Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2017 8:47:03 PM EDT
Hey everyone brought this Smith home today. Did a little research before buying but would still like to know more. From the Smith forum I think this one was made around the end of '41. My ffl thinks it may have been a lend lease model. It does have the Birmingham BNP marks, but it doesn't have the property of US Govt mark on the top. It seems to be in great shape overall. Mostly curious about what to shoot through it. The side of the barrel has 38 S&W Ctg, but the underside has 38 special. We inserted a 38 special when I initially looked at it, and it did fit.

Link Posted: 10/6/2017 10:46:43 PM EDT
[#1]
It appears to have been reblued.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 11:15:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Only thing I can tell you is that Oh man that this is gorgeous.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 11:33:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
My ffl thought it may have been, but I found this info on the Smith forum. Any way to know for sure if it has been?
1941 – On February 27, 1941, production of the M&P revolver chambered in caliber .38 S&W Special resumed for civilian sale at a SN in the (approximate) 730000-740000 range, in addition to continuation of .38/200 revolver military production for Great Britain. Serial numbers reached (approximately) 890000 at year-end 1941. M&P revolvers chambered in both .38 S&W and .38 S&W Special were serial numbered in the same series throughout WWII. Until December 4, 1941, all (or most) production continued to use S&W's high polish Carbonia "Bright Blue" finish, which was then changed to a brush-blued hot dip black oxide finish (Black Magic, a commercial metal finishing method) until March 4 or April 10, 1942 (date unclear), at (approximately) SN 940000, when sandblasting began prior to Black Magic finish application.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 11:52:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Only thing I can tell you is that Oh man that this is gorgeous.
View Quote
Thanks. Yeah, I couldn't pass it up. He picked it up at an estate sale and showed it to me when I was picking up some rifles from him.

He did that to me again today, so I'll be taking another pistol home from him next week.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 11:54:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

My ffl thought it may have been, but I found this info on the Smith forum. Any way to know for sure if it has been?
View Quote
It's hard to say. It appears that way to me because of the washed out lettering on the barrel. You can really see it in your third picture. It looks like it was hit with a buffer with too low of a grit compound, or for too long. I'm not saying it's not possible that the factory did it, it's just not something I've seen. Smith revolver lettering is normally left nice and crisp.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 12:12:44 AM EDT
[#6]
My Grandfather was a Detroit PD detective back in the day and had one similar.  My older brother has it.  I will ask him for pics and info.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 12:15:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It's hard to say. It appears that way to me because of the washed out lettering on the barrel. You can really see it in your third picture. It looks like it was hit with a buffer with too low of a grit compound, or for too long. I'm not saying it's not possible that the factory did it, it's just not something I've seen. Smith revolver lettering is normally left nice and crisp.
View Quote
Ah, okay. That makes sense, and he was thinking the same because of the side plate. The S&W logo isn't really deap either.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:17:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:26:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Maybe this is silly, but contact S&W.  They can give you some pretty good info regarding how it left the factory and where it went.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:26:31 AM EDT
[#10]
A lot of the 38 S&W guns got rechambered to 38 Special in the 50's.  Which is not usually a good thing.  The S&W cartridge is tapered , the Special is straight sided.  The base of the S&W is slightly wider than the Special and bulged cases were not unknown.  

I second the reblue.  Also the grips don't look original either.

I collect Model Tens and am always looking for similar pistols.  In my experience the British Victory Models have always been beat to within an inch of their life.  Most went thru a rebuild process that gave them a black paint like finish.  If yours is original it is far and away the best British Victory I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 2:32:27 PM EDT
[#11]
A pre victory what is referred t as a BSR ( British service revolver sold to Britain prior to the entry of the United States into WWII. If bored out to special as was mentioned you could still shoot 38 S&W in it. ( if you don’t reload much harder to find and usually more expensive than special) if you stuck to
Light special loads like target wadcutters you will be fine, but expect swollen and in many cases, split cases from the oversized chambers. Likely reblued in the past but I can not say this 100%.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:48:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Shouldn't the British proofs show, at a minimum, finish distortion, if not being bright?  My experience with these is minimal, but would the proofs normally have been finished-over?
View Quote
Correct. Now that I'm in front of my computer really looking this gun over, I'm positive it's a reblue, and I can note a few more things.

You saying that made me think about the .38 special marking as well. As noted, that gun was not originally .38 special. So whenever the barrel was stamped .38 special, it had to be reblued over because the inside of the stamping is blued.

You can shoot .38S&W or special out of your gun, but it won't likely do either particularly well. Expect spent cases to be in poor condition and accuracy to be below standard.

I'm curious what happened to the US Government property markings on the topstrap. Sometimes markings are wiped out on a buffing wheel, but that would be a lot of material to remove. I'm curious what that looks like up close. The finish does appear to have been done on a buffer, and I don't think the grips are original. The hammer and trigger are probably unaltered.

It's a nice gun, and still has plenty of character. I don't want to rag on it, just passing along some information.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:15:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Maybe this is silly, but contact S&W.  They can give you some pretty good info regarding how it left the factory and where it went.
View Quote
Going to do that this week. Found the link to request info through there historical foundation.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:34:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Correct. Now that I'm in front of my computer really looking this gun over, I'm positive it's a reblue, and I can note a few more things.

You saying that made me think about the .38 special marking as well. As noted, that gun was not originally .38 special. So whenever the barrel was stamped .38 special, it had to be reblued over because the inside of the stamping is blued.

You can shoot .38S&W or special out of your gun, but it won't likely do either particularly well. Expect spent cases to be in poor condition and accuracy to be below standard.

I'm curious what happened to the US Government property markings on the topstrap. Sometimes markings are wiped out on a buffing wheel, but that would be a lot of material to remove. I'm curious what that looks like up close. The finish does appear to have been done on a buffer, and I don't think the grips are original. The hammer and trigger are probably unaltered.

It's a nice gun, and still has plenty of character. I don't want to rag on it, just passing along some information.
View Quote
Here is the top. I did notice that the grips aren't the same as most of the pictures out there. Really don't know anything about these, just saw a good looking pistol and decided to bring it home. I'll update when I hear back from submitting the serial.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:52:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top