Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/24/2005 5:57:58 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:52:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:10:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I have been told any J-frame with a "-" dash serial number is safe for +P. IOW, a 442-1, a 640-2, etc. etc.

Regardless, I wouldn't shoot a lot of +P thru my J-frame. Only maybe 2-3 20rd boxes a year. The vast majority of the time I shoot WC ammo for the lighter recoil.

My .o2
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:34:50 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm in the market for a used J Frame bodyguard and was wondering if anyone knows, or could point me to a resource, that would have information relating to when (date or ser # range) S&W started rating J frames for +P ammo?

The +P rating is stamped on the left side of the barrel for those guns. Otherwise, it's just .38 S&W SPL.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:57:31 AM EDT
[#4]
S&W specifically started okaying guns for +P use when they introduced the larger J-magnum frame in the '90s. Before then, folks who used +P loads sparingly seemed to do all right. Look at the monsters that Elmer Keith used to stuff in his ancient Chiefs Special. . . .

Supica & Nahas' Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson goes into this, and it comes up a lot on the S&W Forums.  But ikor is right, you should go to the horse's mouth and just email S&W if you want the official word.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:22:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I carried +p in my old 37 airwieght   just didnt shot them alot!

I wish they still made the old AW

My 637-1 seems heavier compared to the older model
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:43:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I wish they still made the old AW

The modern air weights are ten times better than the older models. Stronger, more accurate & smoother actions.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:56:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't have the proper answer but I don't get to shoot much hot ammo through my Air light 340 J-frame.  The recoils bases the frame against your palm and after about 50 rounds you're ready to go home.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top