Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/9/2005 8:05:29 AM EDT
I'm thinking about getting one of these.  I found a good deal on one with some high cap. mags.  I know it's a good deal, but I don't have any experience with a Smith auto pistol.  I only have 1911s, and the only other Smith I have is a Airweight .38.  

Can you please share with me some experiences good or bad.  Thank you,

DBAR
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 8:26:06 AM EDT
[#1]
3rd Generation autos (like the 5906 you are looking at), their Sigma line and their newer TSW and "Value Line" series autos simply work.  I've heard some bad experiences with the old S&W autos, but those days are long gone.

I've owned two 5906's, one newer one with an adjustable sight and rounded trigger guard, and an older, fixed sighted, square trigger guarded version.  Both were completely reliable with any FMJ, JHP and mostly cast bullet reloads that I shot in them.  

I would still own them both today if I didn't move on to mostly DAO S&W's.  Also, the 5906 is a HEAVY pistol.  I found a like new 5943 (same size, aluminum frame, DAO) and liked that one better.  But, the 5906 is like shooting a .22 with the low recoil of the 9mm and the weight of the pistol.

Out of all the S&W autos I've owned, 2-5906's, 2-3913's, 2-6906's, 3954, 3953, 2-645's, 2-4506's, 457, SW40F, SW40V, SW40VE, SW40G, 2-SW9F's, SW9VE and SW9GVE, I've had exactly ONE malfunction, and that was in the 1st Generation SW40F that I had over 8000 trouble free rounds through.  One of my 645's stopped ejecting one time, but it was a broken extractor.  S&W fixed it for free, and it's been trouble free since.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 2:08:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had similar experience with all the S&W autos I've owned (5906, 3906, 3913, 3914, 3953, 1006, 1076, 6906)  Never a failure of any kind.  

The 5906 will run and run and run.  

It's a heavy gun, as it's all stainless, but that drops recoil to just about zero.  Mags are everywhere, and fairly cheap, and factory S&W mags are very well built.

Alot of people don't like them because they were DA and have the slide mounted hammer drop/safety.  Back when the only autos you could buy new in the USA were Colt GMs and S&W 39/59, the S&W's were everything the Colt wasn't.  9mm, DA, slide mounted switch, etc.  Needless to say, anything that is different than the GM was in for a bashing.  

Price on the 5906 is great on the used market.  The thrid gen S&W autos are probably the best buy out there right now.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 2:20:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 3:04:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Used third gen Smiths are about the best deal on the market right now, and have been for some time.  Owned Smiths for years, still have two (39-2 and a 5646).  Both one hundred percent reliable.  

Typically will be as accurate or better than most.  Trigger should be at least acceptable and can be quite good.  Mags cheap.  Used leather cheap and common at least around here.  The all steel models can be a bit heavy for ccw use but recoil is virtually nil.  

They're not the "in" gun and haven't been for several years.  But they work.  Keep it clean.  Keep it lightly oiled (nothing special, plain gun oil is just fine), use good quality mags and ammo and it will do anything required of it.

Link Posted: 12/9/2005 3:50:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Smith automatics are very under rated weapons that have always given me good performance.

+1, very under rated indeed.  They go for a great price used and will serve you well.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 5:06:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks to everyone who has replied.  You all helped a great deal.  Sometimes I find a good deal, and I just had to make sure it wasn't one of those "to good to be true" deals.

Thanks,
DBAR
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 8:01:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I gotta give a +1 to the underrated comment and a +1 to the ultra reliable....I have a 4506 and would definitely trust it with my life.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 8:47:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I gotta give a +1 to the underrated comment and a +1 to the ultra reliable....I have a 4506 and would definitely trust it with my life.

I agree.  All 4 of my smiths are reliable.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:38:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I got mine yesterday from SummitGunBroker and it needed just a little "TLC" to start out with.  I'm sure it would of functioned just fine the way that it was, but I had to take it all apart, clean and inspect.  I put all back together and went to the range.  I had a blast.  I shot tight groups, and trigger reset was quick (short).  I could shot this gun faster than any of my other pistols.  I think there are 2 reasons for this, #1 it's a 9mm, and it's a heavey pistol so recoil was light, and #2 the trigger reset was quick.  I got a good deal, and as some of you posted.  I think this gun is a little under rated.  There are a few edges that I plan on smooth out around the trigger guard, but other than that, it's good to go.

Quick snap shot for you people.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:22:24 AM EDT
[#10]
I owned one for years and found out several things.

1. It will almsot always work no matter what crappy ammo you feed it
2. It is fairly accurate
3. The ergonomics of the pistol did not work for me.

It is a rock solid pistol that is hard to break and works 99.9% of the time.  Like Glocks, the ergonomics of the setup and the slide safety didn't work for me so now I am a XD, 1911 kind of guy.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:55:00 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I owned one for years and found out several things.

1. It will almsot always work no matter what crappy ammo you feed it
2. It is fairly accurate
3. The ergonomics of the pistol did not work for me.

It is a rock solid pistol that is hard to break and works 99.9% of the time.  Like Glocks, the ergonomics of the setup and the slide safety didn't work for me so now I am a XD, 1911 kind of guy.

I own 2 1911s, and they are my first choice.  This was a good deal on a good gun in 9mm.  Since I didn't have a 9mm it seemed the logical thing to do, plus I like the fact that there are 15 to 16 rnds available vs. 8 to 9.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:17:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I've had one for years. Great pistol.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:29:39 PM EDT
[#13]
DBAR- Mark at Summit Gun Broker is THE best person to deal with for used pistols on the web.  I posted a WTT ad on another forum, looking for a 4043.  Someone recommended him to me, and I got a 4043 what was WAY better than I expected.

I hope I can do business with him again soon.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:45:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I have 2 of them . Again Very underated . I have fired Glocks and will stick with My S& W .
Good luck .
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:10:42 AM EDT
[#15]
i've had mine for years and used it for my conceal carry when i lived in Texas.

been rather pleased with it for that purpose and the range.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:24:31 AM EDT
[#16]
One of the best out there!

My 6906 shoots tighter groups dont know why but it does
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:52:09 AM EDT
[#17]
I got two of them too.  Awesome pistols.  Yes, they are heavy but man can they shoot!
Very underrated guns in my opinion.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top