Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2017 5:29:43 PM EDT
I have two Colt Government model 1911's in 9mm. One is blued, the other is stainless. They both have the same issue. Using 115 grain brass ammo of different brands, it ejects casings up and rearward, almost in an arc above the right side of your head. It will hit you in the forehead with brass sometimes. I had a casing land in between the bill of my hat and glasses and sit there on my eyebrow. Aluminum casings will get flung farther to the right and away from me. The only other 1911 I had was a Charles Daly .45 a few years back without this problem. Is this a 9mm 1911 thing, a Colt thing, a Colt 9mm thing or a combination of all? Can a gunsmith change the extractor spring? I'm not working on a 1911 myself. I don't have the time or patience.

Thanks in advance for pointing me in the right direction.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:31:36 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a combination of the ejector and extractor.  An extended ejector will start the ejection process earlier and change where the brass goes.  Also extractor tension affects where the brass goes.  I can't help much more as all my 1911's eject well and I haven't had to tweek them.  My ole gunsmith was a tool and die maker who would be called a parts changer by some, yet he tuned every 1911 he built to function well.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:38:04 PM EDT
[#2]
1911's in general and 9mm in particular can be finicky. It sounds like it is running reliably- leave it alone! Don't trade one problem for another a gun running with sloppy ejection is preferable to one that is malfunctioning because someone tried to tweak the ejection pattern. The only option is a gunsmith who knows what he is doing with 1911's ( there are lots of butchers out there) as you experience with the 1911 is limited ( they do not have an extractor spring the extractor is bent steel which has to be stoned and/or tweaked just right to run proper) I would not deal with this your self
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top