Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2017 11:57:44 PM EDT
Anyone have any info on how the XTP bullet does with autoglass or car doors?

I was wondering if it would do well against the harder barriers because it tends to penetrate a little more than other hollow points.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:28:13 PM EDT
[#1]
What scenario do you see yourself having to shoot through auto glass?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:18:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What scenario do you see yourself having to shoot through auto glass?
View Quote
That isn't an unreasonable scenario.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:49:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote
To whom?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:44:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
To whom?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To whom?
I'd assume a cop. But for everyday concealed carriers, I don't see it as much of a concern.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:59:25 PM EDT
[#5]
What about a carjacking with the bad guy standing at your car door pointing a weapon at you? Just one of many involving a vehicle.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:28:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What about a carjacking with the bad guy standing at your car door pointing a weapon at you? Just one of many involving a vehicle.
View Quote
Name all of the many.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:05:41 AM EDT
[#7]
I was just asking out of interest/curiosity. I would really like to see some autoglass tests with the XTP bullet.

The glass test would be mildly important to me in case I had to shoot someone through my windshield, got in a gunfight around vehicles, or if I had driveby shootings in my neighborhood or gang problems where I might have to shoot someone in a vehicle. One of my non-LE friends had to draw on someone who was behind a windshield last year, but didn't have to pull the trigger.

This test shows 147gr HST doing 11in in gel after passing through safety glass. http://www.le.vistaoutdoor.com/ammunition/federal/handgun/details.aspx?id=580 HST is arguably the best all-around bullet and here it's still 1 inch short of what would be preferable. I wonder if some 'inferior' bullets would be a better choice for someone like a state trooper who is always approaching possible felons in cars.

For my own ammo I just want something that cycles well and will penetrate the spine of a 250lb man wearing heavy clothing from any angle.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:17:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I was just asking out of interest/curiosity. I would really like to see some autoglass tests with the XTP bullet.

The glass test would be mildly important to me in case I had to shoot someone through my windshield, got in a gunfight around vehicles, or if I had driveby shootings in my neighborhood or gang problems where I might have to shoot someone in a vehicle. One of my non-LE friends had to draw on someone who was behind a windshield last year, but didn't have to pull the trigger.

This test shows 147gr HST doing 11in in gel after passing through safety glass. http://www.le.vistaoutdoor.com/ammunition/federal/handgun/details.aspx?id=580 HST is arguably the best all-around bullet and here it's still 1 inch short of what would be preferable. I wonder if some 'inferior' bullets would be a better choice for someone like a state trooper who is always approaching possible felons in cars.

For my own ammo I just want something that cycles well and will penetrate the spine of a 250lb man wearing heavy clothing from any angle.
View Quote
Is there a junkyard near where you live? Buy a car door with an intact window, and have at it at your off the grid spot.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:08:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is there a junkyard near where you live? Buy a car door with an intact window, and have at it at your off the grid spot.
View Quote
That would be OK for testing penetration through car doors, but NOT for auto glass penetration.
FBI protocols specify laminated (i.e., windshield, not side window) glass for the test, because it's significantly tougher on bullets.

As to OP's question, Hornady's Critical Duty (not Critical Defense) is designed specifically for the task, and would be a better choice than XTP.

Full test protocols for Critical Duty, Critical Defense, and TAP ammo here
It's 145 pages, lots of pix, has background on test protocol, etc. Well worth the time to read.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:25:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
That suggestion is a big FAIL.

Windshields are multiple laminated glass with plastic safety layers film designed specifically to hold together in the event of any accident or being struck from the front -

Rear & Side windows are tempered glass designed to shatter into tiny pieces (non-dangerous) if struck.  TOTALLY different dynamic for the glass and thus for ballistic results.

Real World?  -  If you have a "mad man driver" (obviously a Methodist or Lutheran most likely - ) mowing down innocents in a crowd along a busy street (as we have seen MULTIPLE times recently), then knowing how your defense handgun round will perform would be very important to know...  

Sad times we live in that this is now a real concern these days...
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:28:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Texas DPS had gone originally with the .357 Sig based on penetration of auto glass & metal, along with going deep enough to reach vitals.

Many still think it is the closest thing to the .357 mag you will get from a autoloading handgun.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:34:09 PM EDT
[#12]
@GSL

That would be interesting to get a car door from a junkyard. I could also shoot the door with a few different rounds. For laminated glass maybe I could acquire an actual windshield. I will take pics of any 'tests' I do and post my results. It will be a few months at least probably.

@PigBat
Excellent resource, thanks! I downloaded it and started reading it.

@Bigger_Hammer

Yes that's a good point about a driver trying to run people over. You may need to do that. Regarding barriers I think stopping a mass shooter makes them more relevant. Of course, your training and the situation would dictate whether you should engage or not.

Regarding the .357 mag I wonder how a 150gr 10mm load at 1500fps would replicate it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 3:24:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Many years ago, my squad was checking junk yards and shady car repair shops for stolen cars/VIN's. I saw a full windshield with a crack and I asked the owner if I could buy it. He gave it to me and wouldn't let me pay. (this was after we confirmed no crimes occurring lol) I took it out to my range (when no one was around) and shot numerous loads through it into wetpack. That was many years ago but I learned a lot. Most bullets lost about 50% weight with Gold Dots being among the best performers.

Many places that do body work and replace cracked windshields have them lying around waiting to be dumped. Getting the windshield would be easier that getting the jell IMO.

It's a very valid test. Performance through auto glass is very important to any armed citizen except maybe the most naïve or pacifist person who believes that you literally only have a right to self defense in your own home.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 7:41:24 PM EDT
[#14]
@ITCHY-FINGER

Thanks for the feedback. You make a good point that I could probably get a windshield easier than gel ... and testing gel would also require temperature control, not something easy to do in TX when I need to drive out of the city to test. Wetpack should let me compare rounds.

It is my goal to test the following rounds. I can test them and accumulate results over time. Anyone following the discussion feel free to recommend a round to test.

1. 9mm Corbon DPX 115gr (new version ) (Glock 43)

The new version of the DPX that Corbon makes in-house is solid copper and has deeper serrations and expands to .85 in gel, so it will be interesting to see how much it expands through auto-glass.

2. .357 sig 125gr Gold Dot loaded by Underwood. Then, the factory loading of the same bullet by Speer. (Glock 31)
I want to test the Underwood Gold Dot because this one is loaded hotter (1475fps) than the factory loading (1350fps). This bullet holds together well in gel.

3. 9mm 147gr XTP +P loaded by Underwood (Glock 43)

4. 10mm 200gr XTP Loaded by Underwood (Glock 40)

This XTP is pushed fast (1250fps) and it's a heavier bullet so I'm very interested in how it performs.

5. 9mm 147gr HST (Glock 43)
HST seems to be everyone's favorite here and it has a great reputation so it will be nice to use it as a benchmark.

I'm not sure which bullet will do best against autoglass, I am thinking the DPX bullet may do the best in 9mm but we will see. I think probably all of the rounds above will do if you had to shoot through a windshield.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 9:59:42 PM EDT
[#15]
XTP was designed for LE. It is bonded and made for deep penetration. Some say it goes too far, but foe hunting and the like it is very good.
It will work.

Happy Shopping
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:08:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
XTP was designed for LE. It is bonded and made for deep penetration. Some say it goes too far, but foe hunting and the like it is very good.
It will work.

Happy Shopping
View Quote
It is not bonded.

http://www.hornady.com/store/XTP-XTP-MAG
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:24:41 PM EDT
[#17]
not XTP....but...

Hornady Critical Duty

Hornady's New Critical Duty Faces FBI Ammo Test Protocol
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 1:25:19 AM EDT
[#18]
@Derek45 thanks  

Interesting they all penetrate to about 13-14in, I would have expected more.

You know what I will need to test 135gr Critical Duty next to the 147gr XTP for comparison purposes.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 9:09:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Texas DPS had gone originally with the .357 Sig based on penetration of auto glass & metal, along with going deep enough to reach vitals.

Many still think it is the closest thing to the .357 mag you will get from a autoloading handgun.
View Quote
Or just buy a 357 mag semi auto. A bit pricey, but looks fun.

Link Posted: 5/7/2017 11:48:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
@ITCHY-FINGER

Thanks for the feedback. You make a good point that I could probably get a windshield easier than gel ... and testing gel would also require temperature control, not something easy to do in TX when I need to drive out of the city to test. Wetpack should let me compare rounds.

It is my goal to test the following rounds. I can test them and accumulate results over time. Anyone following the discussion feel free to recommend a round to test.

1. 9mm Corbon DPX 115gr (new version ) (Glock 43)

The new version of the DPX that Corbon makes in-house is solid copper and has deeper serrations and expands to .85 in gel, so it will be interesting to see how much it expands through auto-glass.

I'm not sure which bullet will do best against autoglass, I am thinking the DPX bullet may do the best in 9mm but we will see. I think probably all of the rounds above will do if you had to shoot through a windshield.
View Quote
Bullets that pass through front windshields do not expand the bullets get sheared from the glass and or either collapse the hollow point..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top