Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2017 12:08:18 PM EDT
I was shooting some Winchester white box 115gr 9mm that I have had a few years. Each box had 2 or 3 rounds where the bullet was set back in the case. Am I right in thinking these would be dangerous to fire? The lot number is the same for all three boxes.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:28:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think it would be dangerous as long as they chamber and the case isn't budged.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:56:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I also bought the WW boxes a few years back!
I open each box to check to see if any where short or long!
Never found any! But I still check!!!
I'm not an expert! But shorter round could have more pressure!

PITA45
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:15:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Hard to say for sure but yes that can certainly raise pressures to dangerous levels
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:23:58 PM EDT
[#4]
In print, yes it'll blow up your gun and kill everyone in the room.  

In reality, not really.  If that were blowing up guns, you'd see a lot of blown up guns and public ranges banning WWB.  What you do have there is a lower margin of safety now.  That round is going to have higher pressure than an in-spec round.  Will it still be a safe pressure in a modern gun? - almost certainly.  That is, assuming nothing else goes wrong.  Unsupported chamber/thin casing/a little too much powder/etc, all are going to have higher risk factors.  

Would I shoot that?  you bet, I'd load up a mag for something strong like a modern polymer gun - no problem.  But I'd roll my safety-glasses protected eyes about it, and wonder if WWB is really what I need to keep buying.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 4:23:43 PM EDT
[#5]
With those rounds you would most likely would have had feed issues before you had over pressure issues.  Had they been 147gr bullets in those casing yeah you might have been pushing the envelope but not with 115gr.  That does seem about right for quality of the WWB though.  I had some ammo I snagged on clearance at Academy awhile back it was something like Circle ten ammo or something like that.  Every bullet was set deep in the case and my BILs G34 would chock on every round but my G34 ate it right up but it was shitty ammo and would print all over the target group sizes the size of a basketball.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 2:47:44 AM EDT
[#6]
After 3 boxes, I don't buy WWB any more.  I'd rather shoot Tula, which has only had feeding problems in the last couple rounds of an aftermarket high-capacity due to the rougher, kinda 'sticky' case.  Shot probably close to 1000.  Also seems to be more accurate than federal RTP.  The spark it throws when it hits the backstop is pretty cool too :D
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:20:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't think it would be dangerous as long as they chamber and the case isn't budged.
View Quote
X2  I'd shoot them.

And yeah WWB has issues sometimes.(all brands do)  I still use it. I haven't had many problems....

And I also thought that a set back round actually having higher pressure was debunked?  I seem to remember a few threads about that over the years.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 4:18:50 PM EDT
[#8]
WWB quality.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 7:46:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The lot number is the same for all three boxes.
View Quote
Side bar question: what numbers are the actual lot number? I've had some WWB that don't seem to have any unique numbers on them at all (I'm guessing they came out of a case of anmo), and others that look like your photo. I'm not sure what their standard lot number format looks like, so I'm not sure which numbers are the lot and what might be something else, like a product number. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:14:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Side bar question: what numbers are the actual lot number? I've had some WWB that don't seem to have any unique numbers on them at all (I'm guessing they came out of a case of anmo), and others that look like your photo. I'm not sure what their standard lot number format looks like, so I'm not sure which numbers are the lot and what might be something else, like a product number. Thanks!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The lot number is the same for all three boxes.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but in this case I believe it is the number "K7190". From the other threads I've read it probably isn't worth pursuing with Winchester. This is the last of the WWB I had and I doubt I'll be buying any in the future.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:46:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 3:21:56 AM EDT
[#12]
With Winchester it could just as easily be the case is that long.  
I hate that stuff.  
Actually all win brass as well except the nato 9mm case.  

I recently bought a box of 45clot cb Winchester.
Upon opening the box, one of the primers was upside down.
So I angrily fired off a email to win about it.  
Got a call from cs and a shipping label.  
I haven't shipped it yet and might not.  
I was just happy they actually bothered to give a rip.  
That was this week.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top