Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2017 10:21:18 AM EDT
Anyone have a good source for 44 special? I plan on reloading some day but 44 special seems scarce?
Thanks
Huck
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 11:43:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I buy what little I buy locally and the LGS usually has some in stock.  I reload for mine, 6 grains of Unique under a 240 grain cast bullet works for all I need it to do.
Even a hand press and some dies will get you started...
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:06:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Brown424 is right! You can start out with a single stage press or a LEE hand loader!
As long as your not shooting a match every week you should be fine!
As  for who has ammo, I have just recently found 44 spl at my local gun shops.
I buy Blazer Aluminum 200gr Gold Dot  Hollow Point for carry!
That hollow point has one hell of a cavity!
If I can fine it I buy Cowboy Action shooting ammo for practice.
There is not much different in price.
Now I just looked on   SGammo They have a good selection of 44 spl.
Not sure if it in your price range.
What I have seen $0.50 is damn good up to $1.00 a round  which sucks!
So what are you shooting this 44 spl in?
I carry a Charter Arms 44 spl Bull-Dog!

PITA45
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:30:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd go to ammoseek.com or any of the ammo search engines.....
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:31:41 PM EDT
[#4]
That stuff is stupid expensive.  Like 60.00 for 50 near me.  Thus, I reload.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 1:15:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought 80 cases on GunBroker and reloaded them. The primer pockets were extremely tight so I had to ream each one (Win brass). I only use Hornady XTP bullets. Great cartridge to shoot.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 2:20:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Looky here huckleberry, for the price of three boxes of ammo you could be reloading those.  Straight wall pistol cases are so easy on a single stage women and children can do it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 9:16:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Buy 500 rounds of Starline brass and you'll be set for a very long time.

https://www.starlinebrass.com/brass-cases/44-Special-Brass/
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 10:06:41 PM EDT
[#8]
You GOTTA start reloading, especially this caliber. Find a cheap, used single stage press, a set of carbide dies, a used scale, a powder measure, some brass, your favorite weight lead bullet and your set. If you want to keep it really simple, Unique is the most versatile powder for this cartridge and you can get 1,000 rounds from a pound of powder.

Right now, I have five .44 Special revolvers nd have fired many hundreds of rounds per year for the last 4 or 5 years. This caliber is extremely versatile and with handloads I've killed game as small as quail and as large as deer and hogs. My handloads spread the spectrum from a cast RN running 750 fps to a 260 gr. cast SWC running a little over 1200.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 1:18:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Blazer 200gr, Underwood Ammo, and reload your own
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 1:27:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You GOTTA start reloading, especially this caliber. Find a cheap, used single stage press, a set of carbide dies, a used scale, a powder measure, some brass, your favorite weight lead bullet and your set. If you want to keep it really simple, Unique is the most versatile powder for this cartridge and you can get 1,000 rounds from a pound of powder.

Right now, I have five .44 Special revolvers nd have fired many hundreds of rounds per year for the last 4 or 5 years. This caliber is extremely versatile and with handloads I've killed game as small as quail and as large as deer and hogs. My handloads spread the spectrum from a cast RN running 750 fps to a 260 gr. cast SWC running a little over 1200.
View Quote
Listen to Gibbs OP...

Gibbs, can you give me the lowdown details of your Cast SWC @ 1200fps please? What model pistol are you running that particular load out of??? Powder, weight, primer, bullet, etc... That load sounds perfect for what I want to do with my revolver! That is nearing .44mag entry loads, which excites me! Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 4:22:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Listen to Gibbs OP...

Gibbs, can you give me the lowdown details of your Cast SWC @ 1200fps please? What model pistol are you running that particular load out of??? Powder, weight, primer, bullet, etc... That load sounds perfect for what I want to do with my revolver! That is nearing .44mag entry loads, which excites me! Thanks in advance!
View Quote
 Shooting it out of a Ruger Flat Top Blackhawk. Elmer Keith's load of 17.0 grs. of AL2400, CCI300 primer, 260 gr. SWC I cast from an NOE 429421 mould. It's been a very accurate load for me.

The load pretty much duplicates .44 Magnum factory loads as offered by the Big 3 ammo manufacturers.

Here's a link to an article in Handloader magazine that has this load and many, many others as well as tons of information on the .44 Special.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 6:41:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
 Shooting it out of a Ruger Flat Top Blackhawk. Elmer Keith's load of 17.0 grs. of AL2400, CCI300 primer, 260 gr. SWC I cast from an NOE 429421 mould. It's been a very accurate load for me.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Ruger%20Flat%20Top%20Blackhawk/429421100yds-ed_zps11ec5c24.jpg

The load pretty much duplicates .44 Magnum factory loads as offered by the Big 3 ammo manufacturers.

Here's a link to an article in Handloader magazine that has this load and many, many others as well as tons of information on the .44 Special.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Listen to Gibbs OP...

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Ruger%20Flat%20Top%20Blackhawk/429421100yds-ed_zps11ec5c24.jpg

Thank you very, very much Gibbs! I appreciate it my friend!
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 6:56:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Anyone have a good source for 44 special? I plan on reloading some day but 44 special seems scarce?
Thanks
Huck
View Quote

I MIGHT have a dab of brass........if I can find it I'll send it to ya!
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 4:25:52 AM EDT
[#14]
I found a box of Black Hills 44 Russian 210 gr 50/32 bucks and also pick up the cowboy ammo here and there .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top