Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2017 1:29:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 3:44:01 PM EDT
[#1]
The author did not specify what terminal performance he was looking for and for what purpose.  Even though the bullet did not expand at 1266 FPS, it still has a lot of penetration with a power factor of 304, so could do okay for larger, tough skinned living items.  Federal AE44A 240/JSHP has similar velocity and would probably have less penetration and greater expanded diameter in gel, which it seemed he may be looking for and may be a better load for his unstated purpose.

A .45 auto +P 200/230 grain has a power factor ~ 205 - 215, as a point of reference.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 3:55:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Soft points are designed to expand. If they don't, then they haven't done what they were designed to do. As I mentioned in the video, that isn't necessarily a failure because the velocity was likely well before what the bullet was designed for. I also mentioned that the performance is still suitable for certain applications.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 11:20:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I've fired that same Winchester load into a 50 gallon barrel of water from less than 10' away out of a Ruger 77/44.  This load generates around 1,800 fps on average from that rifle, it barely expanded given how tough a water test is on a bullet, especially at that range, I wasn't at all impressed.  IMO Winchester should at least notch the copper jacket to aid expansion and, I'm no metallurgist but I think their lead alloy may be a little too hard as well.  I've taken deer and seen others take deer with this round and it left almost no blood trail to follow.  It's basically a .429" hole punch, it'll get the job done but, you'd better have some patience and passable tracking skills.

After testing and field experience with the WWB rounds I tried the Ferderal AE jhp round mentioned above and have found them to be loaded essentially to the same velocity as the WWB's (I did not have to change the zero on my scope ), they group excellent as well.  Terminal performance was day and night better also, blood trails that Hellen Keller could follow.  I'd love to see how the Federals stack up to the WWB in gel tests.

Always enjoy watching your tests, thanks for your contributions!
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 11:36:05 PM EDT
[#4]
And thank you for the real world report.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 7:22:15 AM EDT
[#5]
The AE 44A is also highly accurate out of my 4" compensated barrel Taurus 44C, although I have not used it for anything other than punching paper.  This was my chosen load for kayaking in the swamps and isolated rivers against potential alligator, hog or black bear issues at close range.  Even out of this lightweight revolver, at 7 - 10 yards it would group just a bit larger than one large hole, shooting double action.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 4:52:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I've shot 9 deer with WWB 240 gr JSP from a 22" rifle, from 25 yds to 105 yds. None made it more than 25 yds. A few I got recovered bullets in the hide on the far side, text book mushroom, with slight core/jacket separation.  At 1800 fps. from a rifle the JSP preforms, not so much at lower handgun velocity.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 9:23:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Excellent. Thank you for posting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top