Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/18/2003 2:04:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/18/2003 2:05:27 PM EDT by 98toyota]
Could someone in here please tell me how to clean this pistol. It is not mine and the owner wants me to clean it but I know nothing about this pistol Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 6:04:47 PM EDT
Forgive me for asing the obvious, but what is giving you a hard time? Disassembly? Cleaning process? What?

Disassembly is done by removing the slide catch out of the side & then slowly letting the slide forward off of the frame. Think of a 1911 w/o a bushing.

Spray the frame with some gun scrub, wipe out the mag well real good, add lube to the mag well, rails & a drop some on the trigger & sear. Clean the slide, barrel & bore. Lube & reassemble. Dry fire. Wipe down mags & lube lightly on their outside. Done.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 3:08:05 AM EDT
Go to the S&W website and request a manual. It's free.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 4:01:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/20/2003 4:05:57 AM EDT by anothergene]
Of course, make sure the chamber is empty.
If the problem is getting it apart, the key is the slidestop, that dismounts the slide.
Be careful, the recoil spring remains in a little notch on the barrel and is under tension.
Take note how things fit for reassembly.
Once the spring is removed, the barrel bushing is rotated until it comes forward and the barrel is removed down and outward from the slide.
For the magazine, there is a button on the bottom (floorplate), when pushed inward, allows the floorplate to slide off for cleaning the mag assy.
Again, the mag spring is under tension, so at least, point it away from your face if you don't have safety glasses.
That gun has a magazine disconnect safety, which means it will not function without the magazine in place.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 1:26:39 PM EDT
The problem is getting it taken apart. I was told today that she hasn't cleaned it or taken it apart for 11 years. I couldn't believe her. But I will try the suggestions this weekend and hope for the best. Thanks guys.
Top Top