Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2016 12:41:40 PM EDT
I had a box of 100 that was complete crap today ftf fte and damaged when they were seated it crushed the case I tried to submit a complaint online but the site doesn't seem to be working any one have a  customer service phone #?  

Link Posted: 9/3/2016 2:13:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I quit buying Winchester ammo a long time ago because of issues with bulk pack .40 S&W. Issues went away with Federal ammo.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 7:22:22 PM EDT
[#2]
About par for WWB lately.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 1:34:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I quit using WWB years ago due to an increasing number of faulty rounds.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 12:27:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/5/2016 1:20:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I had a box of 100 that was complete crap today ftf fte and damaged when they were seated it crushed the case I tried to submit a complaint online but the site doesn't seem to be working any one have a  customer service phone #?  
View Quote

I stopped shooting that shit in my late teens, when I first started shooting/training... WWB and Remington UMC are of the shittiest quality American made ammo in my honest opinion/experience. They are the only ammo that can consistently render and otherwise 100% function firearm (after thousands of trouble free rounds) to cause to malfunction... During the aftermath of SandyHook it was the only ammo available. Both brands caused failures in every pistol I had with me that day. FTE, FTF, cases 1mm too long causing failure to battery, stove pipes, etc was par for the course that day. Went back to normal ammo the next trip and zero problems existed in 4 pistols. I've also had great experiences with WWB too to be honest. It's just too hit or miss to waste my time, money, and certainly to stock for SHTF for me. YMMV...

To answer your question OP about who to contact. Unless you and 1K rounds of it on hand I would just chalk this experience up to a lesson learned and stay away from WWB.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 1:21:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I stopped shooting that shit in my late teens, when I first started shooting/training... WWB and Remington UMC are of the shittiest quality American made ammo in my honest opinion/experience. They are the only ammo that can consistently render and otherwise 100% function firearm (after thousands of trouble free rounds) to cause to malfunction... During the aftermath of SandyHook it was the only ammo available. Both brands caused failures in every pistol I had with me that day. FTE, FTF, cases 1mm too long causing failure to battery, stove pipes, etc was par for the course that day. Went back to normal ammo the next trip and zero problems existed in 4 pistols. I've also had great experiences with WWB too to be honest. It's just too hit or miss to waste my time, money, and certainly to stock for SHTF for me. YMMV...

To answer your question OP about who to contact. Unless you and 1K rounds of it on hand I would just chalk this experience up to a lesson learned and stay away from WWB.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 4:25:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Echoing others, its pretty normal for Winchester's bulk ammo. I used it when I first got into shooting because of the price, and the 9mm I used had an issue out of almost every 100 pack box that I bought.

Look elsewhere for quality ammo, buying online in larger quantities will bring the price down without all the quality issues.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 11:34:06 AM EDT
[#8]
They moved Center fire production from the Union plant here to a right to work cheap state. The East Alton plant employees had worked there since High School and their fathers and Grand fathers worked there.There has been some problems but I would think eventually the new labor will catch on.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 1:38:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Google any brand ammo with the word "failure" or "junk" etc. and you will read negative reviews from all brands across the board. Ammo is like that, millions of rounds produced, lot after lot. I can fire 5,000 rds. of brand X without an issue and another person can report nothing but problems. Yes, some have a worse reputation than others, but all suffer from bad lots from time to time.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 9:56:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a shooting buddy who does not reload. He buys WWB at Walmart by the box. Over the course of six months, I have observed him have numerous failures to feed with WWD 115 fmj because the rounds were too long to chamber in his Glock 19 and Ruger.

Link Posted: 9/12/2016 7:51:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have a shooting buddy who does not reload. He buys WWB at Walmart by the box. Over the course of six months, I have observed him have numerous failures to feed with WWD 115 fmj because the rounds were too long to chamber in his Glock 19 and Ruger.

View Quote

I'm glad you made this post. I bought a box of this exact WWB 115gr. 9mm fmj about a month ago and noticed that it does seem to be quite a bit longer than some WWB 9mm 115gr. fmj I bought several years ago in the late 1990's.

I had intially thought the new WWB 9mm 115 gr. fmj would cause problems because of it's length, but I haven't had the chance to try it yet. Your post confirms my suspicions that it will probably cause FTF problems in my Ruger LC9s, maybe it will work in my S&W 5906.

BTW, I have shot several hundreds of rounds of the older WWB in both 9mm 115gr. fmj and .45acp 230gr. fmj calibers and have never encontered any problems with it other than being a little dirty. But again this is older WWB that I have/had stored for several years
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 10:59:52 AM EDT
[#12]
It was in a Win 100 round bulk box that I found my very rare collectible 9X20 round!!! The case looked otherwise perfect but was about 1mm too long. I still have it somewhere.

I stopped buying the Win bulk boxes at Walmart when they became too expensive. Back when they were under $20 per 100 round box, it was a good deal and the ammo was decent. In thousands of rounds I only had that one "stretched" round and all the rest looked and shot great. But that was maybe about 6-8 years ago.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 2:18:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I shot thousands of rounds of it in the $20/100 packs when I turned 21 and got a G26. Never any problems at all.   That was probably around 2010. Based on this thread I won't be trying more.

I do think Remington and Winchester are pretty low quality, I'd rather shoot Federal or go European with S&B or PPU. All the Winchester ammo I've bought looked like shit come to think of it.

It's actually extremely rare for me to shoot factory ammo these days..it's nice.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 2:51:25 PM EDT
[#14]
It's all I ever shoot in my Glocks,  Never had any problems.

I do rotate stock, so I'm probably still shooting stuff I bought 5 years ago.

Link Posted: 9/16/2016 9:24:27 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a stash of older WWB .45 ACP and have not had issues with it, however I have not purchased any of it in the last three years.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 8:06:51 PM EDT
[#16]
I get it for .18 to .19 per round OTD so I shoot it almost exclusively.  Shot a fair amount of Freedom new and reman.  Never had any problems in 9mm or .45.  All this is in the last three years.
I mainly shoot a P938 and moreso a P320 (add in G17, G19, Beretta 92).  No fail to fire and 2 fail too feed which I think was my problem during IDPA.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 12:58:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Ok please post guns and mags used., as I have haven't had any issues to date.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 6:58:54 PM EDT
[#18]
WWB continues to get worse in the QC category, but the price stays the same.

I have found the cheap steel Russian ammo to be not only cheaper, but more reliable.

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:38:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought many, many VP boxes of WWB back when it was around $9 per 100 for 9mm and $14 for .45 acp, no issues other then a bit smokey/sooty. The new stuff is nowhere as reliable or manufactured as consistantly as it was back then. I'd daresay that MOST of the newer ''plinking/training'' pistol ammo is far less well made then it was 10-15 years ago.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:15:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, that's what my buddy always used to buy for his VP9. The last box he bought had an insane amount of crimp. It wouldn't allow most of the rounds to fully chamber. He shot maybe half of it but I got the rest because it functioned in my gun.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:25:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Shot a class on the 1st and 2nd.  Two guys had lots of issues (fail to feed, fail to fire, fail to return to battery) with WWB, one shooting a Glock 19 and the other shooting a 40 of some type.  Appears WWB is the cat's pajamas if you want to shoot malfunction drills.  In my group of five, we shot Federal aluminum case, Speer Lawman, Blazer Brass, Wolf steel case and some Prvi.  None of us had any issues.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 1:35:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Shot a class on the 1st and 2nd.  Two guys had lots of issues (fail to feed, fail to fire, fail to return to battery) with WWB, one shooting a Glock 19 and the other shooting a 40 of some type.  Appears WWB is the cat's pajamas if you want to shoot malfunction drills.  In my group of five, we shot Federal aluminum case, Speer Lawman, Blazer Brass, Wolf steel case and some Prvi.  None of us had any issues.
View Quote

That's what I tell people anytime I see them buying or shooting wwb You working on your malfunction clearances?

I hate to be "that guy" because some people are so easily pissed off, but if I see someone buying wwb I try to gently persuade them on to something else.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 11:38:07 AM EDT
[#23]
WWB used to be all I shot- no issues. Admittedly, I haven't shot it in quite a while because I buy cases of Lawman or American Eagle online now. I still have some, I guess I'll see how it goes.

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 5:30:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:11:29 AM EDT
[#25]
I am still shooting WWB I bought in the early 2000's . I bought over 10,000 rounds for $90 a K and probably still have about 1,000 left , It is a little dirty but runs great , If you shoot enough of any ammo you will have failures .
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:27:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Just shot a 100 round box of new WWB 9mm last night. No issues and all rounds looked pristine.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 12:56:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Personally I just cant see paying more for WWB when it has several reported cases of poor performance. The Perfecta and Federal Aluminum can both be found at WalMart right beside the Winchester, both are cheaper and have fewer issues out of everything I have ran them through.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:29:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Personally I just cant see paying more for WWB when it has several reported cases of poor performance. The Perfecta and Federal Aluminum can both be found at WalMart right beside the Winchester, both are cheaper and have fewer issues out of everything I have ran them through.
View Quote

My WalMart doesn't have any Perfecta right now and I can't shoot the aluminum stuff at my range. I do prefer the Federal Champion if I'm buying ammo at WalMart.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 7:32:31 AM EDT
[#29]
I've had no issues with it in either 9mm or .45. Guns are Glock 19.4, Ruger LC9S, M&P45.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 4:39:04 PM EDT
[#30]
picture is worth 1000 words.

I emailed Winchester. Dont expect anything but I wanted them to see what they are putting on the shelves these days. 95% of my loads are reloads. I was out of town and needed ammo for a match. This is what was in my 200 round bulk pack.

Link Posted: 3/19/2017 6:48:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
picture is worth 1000 words.

I emailed Winchester. Dont expect anything but I wanted them to see what they are putting on the shelves these days. 95% of my loads are reloads. I was out of town and needed ammo for a match. This is what was in my 200 round bulk pack.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b113/rdinak/IMG_1805_zpsy78smjtk.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b113/rdinak/IMG_1806_zpsvshlds9g.jpg
View Quote

Their QA/QC people need to get retrained or canned for that.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:46:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Crush damage maybe... Maybe left the factory that way.  Look people get way over bent about it.  They make millions of rounds of ammo they can't get it all right all the time.  There are MANY more people that use WWB in any caliber that do not have a single problem them those few that post here.

I have almost exclusively shoot WWB .40 bulk packs since 09 I had very few(2 or 3) problems.

I can't say that with American Eagle or Federal.....But again same thing applies.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:52:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Thank you for contacting Winchester Ammunition.

We are currently reviewing your inquiry and someone from our product support team will contact you.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 8:40:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Getting the complete circle jerk and run around from winchester after sending defective examples back. Nothing less than I expected. Next time I will just send one defective round with a sticky note that says-you pay peanuts you get monkeys....obviously the monkeys making the ammo were having a bad day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top