Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2013 2:35:24 PM EDT
Anything I should be concerned with if considering lower priced aluminum cased ammo vs. brass? It seems to be available and cheaper. Any issues like we discuss with AR ammo and steel cases not expanding? Looking at getting some in 9mm and .45 if I can find it. For a P226 and a 1911. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/11/2013 3:09:10 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are talking about CCI Blazer it is good stuff. I have been shooting it for probably 25 years plus. I have shot it in cheap guns as well as expensive Wilson Combat 1911's. It shoots pretty consistently and is fairly powerful. I had a Glock 27 that I shot nearly 5000 rounds of Blazer aluminum through. The gun would shoot a 2" ragged hole with the stuff at 15 yards. It used to be a few bucks cheaper than brass but not so much anymore. I still shoot it when I can find it because I like it and I don't reload.
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 3:43:51 PM EDT
[#2]
For the non-reloader, the Blazer aluminum case ammo is good.  I can think of only one caveat.  I have seen several 9mm AR15s choke on it.  My belief is that this is due to the blowback action.  In pistols I have tried it in, it worked perfectly.  In revolvers it works well, though I have only tried the .44 Special.

Nice and lightweight also.
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 9:23:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I ran thru 4K Blazer Aluminum back when it was $3.80 box from Academy (that's not a typo) thru a G19 , never had any problems but it was pretty weak, would notice this when switching to other brands between trips to Academy, use to be a hour drive for me back then.

Damn I wish I had bought 20 K rds  
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 9:30:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Before I turned myself into a brass hoarder, I loved shooting aluminum blazer.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 10:09:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I would buy Blazer aluminum 9mm even if the price was the same as brass.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 10:27:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For the non-reloader, the Blazer aluminum case ammo is good. .
View Quote

Shoot!  For us reloaders who want a break and the joy of shooting without picking up brass it's a Godsend every so often.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 1:38:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I also like it, but I'll share one experience. At a match, a guy was getting failures to feed. Someone immediately explained that the rim of the top case can catch the groove below it, and since the aluminum isn't as soft as brass (which would just scratch a little) would cause the FTF. They put some brass ammo in and the gun ran like a champ.  I'm convinced it could be an issue in some guns, but if yours functions well with it, don't think twice about it. That's my only experience like that, but some other guys said they had seen it. My guns always worked fine on Blazer, but mostly revolvers.
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 5:03:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Shot tens of thousands of rounds of the stuff in many caliber (but mainly 9/10mm) never had a single issue in any weapon (pistols)!

Not really as cheap as it used to be, but still decent ammo for the price.

~g
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 6:59:02 AM EDT
[#9]
A friend picks the Aluminum cases up and reloads them only once.
He said when he is in the woods he doesn't have to worry about losing brass.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 4:23:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Shot a good amount of it in 9mm. Its done so well for me my SHTF pack is loaded with it because of the weight savings.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 12:09:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I have found the 9mm to shoot match grade groups in an early Sig 239, and does just fine in 3 other 9mm guns I own. I don't know of any other readily available FMJ that shoots any better.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 4:52:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For the non-reloader, the Blazer aluminum case ammo is good.  I can think of only one caveat.  I have seen several 9mm AR15s choke on it.  My belief is that this is due to the blowback action.  In pistols I have tried it in, it worked perfectly.  In revolvers it works well, though I have only tried the .44 Special.

Nice and lightweight also.
View Quote

This!  I'm a reloader and hate when people next to me at the range are shooting that stuff, don't save their casings and I can't be bothered to pick them up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top