Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2002 1:38:31 PM EDT
I've got an FM Hi-Power Detective pistol that has been a great all around pistol. Very reliable, suprisingly accurate and best of all, it cost only $200 new several years back.

It has been a bit of a "beater gun" and has accompanied me on many fishing/camping trips. As a result the finish on the frame developed some peeling. It appears to be painted while the slide appears to be parkerized.

I'm contemplating refinishing the gun with Brownell's bake on spray laquer. If I do, I'm planning a two-tone green/black color scheme.

Any hints/tips/advise much appreciated!! Especially regarding stripping the remaining finish off of the frame. this is my first attempt at modifying a handgun, so please bear with me. I could send it out to a pro but I'd like to do the work myself and keep costs to a minimum.
Thanks------------Wes
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 9:10:43 AM EDT
[#1]
WES,
   THE BEST WAY AND QUICKEST WAY IS TO COMPLETELY STRIP THE UPPER AND LOWER, THEN BEAD BLAST, THIS NOT ONLY REMOVE THE FINISH EVENLY IT WILL ALSO HELP TO BLEND ANY SURFACE NICKS AND SCRATCHES, FOR A SMOOTHER FINSH.

ACTIONS BY R.A.K. CUSTOM GUNSMITHING
RON KONTOWSKY
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 9:18:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply. Any suggestions as to stripping prior to bead blasting? Guys over at fnhipower.com recommended sand blasting...
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 9:30:46 AM EDT
[#3]
WES,
    JUST THE INTERNAL COMPONENTS,FOR CLEANER APPEARANCE REMOVE THE REAR SIGHT, AND STAY OFF THE THE RAILS WITH THE PAINT BE CAREFUL WITH THE SAND BLASTING , USE ONLY FINE SILICA SAND.

ACTIONS BY R.A.K. CUSTOM GUNSMITHING
RON KONTOWSKY
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 9:42:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks again, the slide is in great shape so I'll probably leave it as is. The frame was the initial cause of concern with the flaking rust is inevitable and I wanted to go with another color since it's available.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top