Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 12:53:19 PM EDT
[#1]
This is tough to say.

Until fairly recently most of the 9mm ones were an absolute bargain for the build quality and with mags that still were fairly easy and inexpensive to obtain.
They now seem priced at if not more than many DA/SA new metal guns or new striker polymer guns.

The 40s were a huge bargain for a window a few years back, but I have not seen one in a while.

The 45s have gone up a ton,
And the 10s even more.
And you can’t just order 40$ magazines for them from S&W like you could a decade ago.

They all seem to have become sought after/collector type guns and not any of the lines in bargain shooter pricing any more.

Link Posted: 1/25/2022 8:14:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is tough to say.

Until fairly recently most of the 9mm ones were an absolute bargain for the build quality and with mags that still were fairly easy and inexpensive to obtain.
They now seem priced at if not more than many DA/SA new metal guns or new striker polymer guns.

The 40s were a huge bargain for a window a few years back, but I have not seen one in a while.

The 45s have gone up a ton,
And the 10s even more.
And you can’t just order 40$ magazines for them from S&W like you could a decade ago.

They all seem to have become sought after/collector type guns and not any of the lines in bargain shooter pricing any more.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/uu220/ramairfour/Mobile%20Uploads/.highres/AC355623-AE1F-4827-8697-9F7C7E6B163F_zpssrivzb51.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/uu220/ramairfour/photo30_zps282265e4.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

View Quote

Sadly you’re correct. I got my 4506 about 4 years ago and have not been able to find any more OEM mags for it. And I foolishly passed on a trade in 6906 at a great price a couple years ago.

I kick myself for not grabbing everyone I could when they were available. I highly doubt we’ll see AIM or any other retailer selling trade in 3rd Gens ever again. Which means to expand my collection, I’ll be paying top dollar on the secondary market.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 11:55:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Inspired by this thread and my general obsession lately with S&W 3rd Gens, I’m going to start using my 4506 as my winter concealed carry gun. Yes the gun is gigantic. But I have a good quality leather OWB holster for it and it’ll conceal fine under a light jacket or sweatshirt.

Plus, if I run out of ammo, I can beat my assailants to death with it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 10:28:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Inspired by this thread and my general obsession lately with S&W 3rd Gens, I’m going to start using my 4506 as my winter concealed carry gun. Yes the gun is gigantic. But I have a good quality leather OWB holster for it and it’ll conceal fine under a light jacket or sweatshirt.
View Quote

I get inspired like that too during the winter months, and get out the 1006 or sometimes my old reliable 645.

You feel the weight of an all-steel Old School DA/SA blaster. The light reflects off that gleaming five-inches of slide.

Then the inspiration fades ....

And I reach for my Glock 19.

Link Posted: 1/28/2022 6:41:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I get inspired like that too during the winter months, and get out the 1006 or sometimes my old reliable 645.

You feel the weight of an all-steel Old School DA/SA blaster. The light reflects off that gleaming five-inches of slide.

View Quote

That’s fair, but I’m still going to attempt it. It’s just such a gorgeous and great shooting gun, it can’t be relegated to the safe forever.

I’m about to trade into a S&W 6906, I may actually get an IWB holster for that one, if I can find one.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 11:07:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That’s fair, but I’m still going to attempt it. It’s just such a gorgeous and great shooting gun, it can’t be relegated to the safe forever.

I’m about to trade into a S&W 6906, I may actually get an IWB holster for that one, if I can find one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a 6906, an ex-Corrections gun.

Little fired at the time I came into it. But POI was consistently low, and the first-shot DA pull sucked major Moose-dingle.

Corrected the first issue with a lower frt sight from my old S&W parts stash; corrected the second with a 3-pak of Wolff (hammer) mainsprings. These reduce the pull-weight of the DA stroke without making the SA hammer drop too light to ignite the primer. Just select the spring that makes the DA pull feel best for you.

Now the POA with the fixed Novaks = POI, and this 6906 is easily the most accurate 9mm I've ever shot. It also makes for a great concealed EDC piece. It's small enough to work AIWB with the right holster/belt combo.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 12:45:16 PM EDT
[#7]
5944 and 6944 I carried on duty as a POST cert reserve while working for the F.D.

I prefer blued/Black sidearms and the LW aluminum frames. Never a problem other than dead NS replacements.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 10:38:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Little fired at the time I came into it. But POI was consistently low, and the first-shot DA pull sucked major Moose-dingle.

Corrected the first issue with a lower frt sight from my old S&W parts stash; corrected the second with a 3-pak of Wolff (hammer) mainsprings. These reduce the pull-weight of the DA stroke without making the SA hammer drop too light to ignite the primer. Just select the spring that makes the DA pull feel best for you.

Now the POA with the fixed Novaks = POI, and this 6906 is easily the most accurate 9mm I've ever shot. It also makes for a great concealed EDC piece. It's small enough to work AIWB with the right holster/belt combo.
View Quote

Very nice! What holster are you using? Doesn’t seem like there’s many options nowadays, I’m thinking I’ll be stuck going with a custom kydex one.

@Nick_Adams
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 10:52:35 PM EDT
[#9]

I purchased three of them that were former Brownsville P.D. (Texas Rio Grande Valley) for about $300 decades ago.   I foolishly sold them off in moments of weakness & kick myself that I ever did anything that foolish & stupid!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 11:55:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Very nice! What holster are you using? Doesn’t seem like there’s many options nowadays, I’m thinking I’ll be stuck going with a custom kydex one.

@Nick_Adams
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Nick_Adams

The AIWB rig is one I bought for a G19 way back (forgot the make), but the 6906 happen to fit.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 12:41:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The AIWB rig is one I bought for a G19 way back (forgot the make), but the 6906 happen to fit.
View Quote

Interesting, I wouldn’t have guessed that. I’ve been keeping an eye on Gunbroker for good deals on a 6906, 5906, 4006, or 4516. Not a lot of options. Seems like everyone who owns these must be hanging onto them.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 11:12:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Interesting, I wouldn’t have guessed that. I’ve been keeping an eye on Gunbroker for good deals on a 6906, 5906, 4006, or 4516. Not a lot of options. Seems like everyone who owns these must be hanging onto them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's certainly true for the 6906s. The factory 12-rd mags are shit-hard to find, unless there's some extra mags that come with a particular gun. But then that jacks the price proportionally on the gun.

I scored mine for a stoopid low price back in 2018, but even then the mags were super scarce. Mine came with the original box, 3 factory mags, and both the original derilin mono-grip and aftermarket Hogue grips. Never could find any other decent-condition factory mags that weren't  approaching $80.00 per.

But again, that was all pre-election panic and pre-pandemic.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 11:30:39 AM EDT
[#13]
5903TSW

or a 5926
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 9:06:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Which later 3rd Gen models have an accessory rail? I know the 4006TSW, but which others if any?
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 10:19:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Which later 3rd Gen models have an accessory rail? I know the 4006TSW, but which others if any?
View Quote

The TSW models of many calibers

Link Posted: 2/5/2022 8:11:29 AM EDT
[#16]
I just recently added this first iteration 4013, I'm thinking about making it a 1013.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 3:34:29 PM EDT
[#17]
My only 3rd Gen, a 5904 like I carried on duty.  I still have my 39-2 and a 439.

Link Posted: 2/6/2022 11:03:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My only 3rd Gen, a 5904 like I carried on duty.  I still have my 39-2 and a 439.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49839976681_aee8985311_c.jpg
View Quote
That is my favorite version with the adjustable sights. I've got a 5904 with fixed sights but have always wanted one with adjustable sights, or better yet a 5905 with adjustable sights.

eta- Closest I got is a 559 with adjustable sights

Link Posted: 4/24/2022 9:11:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Currently my only one is a 5906.  Bought it before I was 21 cause it’s what my Dad carried as a LEO back in the day and I didn’t want a G22 like he had ended his career with ??

It’s nice for new shooters especially but really doesn’t do anything for me anymore.  Would have gotten a 3913 if I was in the same spot today.

Selling a G43 locally this weekend and there is a guy on a local board with a 3913 TSW that he just dropped the price on so I may have one I’ve always wanted.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 5:55:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

They CA Highway patrol model in .40 is only one I know with a built in rail.  The rest had the add on plate.

I need to get a 5906, been on the to do list for a decade but never came across one in the config I want for a good price.  Might just have to get one off gunbroker before prices go up anymore.

Not sure why mags on many models are so hard to find.  Its a 20 plus year old pistol that is becoming a collector item, you don't need 10 mags for the zombie apocalypse.

Only 3rd gen I have now is a TSW .45 acp model that was LE trade in, got it from Kings for under $400.  Has a fair amount of holster wear but a great shooter.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 6:26:48 PM EDT
[#21]
It's threads like these that get me into trouble. After saying I missed my 6906 I had, I found one at a local store and had to get it. It's in excellent shape but I have yet to fire it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 8:19:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

They CA Highway patrol model in .40 is only one I know with a built in rail.  The rest had the add on plate.

I need to get a 5906, been on the to do list for a decade but never came across one in the config I want for a good price.  Might just have to get one off gunbroker before prices go up anymore.

Not sure why mags on many models are so hard to find.  Its a 20 plus year old pistol that is becoming a collector item, you don't need 10 mags for the zombie apocalypse.

Only 3rd gen I have now is a TSW .45 acp model that was LE trade in, got it from Kings for under $400.  Has a fair amount of holster wear but a great shooter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The West Virginia State Police had a run of 4566TSW’s with built in rails.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 7:27:01 PM EDT
[#23]
I blame you guys

Just picked up this practically new 3913TSW

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

And just for fun
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 11:14:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Sweet jcast141.
I have been wanting to get a 3913.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 1:24:44 PM EDT
[#25]
I had a couple 3913 pistols, a Lady Smith and standard and loved the way they felt and shot. My wife claimed the Lady Smith.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 7:25:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The West Virginia State Police had a run of 4566TSW’s with built in rails.
View Quote

cool, good to know, those seem much rarer to find than California ones...  California State Police probably 5 to 10x larger than WV.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 1:39:07 PM EDT
[#27]
If only one?  Then either a 5906 for standard carry and protection, or a 645 for the Miami Vice cool factor.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 10:18:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If only one?  Then either a 5906 for standard carry and protection, or a 645 for the Miami Vice cool factor.
View Quote

The model 645 does get you points for the Miami Vice cool factor; however, the 645 is a 2nd Gen gun, not a 3rd Gen gun as specified by the O.P.

On the last season of M.V., Crockett was ‘upgraded’ to the then-new 3rd Gen model 4506, an improved 645.

If M.V. had continue beyond that, Crockett may well have been further upgraded to the model 4506-1, ... or even better, to the most awesome 10mm model 1006.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 11:46:57 PM EDT
[#29]
My 6906 is definitely one of my favorites.

Link Posted: 6/13/2022 11:51:02 PM EDT
[#30]
5926 or 4526.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top