Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2006 12:50:59 PM EDT
might consider buying one of these pistols for a carry gun found a brand new one for $375  holds 15 rounds of 9mm!  

any thoughts or comments? should i buy it or is it just a cheap replica of a glock?

anything would be appretiated
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:26:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the .40 GVE, Its a great price for the gun, I bought mine for 275 which I think you are over 75 bucks for that. I gotten that in the gunshow in VA before i moved to MD.

If that is your first, thats would be a nice 9mm GVE fun gun to have at the range also can do Self. Defense.

make sure you get it under 300
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:53:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a 9GVE.  It is accurate and dependable.  They are going for $299. around here.  Trigger takes a bit of getting used to, but once you learn to pull through, you can easily hit what your shooting at.  No safety, decocker, or exposed hammer to worry about.  I trust the one I have completely, no problems in approx 1000 rounds.  Extra mags are a bit expensive, but they are well made of stainless steel, and seem to be of very high quality.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:38:30 AM EDT
[#3]
sounds good guys

i didnt know if that trigger would break in or loosen up i didnt like that

but thanks maybe go pick it up
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:59:14 PM EDT
[#4]
$375 is way too high, IMO.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:46:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Go down to Kittery... you can probably get it for a whole lot less that $375.00!
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:05:46 PM EDT
[#6]
ok thanks guys

i was just down to kittery looking at a RRA A4 they had i looked at the 1911's and the glocks but i just recently sparked some interest on the 9gve

i will call down there and see what they are going for and maybe make a trip

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:10:19 PM EDT
[#7]
also guys this is a brand new gun smith list them for $409!   were the ones you have seen new or used?

thank you
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:39:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought mine new for $308.00 OTD. (of course, that was in tax free NH!)
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:16:51 PM EDT
[#9]
A normal price for these is 329 and can be found for @299.

I have a 40VE with over 2000 rounds through it with no problems and would recommend it to anyone.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:31:05 PM EDT
[#10]
ok well maybe i should order one from down soubh up here in the sticks its harder to find any good deals

although i do have a glock dealer in the area who is sellin G23,G19, G26,G27for $498 NIB

but i guess i will have to do some research befor ei purchase the 9GVE  any way to tinker with that trigger i really dont like it maybe i just have to put up wit it but for some reason i gotta have one
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:35:20 AM EDT
[#11]
I've owned or been issued ten Sigmas, including an SW40F, 2-SW9F's, SW357V, SW40V, 2-SW40VE's, SW40G, SW9VE and SW9GVE.  Out of all of them, and a combined round count of tens of thousands of rounds, mostly my cast bullet reloads, I've experienced one, yes only ONE failure.  It was with my issued 1st Generation SW40F during qualification one time shooting factory Winchester ammo.  It failed to fully extract the fired round from the chamber.  Other than that, no malfunctions of any kind.

When the S&W Factory Store is running specials on Sigmas, you can buy a VE or GVE in your choice of 9mm or .40 for $279 plus 5% tax.  Most shops sell them for between $289-$329.  I saw one shop who had them priced at $349 and I laughed.  I believe dealer price is around $239 on them.  So, covering their overhead, insurance costs, etc, even at $329, it's a very fair price.  

Last time I was at Kittery, which was about a year ago, I was surprised at the prices there.  I hadn't been there since they renovated the gun area, but their prices seem to have gone up considerably since then.  I didn't understand when I saw new Sigmas for around $329, and used ones a few cases over, same model, etc, for $20 more!  No spare mags, holsters, nothing!

Anyway, there are some modifications you can do to the Sigma's trigger, but you are gambling with reliability when you do them.  Some people have decent luck with using a reduced power striker spring from Wolf, others experience misfires.  There is a trigger mod posted on the S&W Forum, but I HIGHLY recommend AGAINST it.  You are reverse engineering it back to a 1st Generation gun which will probably, at some point, have problems.  If you modify your Sigma in any way, never, EVER use it for CCW or home defense use.  It's nothing but a range/plinking toy after that which you cannot trust to fire when you may depend on it.

If you want a polymer S&W with a better trigger, get a new M&P.  If you want an economic S&W polymer pistol, get the Sigma, do a lot of dry fire practice at home, master the trigger, and find yourself more competant with any other handgun you pick up after that.  It's happened over and over again.  People get the Sigma with its heavy trigger pull, dry fire practice a LOT at home while concentrating the whole time on slow, steady trigger pulls keeping the sights aligned, and they find that they are better shots with ANY other handgun they pick up.

Let us know what you end up with.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:51:02 AM EDT
[#12]
hey thnks for the xcellen feedback

i realize the price issue's but i dont think i will beable to get it for $329 it is hard to find it, i mean i could order it but all FFL's around here charge $35 for the use of their ffl's anyway so buy the time i pay ffl charge and shipping and everything i might nise as well buy it locally you know

i LOOked at the M+P and like it but this GVE is just a cheaper gun i wanted to try and me and a bddy were gonna try them out  and see what we could do with them, basically it comes down to we saw a couple of them at the shop with od green frames and likes them alot so we gonna get them

i might bring myself to purchase a M+P sometime but right now i want to get into an AR and also a trick 1911 so the M+P will have to wait

also you seem to be a very knowlegable S+W guy whats your thoughts on the smith AR's?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:56:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

also you seem to be a very knowlegable S+W guy whats your thoughts on the smith AR's?

Are they even out on the market yet???????????
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:16:42 PM EDT
[#14]
i odnt believ they are but the owner of a local shop asked me if i wanted one so maybe they have sent a few out for the midlength model i was quoted  $1000 so im thinking about grabbin it even if i have to wait allittle bit

but im sure a few guys on here have had the chance to shoot one and i was wondering if it was a venture i should go on  this guy was tellin me all about them and said they would put a bushy to shame much better quality and metal so on

any thoughts
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:16:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Honestly, I have trouble believeing that the S&W is going to be of higher quality than a Bushmaster, RRA, or other quality AR.  It's not like they are making every part themselves.  They are buying most of the parts from suppliers and just assembling them.

For the novelty of having one, I'd like to pick up a S&W AR sometime.  If possible, I'd like to just buy the stripped lower, which I know they won't sell, and assemble it the way I want it to be, using quality parts that I could buy cheaper.  

If you want an AR, you should consider buying a stripped lower and assembling it yourself.  If you look for a used stock set on the EE here, a lower parts kit for around $55 and a complete upper, which you can also usually find used here.  Even if you go wtih a new upper, you can assemble an AR yourself, which is really easy to do, for anywhere from $150-200 or more cheaper than buying a complete gun.

Just something to think about.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:30:09 AM EDT
[#16]

I had a  SIGMA .40 VE   &  it was a complete  POS

I was shocked how unreliable it was, even after a trip back to the factory.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:18:34 AM EDT
[#17]
yaya i was thinking of building a parts gun but to me i am new to AR's and it wouldnt make any sense for me to build my own yet cause i have no idea what i would want or like  so therefore it would be smartest for me to buy  RRA and shoot it and take it apart and learn about them and then i will have some idea of what i might wan tto change or improve about it

thanks
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:41:48 AM EDT
[#18]
I had one, and really liked it but sold it to a friend cause I needed cash.

He has it now, and plans on getting his CHL with it.  We haven't found a holster for it though, can someone recommend a decent holster for CCW?

thanks.

-mark
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:54:14 PM EDT
[#19]
call up any high end holster maker, Milt Sparks,threat solutions, ray's gun leather anybody who makes holsters really usualy if they dont have one which is rare they will make you one
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:14:05 PM EDT
[#20]
i have a sw9ve and love it, don't know about anyone else but tried shooting the cheap cci blazer aluminum casing ammo and the casing would distort and get jammed in my barrel if i wouldn't rapid fire.  I switched to a brass casing and i've gone through 500 + rounds without one FTF or FTE.  and winchester brass rounds can be had for like 50cents more than blazer ammo.  Actually if you by the hundred round box it's a buck cheaper than two fifty round box of blazers.  If you're a CCI fan they do make Brass Blazers.  Again, it may be my gun but that's the experience I had.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top