Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2017 7:17:35 PM EDT
This is the real deal new production 2016 Speer 9MM 147gr G2. It would appear that Speer has worked out their problems they had with this bullet when it first came out. I shot it out of a Glock 19 into clear gel. It was shot it into bare gel, heavy clothing, heavy denim, and a leather jacket.

The two rounds fired into bare gel had a velocity of 971 and 977fps and penetrated to 17 and 15.25 inches with expansion of .633 and .635 inches.

The impact velocity into the heavy clothing was 970 and 974fps. Penetrating was 15 and 16 inches with expansion of .653 and .647 inches.

I was pretty happy with the performance so a few days later I decided to try it out in the heavy denim. Most of the ammo I have tried has not done well in this teat and the G2 was no exception.  Both bullets passed completely through two 16 inch blocks of gel and where not recovered. Velocity of the two rounds was 980 and 976fps. I picked up an old leather jacket last month for $10 and gave the G2 a shot at it.  The bullets had a velocity of 950 and 951fps. Penetration was 15 and 18 inches with an expanded diameter of .690 and .634 inches.

All in all I would say they did pretty good.  I’m not sure they are a big leap in performance considering there is ammo out there that will do this well already. I would have been more impressed if it had done well in the heavy denim.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 7:29:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Huh.  Speer just can't seem to get this G2 round right.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:40:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I have some of this on the way. I should test it from the EVO.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:32:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Might be worth it now to keep,should the opportunity presents itself to get a box or two. That 1st gen was bad.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:28:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I mistakenly bought a case of the early stuff but after reading all the less than favorable reviews I am just going to shoot paper with it.  It works just fine for that.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 4:32:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I mistakenly bought a case of the early stuff but after reading all the less than favorable reviews I am just going to shoot paper with it.  It works just fine for that.
View Quote

I have some of the non-expanding stuff too. It is good stuff for paper.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 2:48:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I made the mistake as well only have three boxes (150) left out of 500 rounds of the old generation 1 of the Speer G2. I use them to shoot paper as well.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 7:26:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I got around to trying the G2 Gold Dots in my Kahr MK9 with a three inch barrel. Pretty inconsistent results. The round on the left had a velocity of 878fps and penetrated to 14.5 inches. The second round had a velocity of 886fps and penetrated to 16 inches. The final bullet on the right had a velocity of 878fps and completely penetrated the 16 inch block and had no expansion at all.  

Link Posted: 3/10/2017 8:34:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Curious how these would perform when loaded to a proper +p velocity of 1100fps.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 10:36:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Me too. It would be interesting to pull a few of these are load the bullets to a bit higher velocity.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 8:04:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Me too. It would be interesting to pull a few of these are load the bullets to a bit higher velocity.
View Quote

Hopefully they will be available as a component soon and Underwood will start loading them. They load the Gold Dot 124 now, but their 147gr is limited to the XTP.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 6:08:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I too would like to see how these perform with a little more velocity.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 6:27:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Hopefully they will be available as a component soon and Underwood will start loading them. They load the Gold Dot 124 now, but their 147gr is limited to the XTP.
View Quote

I don't believe Speer has any plans to sell G2 as components.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 9:39:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Ypur best bet to see what a max charge will do is to pull them and choose what powder you want that is low flash enough to do the job. I suggest True Blue for this. Unique, Neutral, or Power Pistol may do the trick too.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 10:58:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I don't believe Speer has any plans to sell G2 as components.
View Quote

Hmm, thats a bummer. Well then, revise my curiosity to seeing a 147gr G1 @ 1100fps from a 4" barrel.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 7:40:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I have those things going 1080 from my suppressed carbine, but they would be super performer at those velocities.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 10:12:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top