Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2017 11:46:06 AM EDT
So my 9mm shield is on its way back to s&w to be fixed. The take down lever spring, which normally resides in a slot in the locking block became dislodged during the firing of the  last round in the mag and bound up the slide. It provided a fair bit of resistance to even work the slide and ultimately to remove it from the frame.

I have no doubt s&w will fix this on their dime and based on a quick google search this issue appears to be some what common.

I'm curious to see if anyone here has experienced this issue, had it corrected, and then had it ultimately reoccur?

Given that I often carry this pistol, the potential for reoccurrence is weighing on my mind.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 4:45:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Aside from the ungodly effort to use the slide release, mine have both shot great.

I don't think it humanly possible to use the thumb release with just one thumb...

My three fullsized M&P 9s are opposite.  

If I slam a fresh magazine home, they release and close nearly every time...  Supposed to be that way on the Full Sized?
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 9:26:59 AM EDT
[#2]
My slide release is terribly tight as well. I'm pretty much forced to come over the top on reloads as opposed to using the slide release.

I've experienced the same as you on fullsized M&Ps. Only ever had that happen to me a few times with glocks.

How many rounds do you have through your shield?  I only made it about 300 before my issue.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 12:10:10 AM EDT
[#3]
My Shield the release is impossible to use one handed, my FS 40 is very very easy and will go home when you insert a mag but lots of well used pistols will.

Got well over 1k through mine its a great gun. Never malfunctioned.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 9:27:14 AM EDT
[#4]
My take down pin broke while shooting and had them send me a new one under warranty and no issue sense.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 1:39:56 AM EDT
[#5]
shield 45 same with the slide release

Link Posted: 11/2/2017 2:21:30 AM EDT
[#6]
It's more of a slide catch, not a slide release. Sling shot the slide fellas. Also shoot them more and break it in and it becomes a lot easier to use as a slide release.

First time I've heard of a Sheild breaking, they are very durable from what I've seen. But I have seen Glock's put out lemons here and there. These things happen. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top