Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2016 1:41:51 PM EDT
I went to the local gun store to browse and I saw a SW 29-2 4 inch bbl.I asked to look at it and checked it out very well.

No push off
No end shake
No excessive wear looks new
Now flame cut
No cracked forcing cone
Timing perfect
Double action and single action worked fine
No rust at all.

The gun looks absolutely mint. I paid $1059 out the door tax and background check.

It was very dirty. Looked like it was shot 50 rounds and not cleaned. The presentation box velvet was in the gun a bit. Cylinder ect. Came with the presentation box but all velvet was stripped out of it. This probably prevented rust cause I think it was stored in it.

I took it home and cleaned it real well. Opened the side plated and no rust and cleaned it perfectly. Looks new.

The issue I am having is sometimes when I put the gun in single action and dry fire it,when I release the trigger the trigger has a slight problem resetting. It does it in double action too. Not all the time on both. That's why I didn't catch it in the store. It also happens when the cylinder is out while cleaning. I think it is something in the side plate.

What do you think it is? Am I screwed? Need advice.

SN N79xxx doing it by memory. I think I dated it to 1980

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 6:44:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Plenty of lube inside?

right inside the frame, above the rigger, is a rectangular "box" with a spring in it.  It pushes the trigger back into position.  I think it's called a rebound slide????  It's been a long time since I had my M29 apart.  I do remember the action is the same (except for size) on my 586.

Anyway, first thing to try is some oil on the spring inside that slide and the slide outside surfaces where it contacts the interior walls of the frame/sideplate.

Even if something is dragging a little that may free it up enough to "wear in".  If you take that rebound slide/spring out I think I remember it being a little aggravating to get back into place so just lube it first.

Make sure you've got the right sized screw drivers/blades as you don't want to mess up the slots/heads on those screws.  It makes a really nice revolver look bad.

Fun to shoot, too.  Accurate and smooth.  If you look in the dictionary under the word smooth, the older ones have a picture of a S&W M29 (just joking, but mine is just unbelievably smooth/slick even compared to my other S&W revolvers.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 6:52:49 PM EDT
[#2]
perhaps the spring that returns the trigger forward has been replaced with a lighter unit. I think the stock spring
is #18. I replaced the main and trigger return spring in my M629 with the Wilson Combat kit and used the #13
return spring. Single action trigger break is slightly below #3. Trigger return is solid.
maybe yours has been trimmed, or maybe replaced, just guessing.
thats a damn fine gun you got. my shooting buddy has a blued .44 Mountain Gun and its perfect.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 10:37:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you very much for all your help. I made the same post on the smith and Wesson forums. The guys their are saying the same thing about the rebound spring. I have taken these apart over the years. I have a proper screw driver as well. I am going to shoot a box out of it then if it continues I will get a spring from brownells or midway.

I hope this works out because it is a very nice revolver.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top