Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2017 8:39:16 PM EDT
Something just piqued my curiosity. The velocities of 9mm Parabellum we are all familiar with are based on a pistol-length barrel (wikipedia article says 15cm), but how would it change coming out of a much longer barrel? Say 12" or 16" of a PCC? At what point does 9mm achieve it's maximum propellant effect and the bullet no longer accelerates but DEcelerates from drag in the barrel? Anybody know of any info or sources?
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 9:28:51 PM EDT
[#1]
about 10 inches is optimum and the bullet can be slowing down with many powders in say a 16 inch barrel.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:02:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Wonder how fast one of the ultralight fast specialty rounds in 50 to 85 grains would be.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 7:56:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wonder how fast one of the ultralight fast specialty rounds in 50 to 85 grains would be.
View Quote
I know a guy who might know :D In my experience all current loads seem to run out of steam past 10". This is based on the 7.72" velocity vs when I've chrono'd 16" as well. I tested the Civil Defense and it was 100 fps faster than the 2200 I got from a 5" barrel.
9x19mm, 80gr Solid Copper Spun (SCS), Fort Defense, Fort Scott Munitions, Velocity Test

9x19mm, 90gr Xtreme Defense, +P (09350090S+) Lehigh Defense Velocity Test
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:18:12 PM EDT
[#4]
No idea OP. But out of the 16" Keltec, 115gr knocked my AR500 popper plate full cycle every time at 50 yards.  Same ammo out of a G17 would only bump it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 2:39:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 2:55:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have begun gathering 9x19 for just this very subject.... currently weather is not helping my folly.

I am planning to test ( for velocity and reliability ) most all of the commonly available FMJ, HP, +P, +P+, and some of the exotic's...

I intend to test velocities from a Beretta 92 and a 16" PSA Colt pattern AR.... I might be able to use a SBR'ed  8" SIG MPX as well.

Most of the info I can find is fairly dated.... and sporadic... ( IE, a test here and there with different length barrels )  

I will be posting the info here, on A15.com... much like my previous  .223 / 5.56 data ( which also has a bunch of other ammo needing to be chrono'd )

Buffman has a lot of good data.

BTW....it is amazing the amount of 9x19 out there.....
View Quote

Great.  Looking forward to this.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 3:14:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 3:33:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Will be interesting to see how actuals compare to Quickload numbers.

Quickload just keeps increasing the fps as the barrel goes up to stupid lengths (for instance it said a 50-inch barrel would give 1722 fps).

Quickload 5-inch barrel

Quickload 10-inch barrel

Quickload 15-inch barrel

Quickload 20-inch barrel

Link Posted: 3/8/2017 3:46:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 3:49:57 PM EDT
[#11]

According to that info, there is a good deal of benefit from the carbine length barrels.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 5:08:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 5:11:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Frankly... that exact list is the one I consider dated.

While it is quite helpful... It lacks a lot newer ammo. Especially some ( really most all ) of the ones on the recommended carry list.

And BBTI is what helped prompt my curiousity.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Frankly... that exact list is the one I consider dated.

While it is quite helpful... It lacks a lot newer ammo. Especially some ( really most all ) of the ones on the recommended carry list.

And BBTI is what helped prompt my curiousity.

I find it's a pretty good reference to extrapolate from to give me a general idea.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 5:40:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Feel free to request a specific round or two.
View Quote

Well since you are asking...
Garden variety 115 or 124 FMJ (American Eagle, WWB, Fed Green box, or anything found at any Walmart) as a type of control group
147 HST
9BPLE +P+

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 6:09:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

According to that info, there is a good deal of benefit from the carbine length barrels.
View Quote

Yup, we can conclude a few things:

*Max velocity is USUALY around 12 inches
*Lost velocity after 12 inches is Negligable
*The main advantage after 12 inches is reduced noise and flash

Hence why a 16" PCC is a great choice for HD, if you don't have time for ear protection it's not as big a deal
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 10:11:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:  That is part of why I want to do this.

Some of the modern HP designs may not be able to handle the added velocity properly.. IE, limited penetration from excess impact velocity.. while it might benefit other HP designs.

A decent example of what I mean is the slightly less penetration of +P v. standard loads using the same bullet.... and if the velocity of a +P round is boasted even more... then I suspect there will be even less penetration.

And ya gotta start some where... so velocity tests will, at the very least, help me choose a "best" ammo for my carbine.... or answer questions for me.
View Quote

Indeed, this is what needs to be tested.  Given the increased velocity out of the 16" bbl, what will the penetration be after expansion?  This may be where the 147 grn loads shine - as they gain the least velocity from the increased length.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 1:11:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top