Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2017 6:17:15 PM EDT
I snagged a trade-in .45 USPc with AB date code and am thinking I might ought to replace the recoil spring assembly at least.

I took it to the range and it was definitely still what I would call an accurate pistol. The slide movement didn’t feel consistent, though, so not sure what would account for that. It felt springy sometimes almost like it slowed down maybe.

No jams or malfunctions in about 100 rounds, but without an exact round count (it looked very clean inside and out) I’m just trying to anticipate where wear has likely occurred and if it is time to address any part replacement.

I’m also leaning toward a lighter factory trigger spring and new firing block safety spring while I’m at it. Why not make the trigger pull just a pound lighter while we’re at it?

Anything else on an older USP I should be looking at as far as maintenance goes?
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 4:23:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Cleaned and lubed?

Springs are generally low cost enough to simply replace on an unknown gun unless it is completely a range gun.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 11:23:00 AM EDT
[#2]
My simpleanswer if it runs don’t mess with it. Spring replacement I feel for the most part is more a psychological than mechanical fix. Plenty of fifty year old guns found loaded in desk drawers pulled out and shot that run perfectly
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 11:17:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My simpleanswer if it runs don’t mess with it. Spring replacement I feel for the most part is more a psychological than mechanical fix. Plenty of fifty year old guns found loaded in desk drawers pulled out and shot that run perfectly
View Quote
I get that but without a known round count, I want to be sure that crucial parts don’t have wear that exceeds the reliability margin. I’m not afraid to take a pistol apart and replace parts as needed. I just don’t really know what to look for or which parts likely need replacing first.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 12:58:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I get that but without a known round count, I want to be sure that crucial parts don’t have wear that exceeds the reliability margin. I’m not afraid to take a pistol apart and replace parts as needed. I just don’t really know what to look for or which parts likely need replacing first.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No way to tell except by examining every parts and wear surface.

For the most part wear is not accounted for in gun design.

Some parts might still function.

It comes down to if it still works it is likely fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top