Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/15/2001 1:33:06 PM EDT
Any one here use a beavertail guide and do their own?
I have,just trying to get something rolling.
How did it go?
cpermd
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 5:54:45 PM EDT
Perhaps because the site was down most of the weekend??
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 11:40:18 AM EDT
I've used the older style ones (Brown and Wilson type) from Brownell's that look like side plates. They're good for getting a rough cut but you'll still need to do a lot of work of you want a true custom look and feel.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 3:18:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/27/2001 4:32:01 PM EDT by AKASL]
I have done at least a half dozen without any guide at all. I just make sure I have new files on hand and the beavertail I want to install. I start with a coarse cut first to remove most of the stock and go to a medium cut to get a little closer. Then when I start getting close I take a black permenant marker and "paint" the area I just cut with a file. Place the beavertail on the "paint" and work it up and down a few times. Enough to find the high spots where the paint has been removed. This procedure usually takes me about four hours. I have never used a guide probably because I am too cheap to buy one.
If you would like I can send you a picture of one that I did.

AKASL

LIVE FREE OR DIE

NEW HAMPSHIRE
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 2:28:09 PM EDT
I've used the Brown guide to fit a McCormick hi-ride BT to a Springfield. I used a dremel to get to about 1/8" from the guide and then I finish the rest by hand with a swiss patter file.
Top Top