Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2017 8:43:39 PM EDT
I purchased a shield 9mm and removed the slide according to the manual. When I was putting the slide back on it is in the rails properly the slide was pulled  was all the to the rear and I moved the takedown lever ccw back to its neutral position. Now the slide is stuck about a half inch back, I can't move it in either direction, the take down lever is kind of loose feeling like there is no pressure on it but it will not rotate down. I can't get  any movement of the slide at all, I have used alot of pressure that should do something but it will  not move at all. I have tried moving the sear lever up or down but it makes no difference. I wanted to ask rather than break something. HELP  Thank you.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 10:19:54 PM EDT
[#1]
have you look on you tube for a video solution to your problem?
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 1:06:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Put it on it's side and whack it with a rubber mallet.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 4:54:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Which side and how hard????

I found this but my slide is not moving at all and so far this is not working for me.
>>>>>

First point of understanding is pulling the trigger has nothing to do with solving this problem. When the slide is placed on the frame and slid rearward, what captures the slide on the frame is the striker arm engaging the back surface of the sear; that's why the final step in removing the slide is to either pull the trigger / push down on the sear deactivation lever......both maneuvers liberate the striker arm from the sear, allowing the slide to move off the frame completely.

Second, you must understand the design of the take down lever, when it is rotated fully vertical externally, then its engagement surface internally is completely horizontal. By completely vertical, I mean examine your take down lever and you will see a little notch on its forward surface.....the purpose of that notch is to allow the take down lever to get completely vertical ! The roll pin securing the locking block is in the way without the notch. So, you can see that if the take down lever is not perfectly vertical, then internally you are setting up what I call locking block "no-man's land"......this is the gap ( ~ 1/2" as one poster described it) wherein the rear part of your guide rod is now trapped (as is the barrel, it's just along for the ride since it is what holding the guide rod stable to begin with) between the immovable forward edge of the locking block and the internal round surface of the take down lever...since the guide rod is obviously spring loaded, it is a lot of tension to overcome to extricate the guide rod from "no-man's land". Some variation of toggling the take down lever and gently rocking the slide is the SOLUTION. Once you liberate the guide rod, you will always have to pull the trigger / push the sear deactivation lever - only ONCE !
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 9:11:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Got it back together. Push the gun forward really hard with a piece of wood that is only in contact with the guide rod. Actually the rubber hammer would work but you need to tap the guide rod towards the rear of the gun.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 3:18:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Now I have another reason to stick with a box stock 1911A1.  No tools needed for field stripping or reassembly.

I can still take one down and put it back together blind folded.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 3:24:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Your sear is probably blocking the frame. On M&P’s you can simply lower the sear bar instead of pulling the trigger to get the sear to drop. Once the sear is disengaged you should be able to jiggle it a bit until the slide goes back all the way, or will slide forward.

Make sure your slide release lever is vertical, or make it vertical, and remove the slide. Then start over with the re-assembling.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top