Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2006 6:10:22 PM EDT
I have a TLE/RL and run Wilson combaqt 47D's. When I press the magazine catch the mag will drop about 1/4 of an inch and get hung up. I can feel the mag hanging up on the release button. I tried several different magazines from other guys on my team and they all felt the same. I also tried another mag release from my buddies TLE and it was the same thing.

I know this sounds crazy but it drops the mags fine when the slide is forward, but when the slide is locked to the rear they hang up.

Any suggestions on what could be causing this? I cleaned the mag well and the mag catch and still had the same problem.

Thanks in advance

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:00:08 PM EDT
[#1]
just had the same problem with my 47's while lockin ghtem to the rear.
So I put them in a vice and squeezed the top of the mag in a little bit very carefully because compairing them to the 7 rders it looked a little wide like the follower was pushing up to far and expanding the mag.  after that they worked fine.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:58:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know the cause, but I can mention some things to look for.  First, the reason they drop with the slide forward is that the follower is pushed up against the bottom of the slide, and there is a slight amount of spring tension that gives it a push.  

Second, the most common cause of this is one or more of the grip screw bushings protruding slightly into the magwell.  Usually when this is the case, it's only a very slight amount.  Take a magic marker and coat the sides of a clean mag.  Insert and remove the mag a few times.  If you have rub marks on the mag where the inside of the grip screw bushings would be, then there is your cause.  

Another cause, though this is with horribly out of spec guns, is a sear spring with an overly long locating tab sticking out into the magwell.  I highly doubt this is the case, especially with a Kimber.  While looking into the magwell towards the back of the grip, you will see a horizontal cut on the back surface.  This is where the sear spring locator tab sits.  If the sear spring sticks out too much here, it can hang your mags up.

Yet another cause I've seen a few times is simply ahving warped base pads.  The fact that you tried several other mags probably makes this a slight possibility.

I can tell you most likely what's not causing it.  The magwell of the gun should be plenty large enough.  Also, more than likely it's not the mag release, though that's a small possibility.  Anyway, check the above two mentioned things first, and if those are fine, try removing the mag release all together and see if a mag sticks with the slide back.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:54:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for the replies gentlemen.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top