Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2016 3:06:05 PM EDT
I was cleaning my 1911 Para. (this was build when Para was only selling frames)
I found that my Extractor looked like this:

The one on the right is the one out of the Para.
The one on the left is a new(GI style extractor)
The one that cam out works fine. No extraction problems!
The GI style does not readily fit! The older one goes right in!
So I guess my question would be.
Sense it works, any reason to change it?
And why would an extractor have to be fitted that much?

Thanks for any help!!!

PITA45
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 3:20:31 PM EDT
[#1]
THIS is what a bag of hammer dicks looks like.

Someone ground the inner nub off an extractor. The new one won't fit because the extractor tunnel in the slide is out of spec.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 3:36:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Someone ground the inner nub off an extractor. The new one won't fit because the extractor tunnel in the slide is out of spec.
View Quote

Agreed. Some of the older Para frames had that problem and the only solution is to grind the new one like the old one.

Having said that, I would follow Murphy's 3rd law: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 3:48:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info. The Para part is only the frame.
The slide is a Colt! Yes even Colt could be out of spec.
Sense it does work. I well be putting it back in!
Anyone else have any more knowledge on this.
Please feel free to speak up!!!

Thanks again!!!

PITA45
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 3:49:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Agreed. Some of the older Para frames had that problem and the only solution is to grind the new one like the old one.

Having said that, I would follow Murphy's 3rd law: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. The frame has nothing to do with the extractor.  As stated above, the extractor tunnel in the slide is likely out of specification.  A competent 1911smith/machinist can fix the slide.  Then, the extractor tension can be adjusted for optimal function.

1911 extractor tension is one of the keys to a good working 1911.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 9:51:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

No. The frame has nothing to do with the extractor.  As stated above, the extractor tunnel in the slide is likely out of specification.  A competent 1911smith/machinist can fix the slide.  Then, the extractor tension can be adjusted for optimal function.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see my mistake- yer absolutely right; that's what I get for drinking and typing.

I had meant to say slide and was thinking frame- ergo the error.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:27:38 PM EDT
[#6]
If it works you have your answer. If a gun runs I probably would not even detail strip the slide as long as it's running looks matter not performance does
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 12:49:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Your sure are right! I have and older
Colt not much on looks! But run like a champ!!!

Thanks again

PITA45
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top