Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/4/2006 1:33:03 PM EDT
My father is deciding to purchase his first Handgun.
Just for plinking around.

He likes this one.  I have never shot this particular pistol.

anyone have ideas about this?

$295.00
5 1/2" BULL BARREL
10 SHOT 22 LONG RIFLE
BLUE FINISH
ADJUSTABLE TARGET SIGHTS
WOOD GRIPS.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:56:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Has no one ever shot these little Guys?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:24:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I would save some money and buy the basic model.  They go for about 200 around here.
I have a basic model with a 4" barrel.  I've had it for about 6 years.  Make sure you buy extra buffers.  They wear out about 2000 rounds. Other than that, they're good little guns.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:47:41 PM EDT
[#3]
What do you Mean by Extra Buffer?

How do they wear out at 2k rouunds?

2k isnt that many rounds.

My dad really likes the wooden grip.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:45:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I also have this gun in the basic model. With this pistol it is easy to change barrels. The shock buffer is just a simple piece of plastic on the end of the recoil spring. I dont think they cost more then a buck, but I havn't had to replace one yet so I can't be sure.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:12:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I sent you the IM back.  I included a link to the manual.  Sorry for not getting back to you sooner I forgot to tell you that it does come wit ha few extra buffers.  They're under the foam in the case.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:18:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought S&W 22A NIB about 6 months ago for $180 (not including the pictured Tasco ProPoint).  IMO, I would classify this gun/price as a 'best buy'.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/Catbird1/DSCN0090.jpg
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:27:12 AM EDT
[#7]
My friend has one.  I feel that the adjustable rear sights are kind of cheap looking, and it's definately not the most reliable .22 out there.  He has several misfeeds every time we go shooting, and he keeps his clean.

Although I'm a big S&W fan, I wanted a reliable .22 to go plinking with.  The only one I know of at a reasonable price is the Ruger MKII or MKIII.  Mine NEVER malfunctions.  I've had a Walther P22, and three Buckmarks.  None of them were reliable.  The Ruger is.

The Ruger is going to be a little more expensive than the S&W, but in this case, you get exactly what you pay for.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:41:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the basic model also, and used to have problems with jamming untill i switched ammo, now I'm not having any problems with any failures to feed.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:38:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Buy the Ruger, period.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:47:36 AM EDT
[#10]
I have one but it's a 22s version with the target (wooden) grips. I like it, very comfortable for me. I use it mostly for warming up for the .45. Some people have problems with them, some don't. I don't. I've had a few misfires but I blame it more on the round then the pistol. The round was definitly struck but failed to fire. I just reloaded them into the mag and bang. Zip on ejection or mag release. I have fired hundreds of bullets through it in one sitting and no probs. But like any 22, I like to use dri-lube than oil. I'll oil for long term storage. I always get less hassels that way
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:04:47 AM EDT
[#11]
ammo sensitive, some works fine, others jam every other round.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:04:31 AM EDT
[#12]
njensen1, does the "N" happen to stand for Nate??

I shot a S&W 22A quite a while ago.  I thought it was a decent pistol for the price, a good little plinker and fairly light weight.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:32:50 AM EDT
[#13]
good pistol bought mine from a friend for 100$. I wanted a 22 that would be easy to mount a reddot on. some hollow points jam because of where the notch is in the magazine. anyone know a good sorce for the buffers I need some?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:35:27 PM EDT
[#14]
If you want only factory buffers, then you will have to contact Smith & Wesson.

When I need a replacement, I'm going to try making my own.  There are a variety of materials around the house for me to try.  Just off the top of my head, I may try a small patch of rubber inner tube, a thin patch of scrap leather, a piece cut from an empty plastic oil container, etc., etc.  The possibilities are almost endless.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:26:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Browning Buckmark will be a better .22 semi. I own a S&W 41 & lots of S&W revolvers, so I have no axe to grind on S&W.

My .o2
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:29:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I have the same gun only stainless. Hanen't had any problems with it and it's more accurate than my friends Ruger MK II.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top