Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2017 7:05:06 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 7:20:51 PM EDT
[#1]

There should be a "c" before the number yes?  (Serial number is on the butt, not the crane). 
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 7:48:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 9:59:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 10:25:01 PM EDT
[#4]
That is not a model 10, it is a late prewar hand ejector 1905 4th change.   the serial number puts it between 19436-1942, when they stopped making them.  

This gun was superseded by the victory (has a "v" before serial #), which was superseded by the "pre 10" that became the "Md 10" in 1957.  (Both pre 10 and 10 have "c" prior to serial #)

The stamp on the left side is probably not from the factory, but you could always write to S&W to get a letter ($50), and ask specifically about it.....  I think

it looks like a military unit patch that was started and never finished, or maybe a police Dept/retirement/etc idea.  The original guns did not have a stamp in this area, it was on the removeable side plate.    

All of the numbers in the crane/yoke area are assy numbers (not tracked by S&W, they were simply used in construction of the guns), or put there by the later users.   S&W only started using "Md xx" in 1957.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 10:39:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Probably a reimported bsr ( British service revolver) as indicated by the 38 S&W ( not 38 special) barrel caliber designation. The serial number portion we can see is stamped very much NOT in typical S&W fashion
Does the serial number on the underside of the barrel match the butt number?
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 10:41:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 10:42:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 11:23:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thank you for the information.

I thought the open stamp was interesting and saw a decent opportunity to add to my old revolver collection.

Any idea on value? The trigger texture has been modified so I need to get a replacement one for it for sure. I want it to be as close to original as possible.
View Quote
No prob, I also like the open stamp.....    lends a little mystery!  

It could be a lend/lease gun, as the numbers are right (between SN 700K & 1000K -some- guns were shipped over), but those typically did not have the S&W emblem, had a swivel for a lanyard on the butt, and had plain stocks.  

A good thing would be to gently remove the stocks (tap, do not pry) and look for the serial number.... it may be very light in pencil, but if it matches, chances of a civilian gun are much higher (although NOTHING is certain with S&W).

If it will fit 38 special it has been reamed out from 38/200, or it was an original 38 special gun.  

You can look at the cylinder and barrel for additional proof marks, the brits stamped the ever loving crap out of all the ones I have seen

(I have a brit/canuk gun at the moment that is stamped barrel, frame, and EACH cylinder hole ). 

I would not fool with the trigger.  It will always be worth more as original as you can keep it, so unless it is unsafely modified, or you have a source of pre war S&W parts (in which case, you should call me immediately ), I would just leave it as is.  

It is a very cool revolver, and I bet it will shoot great!   The older S&W guns were really well made.....       

below are the bluebook quotes, they are typically low, but give you a rough "bottom dollar". FYI, I and many other S&W collectors will grab up anything at the book price, so be generous to yourself with value.  
Grading100%98%95%90%80%70%60%50%40%30%20%10%
N/A$1,125$900$850$700$600$500$400$325$250$225$175
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 10:20:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top