Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2006 2:42:12 PM EDT
I am not too familiar S&W automatic model designations, but I am looking for the full size, decocker .45 ACP equivalent of the 9mm 5906. I don't know that designation, but I thought it was 4566...does anyone own one of these, and if so, how do you like it? Are these reliable/durable weapons? What was the approximate years of manufacture? To me, they look like a modernized 1911, sharing similar lines/shape but being double action with a decocker. I also like the stainless finish and the fact that its made by S&W. What is the approximate price of the full size, stainless, 45ACP decocker equivalent of the 9mm 5906? It seems like they hover around 400.00 for one in good shape...how hard is it to find magazines for these? How would you compare accuracy/reliability/durability to the HK USP, Glock 21, Para LDA, Sig 220 or other double action .45's? I currently own a S&W 5906 which was an ex-PD weapon in stainless, which is a superb gun Its accuraty/reliable and I like the balance/feel/look and the sights. The magazine disconect is an advantage to me, as if you were struggling with an attacker you could drop the magazine out rendering the weapon "safe". It also gives you more options to store a loaded gun safely for HD use. I haven't been able to find one, but I have some friends looking for my S&W .45 and I will buy one when I find it, provided they are good guns. Tell me what you know about these guns, please....
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:06:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Three links, one to check your models, and two to check prices, that're invaluable:
www.smith-wesson.com and
www.gunbroker.com or www.gunsamerica.com

Just do a bit of searching, but yes, 4566 and 4563 are the current models depending on if you like aluminum (-63) or steel (-66) frames.

Based on my experiences with my personal 4046 and others' 5906's, I'd expect nothing different from a 4566 except good performance when maintained.  If you like your 5906, go for it.

If you want something REALLY trick, though, keep an eye open for a Performance Center 4" gun in two tone that had a special locking ring (gold color) in the slide bushing.  THAT particular gun, IIRC from the article, was a 1.5" gun at 25yds!!!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:27:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a decent collection of 4566 pistols. They are my favorite handguns. They're tough, reliable, corrosion resistant, and the list goes on.

Some folks don't like the weight of the all steel frame. Others don't like the double action trigger pull on the first shot. Then others don't like them because of 1990's politics.

I recommend buying one. I doubt you'll be disappointed.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:30:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Good gun, mags are easily found & affordable. With a little trigger tweaking, better springs, etc., they can turn into fine little shooters. Put a Bar-Sto or similiar barrel in one & they're damn fine guns, IMO.

My .o2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top