Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2016 3:39:42 AM EDT
I have searched and found nothing. Does anyone have the dimensions for milling a glock slide to take a burris fast fire? I want to cowitness a set of suppressor sights. Already have the dovetail mount. I'm guessing I could take measurements and figure it out. Looking for the lazy way out.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:49:26 PM EDT
[#1]
What are you planning on milling the slide with? Any particular reason why you don't want to just send it out to be done? Not trying to be a butthole, just curious.
I'd be happy to send you the prints of the footprint. Just hate for someone to ruin their slide when having it done by a company that does it daily is so cheap.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 8:23:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I doubt a Burris Fast Fire will withstand the beating it will take when mounted on a slide. There has been a high failure rate reported on better red dots mounted in this fashion.

I would send it to a company that specializes in this work rather than do it myself. They will do it right the first time and avoid any expensive mistakes.

Link Posted: 9/4/2016 9:10:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I doubt a Burris Fast Fire will withstand the beating it will take when mounted on a slide. There has been a high failure rate reported on better red dots mounted in this fashion.  

View Quote

Tell that to some of our customers with 15k+ rounds on Fastfire III's on some of our milled slides. :)

Seriously though, I don't know where the whole "Fastfire III's won't hold up" thing came from. Yea, they do fail. Just like RMR's and the rest of them can and do fail.

I'm a huge Trijicon fan, but heck the RMR's have had battery contact issues for years now and Trijicon refuses to adress the issue simply telling customers to put electrical tape under the battery...
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 3:04:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What are you planning on milling the slide with? Any particular reason why you don't want to just send it out to be done? Not trying to be a butthole, just curious.
I'd be happy to send you the prints of the footprint. Just hate for someone to ruin their slide when having it done by a company that does it daily is so cheap.
View Quote

Sorry, forgot I put this here.

For milling the slide I would use a Bridgeport. How cheap are places doing this?

Also my slide has been Nitrated xM something, as in real hard coating. Not sure carbide would do.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 11:41:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I realize that I'm a bit late to the game here but perhaps I can help.

Carbide will cut that slide easily.  I machined my own using a rotary table on my 10x54 knee mill.  I first determined the radius of the front and rear of the sight (they're the same) and the distance between the front and the rear.  Seems like the radius was 4.50" but don't quote me on that.  I then did a test cut on the mill using some old 1"x1" bar stock.  It was right on so set the slide up on the table and got to cutting.  The two radiuses required two setups but it wasn't bad at all.  After coating the sight snapped right in with no play whatsoever.  Worked great!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top