Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2016 10:20:57 AM EDT
So a buddy of mine was given this by his old man. the receiver was completely taken apart and all the small parts were lost over time. To add insult to injury the PO tried to "Polish" the bluing off and only got parts of it done. You can see it around the trigger well.

So now my buddy has no love for 1911s and gives two shits about this one. What he asked me for was advice. Do we put it back together to sell it. Do we sell it as is.  Whats it going to take to put it back together. Whats it going to cost to just buy the parts and do it our selves vs sending it to a pro.

ive not put together a 1911 before but i think i have the skills and patience to do it. Lord knows there are plenty of tutorials out there.

So, throw me some advice that i can forward to a wayward gun owner.

that poor pistol  
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 10:29:40 AM EDT
[#1]
If it were my dad's pistol, I'd reblue it and finish it myself... Of course since I'm not a 1911 guy, I'd have no idea what I'd be getting into!
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 10:35:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Me as well. I suggested rebuilding and holding onto it. But I'm sentimental
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 10:36:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Colt still have a Custom Shop?
If so, send it back for rebuild as that is NOT the average Joe M1911

Failing that get one of the known 1911 gurus to restore it

Link Posted: 9/20/2016 10:37:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't know. Worth a call..
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 11:07:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Never mind, I didn't check which forum.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 11:31:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I suggested he ship it off to colt or another builder but warned him it would not be cheap. I think he is just going to try to sell the parts as is and put that towards another pistol. Sad to see, what was probably a cool pistol, end up that way. Maybe someone else will love it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 2:27:17 PM EDT
[#7]
looks like a pretty easy fix to me. just get all the small parts and fit them .  once its all done it should be a pretty nice gun.

i see these missing

Sear/dis/hammer
grip safety
thumb safety
grip screws and bushing
slide stop
mag catch
barrel bushing
trigger
Asst springs maybe

i see $250 to $300 worth of quality parts. even cheaper by using lower end parts . Brownells is your friend in this case

all these are easily found. non of these are out of the realm of a knowledgable DIYer. a lot of these things get changed anyways by people customing their gun.  since there is nothing there you can choose what part you like to use.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 2:28:50 PM EDT
[#8]
All collector value is gone, so get that out of your head.  You cannot send it back to Colt for restoration because the frame has been cut for what looks like an Ed Brown grip safety.  If you don't know how to build a 1911 then sell it to someone who does.  It appears that all can be salvaged by someone who knows what he's doing, but that can only be determined by a competent gunsmith with gun in hand.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 9:47:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I had one of those some years back;

originianl parts.

Millet sights
Colt rubber wraparound grip.
Colt ambi safety ( The paddles looked like the standard thumb safety)
Colt beavertail grip safety. ( The tail came out as a flat paddle)
Black plastic mainspring housing.
I think the trigger was a long back plastic.

Nice gun. Too bad somebody took it apart and lost the orignal parts.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:33:12 PM EDT
[#10]
How much does he want for it? I wouldn't mind building another one
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 7:21:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All collector value is gone, so get that out of your head.  You cannot send it back to Colt for restoration because the frame has been cut for what looks like an Ed Brown grip safety.  If you don't know how to build a 1911 then sell it to someone who does.  It appears that all can be salvaged by someone who knows what he's doing, but that can only be determined by a competent gunsmith with gun in hand.
View Quote

Sentimental value mainly.

Look around for the parts.

They are probably somewhere.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:19:32 PM EDT
[#12]
That's an opportunity to do some work.  Shame you s a custom shop colt probably didn't need it or much.   I would put in some higher end parts and re blue.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 7:35:18 PM EDT
[#13]
That emblem on the slide looks like a domed capital building. 1/1000 is worth more if returned to original configuration.

Personally I would build it using Cylinder & Slide or Wilson parts and keep it as an heirloom. Getting it re-blued won't cost a lot because the metal is in perfect condition.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 10:57:46 AM EDT
[#14]
What's the number on the bottom of that note under the frame?  Looks like at one point in the past someone wanted to get some work done do it.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 2:10:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I would recommend sending it off to a smith to get refitted.  Plenty of experts either a short or long drive from you.  I would do something with adjustable sights and a match grade barrel myself...
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:32:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I would spray it down with brake cleaner and then hang it in my shower. After a few weeks i would boil it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 8:23:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I normally would refer this to any good smith but in the very distinct case of THIS gun.

Send

it

to Colt's.

The gun deserves it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 8:51:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Sending it to Colt is probably the best option for restoration. On the other hand that looks like the perfect project gun for something cool.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 10:17:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Having "re-read" the OP....if I hadn't turned my wallet into a black hole over the holidays I would be making an offer on this, myself.

I would send it to Colt for a resto-mod.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 10:47:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks everyone
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 11:35:38 PM EDT
[#21]
If it was me, I would buy the replacement parts and build back myself for the most part. I have installed the trigger, hammer and sear. Easy to do if you take your time and prefit the parts first.

That frame is a good start for an excellent shooter.

Find a gunsmith you trust, make a parts list using a parts diagram for the missing parts and have the smith build the gun. Reblue the gun.

You do not have to do this all at once, collect parts over time to spread the expense out.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 9:01:54 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm President of Colt 1911 Rescue - Midwest Chapter

Send it to me and I'll be happy to see it finds a good home, no charge.  Its what I do.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 4:52:40 PM EDT
[#23]
ls his Dad still around to give him pistols?  Mine's not. I'd move heaven and earth to try and put it back together.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 5:25:54 PM EDT
[#24]
That was a really nice pistol.

What was he thinking?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top