Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2017 3:41:58 AM EDT
I am going to be purchasing my first 44 magnum shortly, i have settled on the model 69 4.25 inch barrel as what I want.

I have some questions.

As combat magnums I understand they were designed and built for constant 44 magnum use. Are you guys seeing any issues on yours?

Grips, I like the look of vz grips, but I hear they are painful with full house magnums.

Sights,  any replacement sights you recommend?

Speedloaders, what works best for you?

Holsters, what do you like?

Ammunition, what shoots best out of your 69?
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 9:33:37 PM EDT
[#1]
My 69 is brutal with factory 240 grain loads.

Handloads using a 240 grain cast bullet over 8.0 grs. of Hodgdon Unique powder are great for most uses.  Once you wrap your head around the reality that 44 Special level loads are much more pleasant to shoot...perhaps you should also consider the Ruger GP100 with 5 inch barrel chambered for just the 44 Special.

I have both, and the 69 fills a role as a hunting backup in bear country.  The GP100 gets the most range time use.  HTH.

Paladin

eta:
Hogue makes a "Compac" model for S&W k/l frame round butts.  the factory grips work for me.

The S&W white outline rear and red front insert are ok, but my eyes prefer plain black sights like the GP100 comes with.

The HKS CA44 model speedloader DOES NOT WORK.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 2:50:09 PM EDT
[#2]
the X frame grip off the S&W 500 helps a ton to tame the recoil of my 329 night guard in 44 magnum.   Since the X frame has the same grip size as a K frame, it should be an easy fit.  It had to be stretched a bit to fit the N frame.

the X frame grips seem to only be available from S&W directly.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 6:46:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I simply don't like the feel of Ruger revolvers. Recoil I am not all that concerned with as I can buy 44 special or cowboy action loads. I don't reload so that's no concern.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 5:16:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the 2.75" model. Love it.

Holster - Anything that fits an L frame will fit the 69. Find one you like with the proper barrel length and go. There are probably hundreds available.

Sights - Same story, find something you like for an L frame with pin on front.

Speed Loader - Not sure, haven't purchased any to try.

Grips - I like the stock ones fine. Considered getting some nice wood ones from Altamont, but only if I were going to strictly carry 44 Special.

Ammo - I load my own. Favorite hand cannon magnum load so far is 210 grain Speer Gold Dot with 22.3 grains of 2400. They make a similar factory load if you feel so inclined.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top