Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2017 2:42:33 PM EDT
I'm down to my last two boxes of Federal ammunition.  The stash was twelve, but I do shoot a few rounds of it every time I do range time.  Anyway, I got the ammo sometime in the '90s, but I haven't noticed any decrease in the thunder/flash at the range, so it appears to be still doing its job.  I'll have to chrony a few rounds before its gone to satisfy any doubts.

Is Speer still the cappo di tutti cappi for .38 spcl +P rounds?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 4:15:19 PM EDT
[#1]
The FBI uses Federal HST.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 4:23:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I've read a lot of good things about the Speer and Federal offerings. I carry the Hydra-Shok in 129gr +p
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 4:28:21 PM EDT
[#3]
You won't go wrong with Speer Gold Dot or Federal HST.  Either will serve you well.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 9:33:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Federal has a 130 grain .38+P HST coming soon. But the load is like a wad cutter so it may be a pain to do speed reloads with.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 1:15:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The FBI uses Federal HST.
View Quote

Not for 38 spl, and I believe the use Gold Dot G2 for 9mm.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 9:24:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Speer Gold-Dot 125gr +P is a good loading (SKU 53720)

For everyone recommending HST, Federal does not currently produce a HST loading in .38 Special...
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 7:35:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Speer Gold-Dot 125gr +P is a good loading (SKU 53720)

For everyone recommending HST, Federal does not currently produce a HST loading in .38 Special...
View Quote

They do now, actually. Credit to @GSL in another thread:

HST .38 Special
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 8:26:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

They do now, actually. Credit to @GSL in another thread:

HST .38 Special
View Quote

That's why I said currently.  I know its been announced, but right now its unobtainable vaporware.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 10:38:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Ammo does not go bad assuming reasonable storage. The ammo you have will be fine but you may have a hard time finding the exact same load again, the +p+ was probably an LE overrun from back when revolvers were still popular duty guns. Having said that a lot of more modern hollow point ammo is available today that should perform as well or even a bit better ballistically
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:45:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ammo does not go bad assuming reasonable storage. The ammo you have will be fine but you may have a hard time finding the exact same load again, the +p+ was probably an LE overrun from back when revolvers were still popular duty guns. Having said that a lot of more modern hollow point ammo is available today that should perform as well or even a bit better ballistically
View Quote

This! I've still got 7.62x39 ammo with a 1960's headstamp on them. They go off HARD every time without fail. As long as ammunition is stored "High & Dry" it won't go bad. Moisture is the problem that can degrade the efficacy of ammo. It's hot an humid in Georgia 8 months of the year and I sweat more than the average bear. I've yet to have a self defense/duty round fail to detonate as of yet... knock on wood!

If you are looking for a good .38spec load that is getting rave reviews the Gold Dot 135gr +P is apparently the shit as of now. But I think that it's optimized for short barrels. However, it certainly will still do the job in longer barrels though. I personally use GD 125 grain standard pressure as my first choice as it hits hard from a 2.5" barrel. It comes in +P loads too. Then there is always Buffalo Bore's loadings. I like their soft cast LSWCHP's. And lately I've been a fan of the Hornady 158gr XTP's. There are some wicked gel test on youtube as of recent that XTP's... Lastly, for a woods load I really like Buffalo Bores Hard Cast Wad Cutters in 158gr... They penetrate pelt, tendon, and shatter bone like nothing else in a .38Spec caliber that I've seen. So you've got quite a few modern options to choose from.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top