Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2017 1:22:12 AM EDT
Hey everyone, I have a Glock 40 with a 6in factory barrel. The long slide makes recoil less of a concern so I am mostly interested in full-power loads (so I can feel cool). Of course, Please let me know your preferred 10mm loads below and let me know if you see flaws/concerns with any of my logic.

For Self-Defense:
Underwood 200gr XTP @ 1250fps

I selected this for my main carry load (so far) because I trust a heavier bullet to break bones and penetrate more consistently. Based on tests by tnoutdoors and The Chopping Block it seems this bullet pushed this fast will expand through clothing and it will not overpenetrate in gel. It seems this load will also do well against autoglass or car doors (I haven't seen any tests).

For woods defense (possible wild hogs/bears)
220gr Underwood hardcast @ 1200fps (use 200gr in a 4in barrel to stabilize the bullet better according to different range reports online)
140gr Underwood XTreme penetrator @ 1500fps

The advantage fo the 140gr copper bullet (XTreme Penetrator) is it seems it would be less likely to glance off a boar's skull, and it seems to be pretty consistent in testing.

Finally the ideal 10mm bullet to me would be a 200gr Gold Dot designed to perform at 1100-1300fps and would penetrate about 18in in gel ... I wrote Speer telling them I think there would be a market for it.

What do you guys think? Any flaws in my reasoning? What is your preferred load for 10mm?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:11:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks good to me.

Of course the 9mm crowd is not going to be happy with you.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:55:32 AM EDT
[#2]
For woods carry, I use Doubletap's 235-grain hardcast.  Heaviest bullet is the best bullet.

When I'm not in the woods, or at home, I use a caliber with less recoil/muzzle rise/muzzle blast because quick, accurate follow-up shots are my top priority.

I guess a de-tuned 165-grain or 180-grain hollowpoint would work, if 10mm is the only pistol you own.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:08:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Only Mall Ninja's and MCB agents carry 10mm all the time.   For social setting I usually like something a little smaller and easier to carry.

That said for hunting I really enjoyed using 10mm Auto in my S&W 610 revolver.  Now I was using handloads but it replicated the XTP load that you posted.  A 200gr Hornady XTP going 1250fps from my 6.5 inch 610.  I shot two deer with it last season and never recovered a bullet.  They all passed clean through the does, including a high shoulder shot that when through a shoulder blade and spine.  XTP penetrates just fine.  I don't see a lot of benefit for the supper heavy hard-cast in 10mm Auto.  Over 200gr it seems you start giving up a lot of energy for only a little bit of extra mass.  If I want maximum penetration I would simply switch from 200gr Hornady XTP bullets to 200gr Montana Gold CMJ.  Montana Gold uses a very thick brass (not copper) jacket.  The bullets are extremely tough and would penetrate as well or better than hard-cast without any mess and leading of the barrel issues you get with lead bullets.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:09:54 PM EDT
[#4]
@mcb

Did you just ASSUME I am not a mall ninja? Careful ...

Well, in my defense my 10mm is easier to shoot with full house ammo than my subcompact 9mm and as I am very tall it fits me better. Of course, I sometimes do carry my single-stack Glock43 ... nice to have options. If I'm walking the dogs in a button down shirt or going fishing or to Wal-Mart the Glock40 isn't really a problem though. I suppose if I had lighter ammo in it it would still be less snappy so maybe I will consider trying out some lighter-loaded 180gr Gold Dots or even Corbon DPX.

I was not aware of Montana Gold bullets, I will definitely check them out. Would be nice to not deal with the hardcast ... I haven't bought any yet. Maybe I will ask Underwood to load them. They have a flat nose FMJ but it is not the montana gold bullet.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 7:43:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Agent Franks dual weilds 10mm fullAutos

Now if i can just find some of those compressed silver powder projectiles hes using ill be ready for my boss when he turns
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 12:33:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I think if you put a drop of silverpowder in the hollowpoint that will do.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 1:03:10 AM EDT
[#7]
My PD loads are DT 180 Gold Dots I got years ago.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 1:19:39 AM EDT
[#8]
My general use 10MM load is the 180XTP or Gold Dot loaded to about 1200fps. In the woods where something might bite me I carry 180 hard cast.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 1:21:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Don't forget the Federal Vitalshok Trophy Bonded. 180gr at 1275fps. 650fpe at the muzzle. Fairly decent round for a factory loading, not a specialty manufacturer like Underwood or Double Tap.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 9:45:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm not going to criticize you for carrying that gun or that load.

I will ask this, when you say you are carrying a Glock 40, is it concealed? If so, how?
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 9:55:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I carry a Glock 20 10mm with 180 grain hollow points from Underwood, good stuff.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:26:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I will ask this, when you say you are carrying a Glock 40, is it concealed? If so, how?
View Quote
@Overkill777

I have a Crossbreed Supertuck Delux holster (horsehide... thinner) and wear is about 3 o'clock. It conceals well with a button down shirt, usually a dark color. The Supertuck Delux holds the gun very tight to your body and holds it in place well. Is looks very big but when you put it on it is comfortable.

Really it's the same size as a Glock 20 but a bit longer. I just like how the G40 feels in my hand, the G20 is a better fit for most. If I want to wear a very tight t-shirt I can carry my single-stack 9mm but usually I can carry the G40.

I have an OWB holster but only used it once hog hunting.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:27:36 PM EDT
[#13]
@SEAN10MM

Yep that looks like a really nice option as well. I like my customer relationship with Underwood but I would not hesitate to buy that off the shelf.

@GunDisaster

Do you carry the Nosler, XTP or Gold Dots?
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 3:37:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
@Overkill777

I have a Crossbreed Supertuck Delux holster (horsehide... thinner) and wear is about 3 o'clock. It conceals well with a button down shirt, usually a dark color. The Supertuck Delux holds the gun very tight to your body and holds it in place well. Is looks very big but when you put it on it is comfortable.

Really it's the same size as a Glock 20 but a bit longer. I just like how the G40 feels in my hand, the G20 is a better fit for most. If I want to wear a very tight t-shirt I can carry my single-stack 9mm but usually I can carry the G40.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Overkill777

Impressive. I've only handled the Glock 40, I like it but it is huge.

I think it would be an open carry only gun for me.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 12:26:05 AM EDT
[#15]
@Overkill777

Honestly it is impressive i can do it! I get a kick out of it. When I saw the holster fir the G40 I thought to myself ... can this really work? I am glad I ordered it. I ordered another holster OWB designed to hold it high and to be concealed with a coat, but the G40 barrel was too long and dripping below my coat! That look would scary people more than open carry I think.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 6:03:08 AM EDT
[#16]
OP, for a do it all... woods carry/street carry load... I would go with Buffalo Bore's 220 grain Hard Cast truncated cone load rated @ 1200fps and be done with it. BB's hard cast loads are the most accurate commercially loaded ammo I've ever used. There will be no grazing off a boars head with that load. And with 2 legged shit bags that TC designed bullet has a charming crush element all on it's own by design. Underwood has solid offering(s) as well. A TC Hard Cast pill is a nasty opponent to deal with and a great all around option to go with. SIG ammo is making some nice loads as well too as of late. 10mm is so versatile. You have a lot of nice options in a man's caliber!

For a woods load I've switched from my beloved .45Super to.... dare I say it.... My SP-01 in 9mm. Buffalo Bore has a fantastic 9mm Outdoorsman Hard Cast 147grain load rated @ 1100fps and is just as accurate as their 255gr HCTC loads in .45Super. The difference being, I can stuff 18+1 rounds in the pistol as opposed to 10+1 with the 1911 converted for .45Super. With another 18 round reload on tap I'm not going to be undergunned in the woods...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top