. Holy crap!

I would recommend Federal HST or Winchester Rangers.

Edit: sorry, out of your choices I guess hornady critical defense, but I don't like the tipped bullets.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 7:15:23 PM EDT
[#10]
The golden saber bonded ammo is very good. I would carry without hesitation
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 9:19:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The golden saber bonded ammo is very good. I would carry without hesitation
View Quote
That's what I carry in my cm9. 147gr. Gun shoots them great.

I choose reliability first and foremost. I don't care if it's ball or jhp. Obviously jhp are preferred. But if the gun only feeds ball , and that gun is my only option. Well that's that.

Lucky gunner test
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 12:31:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Also ... I also made a comment like some of the others. Based on the issues mentioned in other online reviews (you have to hold it very carefully to make sure it cycles) I would not want to use this gun for self-defense. Just my 2 cents if I had to have it I would use 115gr XTP and hope it worked.

It looks cool I'd sure love to plink with one.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 4:26:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Golden saber I found pretty good.  HST is my favorite, 124 +p for the VP9, sometimes 147 +p, 150 or 147 grain for P30sk.  Haven't experimented to see what my new shield likes best yet.  Close second to HST is Speer gold dot, Fiocci and Hornandy I would use without worry also.  (None of this is based on gel testing; feeding reliability, accuracy, and comfort based).
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 4:47:32 AM EDT
[#14]
What's the weight of the Golden Sabers? 115 grain is too light. 124 grain minimum I would say. But I prefer 147 grain. Heavier the better!! Federal HST is my new favorite, Speer Gold Dot second fav. 
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 8:50:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This

shitcan the diamondback, and buy a quality handgun that will feed more than 3 boxes of ammo

View Quote
This, exactly this! For my CZ's 9mm's... I use HST's, Gold Dots, and Golden Sabres interchangeably... all in 147grain. I like heavy for caliber loads for their penetration and they always seem to be a bit more accurate than their lighter counterparts in my experience. YMMV...
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 9:02:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
HST.

/thread.
View Quote
This. If your pistol can't run it

/shitcan
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 12:49:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Wondering if there's any ballistic gel tests on these three.

Diamondback said to only use these three for defense so I have to pick one of these three.  I prefer to do so based on tests rather than opinion or anecdotal experience.

Hornaday CD 115 grain
HPR Jacketed Hollow Point
Remington Golden-Saber
View Quote

Golden Saber BONDED if you can find it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 9:18:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:10:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Wouldn't bet my life on a pistol that wouldn't fire whatever I fed it. Lose that piece of garbage and buy and train with something you can depend on.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:44:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This, exactly this! For my CZ's 9mm's... I use HST's, Gold Dots, and Golden Sabres interchangeably... all in 147grain. I like heavy for caliber loads for their penetration and they always seem to be a bit more accurate than their lighter counterparts in my experience. YMMV...
View Quote
Hollowpoints parachute to a stop. A 147 isn't going to penetrate further in a hollowpoint like it does in a FMJ. In some cases it penetrates less due to a slightly bigger parachute.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top