Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2017 8:00:26 PM EDT
I bought a ton of this ammo when it was marked down at walmart a while ago. Figured 9mm training ammo is training ammo.

Have a M&P 9mm where I thought the sites were too low/high because the POI would be consistent but VERY low on the target. I'd normally have to obscure the target from aiming so high with the pistol in order to hit it and chalked it up to the sites. Took out a brand new Beretta M9A3 today and the same exact thing.

I plan to get some quality brass stuff and see if this changes, but was curious if the Federal aluminum was known for being slow/weak/underpowered leading to much lower velocity than brass cased.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 2:31:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I bought a ton of this ammo when it was marked down at walmart a while ago. Figured 9mm training ammo is training ammo.

Have a M&P 9mm where I thought the sites were too low/high because the POI would be consistent but VERY low on the target. I'd normally have to obscure the target from aiming so high with the pistol in order to hit it and chalked it up to the sites. Took out a brand new Beretta M9A3 today and the same exact thing.

I plan to get some quality brass stuff and see if this changes, but was curious if the Federal aluminum was known for being slow/weak/underpowered leading to much lower velocity than brass cased.
View Quote
Sorry that it appears no-one is interested in helping you.
1st thing, is your question probably belongs under AR-15 » Ammunition where they discuss ammunition problems. 

I don't use Al cased ammo, so I did some searching out on the Interwebz, and I found there was some general grumbling and complaining about aluminum cased ammo in general and Federal brand in particular. 
The complaints centered around dirty ammo, low-powered, and the Al cases don't seal as tight as brass, so they can take up moisture when brass is still OK.  One poster at a Smith & Wesson site claimed the rounds are more likely to misfire near freezing temps.  All that is opinion though.  But you may want to sell off the whole lot this summer to someone that appreciates Al cased ammo, and re-stock with a well-regarded brass cased brand.

That's all I've got, hope this helped!
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:53:43 PM EDT
[#2]
In my experience the Federal Aluminum 9mm is hotter than the normal for Wal Mart Federal Champion 9mm.

Out of any of my 9mm pistols (Walther, Sig, CZ, FEG Hi Power) it shoots to the same point of aim as any other brand I use.
Never had any issues with feeding or extraction.  It's good inexpensive ammo.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:01:52 PM EDT
[#3]
How far away are you shooting it? Pistols tend to not be a long distance shooting piece. I would say 25 yards at max. I would say you'd get drastically different results the farther out you go.

If you want both a training and defense round, try some of the IMI brand stuff: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/722160/imi-ammunition-9mm-luger-115-grain-di-cut-jacketed-hollow-point-ammo-can-of-500-10-boxes-of-50

Very nice and you can use it for self-defense. Basically a win-win without hurting your wallet too bad.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 11:54:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Federal Aluminum shoots to the same point of impact as American Eagle or Winchester white box in my 9MMs.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 12:03:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Federal Aluminum shoots to the same point of impact as American Eagle or Winchester white box in my 9MMs.
View Quote

This.

I've never noticed any difference when shooting the Al stuff......I'm talking under 15 yards here.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 5:46:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I shoot the stuff all the time.  I do notice when shooting it vs the perfecta the fed ammo is hotter and slightly more recoil.  As far as hitting lower or higher it really depends on the pistol I am shooting and the sights on it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 7:13:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I love Fed aluminum and shoot it a lot. It feels similar to the other factory ammo I have shot, and I don't notice any real difference in POI or recoil. It shoots great in all of my guns, and is pretty clean too.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 7:47:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I just got 1500 rds of it from a guy who sold his 9mm guns 225 for all .some was win . I never had a problem with Alm. ammo will shoot in Sig and Glock 17 ,19
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 10:42:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I have been using it regularly in uspsa production matches and it is very reliable and I am often getting a zone hits at poi with some very tight groups as fast as I am capable of running, today at a match some of my shots were just about touching on the double tap targets.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 6:01:32 PM EDT
[#10]
It can cause problems in pistols with stepped chambers.  My PPS chokes on it hard but brass never is an issue.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 6:35:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Interesting, all my P99s have stepped chambers, and no issues at all with it.

Never tried it in my PPS though.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 6:46:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I shoot the Federal aluminum in 9mm and 45, and haven't noticed any shifts in POI/POA.  I usually shoot at 15 yards though.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:46:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Just like EdgecrusherXES, my PPS had problems with Federal Aluminum. Numerous failures to extract and popper primers.

However, no problem what so ever with Blazer Aluminum (or any other ammo)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top