User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2017 11:48:29 AM EDT
A friend is offering up this revolver to me:

S&W model 15-3

Serial # 18K4211

F23  on the inside of the crane

4" barrel, checkered walnut

Decent shape but normal wear and tear, though the cylinder takes more effort to open than it should.  

Ideas on value?
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 12:24:49 PM EDT
[#1]
On a S&W effort to open cylinder is usually the result of gummy oil and old lube.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 12:48:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Crane area assembly numbers are meaningless. The serial number puts it in the late 70's early 80's
Another common reason for sticky opeing is a loose ejector rod. Keep in mind they are reverse threaded.
Probably if in otherwise great shape a $600 or so gun
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 12:53:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I did check the ejector rod right away, it's tight.  I would call it "decent/good" condition, but a bit dirty or neglected.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 4:28:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Probably gummed up old lube then. The first thing I do when I get a new to me S&W revolver is take off the grips and leave it overnight in a bucket of Ed's Red homemade solvent/lube. If it is still "sticky" in function I will do a detail strip, clean and lube before reassembling. Those 4inch barreled K frames are my favorite revolvers, which is why I collect Model 19's, Model 18's and the older non model marked versions.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 7:40:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Good info, guys, thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top