Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2006 6:04:13 PM EDT
I am wondering if the Combat Commander frame is any different than a full size frame.  I thought that the slide was shortened by about .75 inches, but that the frame remained the same.  I was thinking about building a convertible.  Anyone with a combat commander or commander, who could give me a hand with some measurements?

Dan C
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:47:43 PM EDT
[#1]
The Commander/Combat Commander frame is shorter than the full size. Charles.  

ETA: Shorter in the dust cover for sure. I don't recall if the rails are shorter?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:52:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Shorter where?  In the dust cover?  The rails?  In what area are the specs different?

Dan C
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:50:57 AM EDT
[#3]
The rails are .110" shorter, and the dust cover is .250" or a quarter of an inch shorter.  If you put a Commander slide on a Government frame, the dust cover will overhang the relief cut on the slide.  If you put a Governement slide on a Commander frame, there will be a gap between theback of the relief cut/spring tunnel of the slide and the front of the dust cover.

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:56:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks John. I never seem to have one of those 'little' guns around for very long. Charles.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:07:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Ya know, I never do too.  This one will be going to someone else, so after that, no more compact 1911s.  It's just 120 miles, so one of these days I'm goign to have to take a day trip out to see your shop.  Then you can show me where to shoot in Tucson.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:53:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for your knowledgable reply.  It illustrates perfectly what I was looking for.  I guess I'm going to have to build a Commander sized gun (steel frame).  Can you recommend a frame that is properly machined so that I won't have to do a lot of metal work?  

Dan C
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:29:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Caspian. Charles.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:39:42 PM EDT
[#8]
The man speaks wisely!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top