Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2016 1:52:21 PM EDT
I needed a project for the holiday weekend and decided I would make some snap caps. I have done some reading on the subject and want some input. First some say to fill the primer pocket with eraser. Others say don't use eraser because its to soft and somewhat abrasive. Others say use hot glue and still others say to leave it empty because dry firing isn't a issue. I am picking to leave them empty unless someone can change my mind. Next is marking them. Some say paint. I want to try seating one of my cast bullets then powder coating the whole round red. I have been powder coating cast bullets for a while using harbor freight red and black and baking in a toaster oven. Without a primer in the pocket I'm thinking this should work fine.   Any thoughts or opinions
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 6:25:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Powder coat is pretty thick and the round wouldn't chamber after being coated.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 9:53:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm hoping that it's thin enough to chamber smoothly.   I mic my cast bullets and it averages .002 in paint thickness
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 2:16:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Update.    It was a dumb idea.   I tossed the powder coated in the burn barrel, started over and just painted them with Brownells alum-a-hyde.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 2:17:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Update.    It was a dumb idea.   I tossed the powder coated in the burn barrel, started over and just painted them with Brownells alum-a-hyde.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 7:42:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I have the dark red/wine colored snap-caps and I kept losing them in the leaves when we went shooting, so I painted the "projectile" part  zombie green with the wife's fingernail polish. Scratches a little, but still chamber fine and are much easier to see when on the ground. Repaint as needed and you're good to go.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 9:01:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm hoping that it's thin enough to chamber smoothly.   I mic my cast bullets and it averages .002 in paint thickness
View Quote

So two layers is 0.004 since the coating covers the entire round so the diameter has two layers.

Liable to be a rather tight fit.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 12:59:35 AM EDT
[#7]
If you want to stain the brass a different color use dykem.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 8:03:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Fill the empty primer pockets with silicone sealer and scrape it flat to dry.  I did this many years ago with all kinds of empty cases and shotgun shells to practice dry firing.  Some guns like the Springfield XDM specifically state not to dry fire them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top