Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2017 6:07:27 PM EDT
I don't own either, but I am looking to grab two 9mm M&Ps.  I noticed Cabelas had the original on sale for 299.00.  Is the 2.0 that much better I should get that instead of the original for which seems like a steal of a price?  I normally shoot Glocks, but my multiple Shields and Bodyguard have me wanting a full size.  Thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:36:01 PM EDT
[#1]
A new one for $300!?  I'd buy it.  Can always stipple the grip, or get a 2.0 backstrap later.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:51:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A new one for $300!?  I'd buy it.  Can always stipple the grip, or get a 2.0 backstrap later.
View Quote
Right here
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Smith-Wesson-M-P-Semiautomatic-Pistols/706481.uts
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:52:37 PM EDT
[#3]
The 2.0 feels like sand paper in your hand and has a better trigger but for $300 it's not that much of a better trigger.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:26:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The 2.0 feels like sand paper in your hand and has a better trigger but for $300 it's not that much of a better trigger.
View Quote
Agreed, yet it also brings an extended metal chassis almost all the way to the tip of the frame, for added strength.

The serrations at the end of the slide, meh, more a "cool" factor than anything else imho.

Altogether, worth $300 additional bucks? Probably not. But the 1.0 M&P prices dropped down as well, so the price differential has been increasing compared to the period the 2.0 was introduced on the market.
And to get rid of the trigger "issue" on the 1.0, one solution is to get an APEX trigger, which adds $150 or so.
Or DYI for instance: https://gundigest.com/how-to/gunsmithing/shooting_smith-wesson-mp

Up to you and your budget I guess.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:52:22 PM EDT
[#5]
These are the glory days of good defensive handguns at cheap prices.

You can pick up the 2.0 here for $430 to me it would be worth the difference.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:10:04 PM EDT
[#6]
At this point - I'm thinking of diving back into a 2.0.  They took the Apple approach - still retains the core DNA of what makes the M&P awesome, but improves a few subtle things.  No need to drastically retain the wheel.  The things that stand out to me the most:

-Texturing.  I can't stand the original M&P texture, way too slick with no bite.  Talon grips are a good workaround, but they are merely a temporary solution.  The new texture is a slam dunk, doesn't need any stippling except around where the support thumb sits.  
-Barrel improvements.  9mm versions of 1.0 were hit or miss.  S&W fixed this in a very definitive manner.  There's no question that the new versions of the M&P are very accurate.  

Things that still need work - trigger and front serrations.  Not sure why S&W doesn't just gobble up apex and have them do all the trigger work.  However, anytime I've purchased a M&P the cost of apex parts get automatically applied.  Thankfully Apex is a consistent and reliable aftermarket provider.  Waiting on some 2.0 parts to be completed.  Also, the front serrations.  These things are all for show.  You barely even notice them.  I'm excited to get my hands back on another M&P.  I've always liked their ergonomics, but have jumped back onto the Glock train.  A 2.0 Core will hopefully be in my future!
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:25:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Agreed, yet it also brings an extended metal chassis almost all the way to the tip of the frame, for added strength.

The serrations at the end of the slide, meh, more a "cool" factor than anything else imho.

Altogether, worth $300 additional bucks? Probably not. But the 1.0 M&P prices dropped down as well, so the price differential has been increasing compared to the period the 2.0 was introduced on the market.
And to get rid of the trigger "issue" on the 1.0, one solution is to get an APEX trigger, which adds $150 or so.
Or DYI for instance: https://gundigest.com/how-to/gunsmithing/shooting_smith-wesson-mp

Up to you and your budget I guess.
View Quote
Agree for the most part.  I do use them to press check without issue however but trying to train myself just to use the "peephole" on top of frame.  Old dog trying to learn new trick !  
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:18:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Good info everyone, keep it coming if you got more.  This is why I love ARFCOM...thanks for the help so far
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:28:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Trigger on the 2.0 is still kind of bleh.

Get the V1 for $300, buy a 2.0 back strap, new sights, and maybe some apex stuff.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:25:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Shows $350 to me.

Still.....use the 20% off gift cards, and a $50 rebate, and you could have them at $230!
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:34:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Interesting
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:22:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Having owned the 1.0 and currently owning the 2.0's in 9 and 45, I think the 2.0 is worth the extra money. First of all, I love the texture. I also like that the pointless, extended beaver tail was cut down and I think the gun looks better with solid pins instead of roll pins. I think the stock 5.5lb trigger is ok, but ever since I added the Apex 2-dot sears, my M&P 2.0's are my favorite guns now. I also like how the forward cocking serrations were removed on the 45acp 2.0's.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:17:53 AM EDT
[#13]
From playing with one in the store I personally like the new grip on the 2.0, but who knows if that'd be the case after 200 rounds.

Since you're buying 2 I'd go with the original and use the savings on an Apex trigger kit
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 9:35:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I just ordered (site to store) a 1.0 for $297.50 actual cost to me out the door by using discount gift cards from giftcardzen and a $20 off coupon for doing the survey on the bottom of a receipt from there.  I figure with the rebate for mags/ammo/loader (which I'll sell the loader as I have a MagLula) I simply cannot lose.  If you play the game right, you can really get some smoking deals at Cabelas but to pay sticker price there is for suckers.   Luckily I live 6 miles from a Cabelas Outpost store.  

I may try and source an Apex sear but I figure this gun will be one of the latest batch models and have heard the latest renditions of the M&P line were pretty nice anyways.  We'll see.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:50:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Where to buy a 2.0 backstrap?
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 8:01:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Get the 1.0 for 299. Add a $160 apex trigger.

now you have a handgun equal to the 2.0 with a superior trigger.

I love my m&p 45 mid size 4" barrel.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 8:56:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought a 1.0 and my dad bought a 2.0.

The texture on the 2.0 is significantly more aggressive.  To me, it's uncomfortable to hold, but you don't notice it when you shoot it.

The 2.0 also gives up the beaver tail, which doesn't make a significant difference in reality, but I prefer it.

Having shot both, I'd buy the 1.0 again.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 10:08:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Man, I have no real use for another 9, but this is really tempting...

I do love my shield... have always wanted a full size
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:06:48 PM EDT
[#19]
IMO its up to you and how you feel about the stock components and upgrading vs having factory upgrades. Bone stock the 2.0 is significantly better and worth the cost. If you can get the parts to upgrade for around the same price and like the feel of the Apex parts vs the 2.0 trigger I'd say go for it. I've shot stock versions of all of the poly pistol M&P generations and apexed and polished versions. Really depends on what you like. My next guns will likely be a 2.0 9 and 2.0 9C.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 4:35:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
IMO its up to you and how you feel about the stock components and upgrading vs having factory upgrades. Bone stock the 2.0 is significantly better and worth the cost. If you can get the parts to upgrade for around the same price and like the feel of the Apex parts vs the 2.0 trigger I'd say go for it. I've shot stock versions of all of the poly pistol M&P generations and apexed and polished versions. Really depends on what you like. My next guns will likely be a 2.0 9 and 2.0 9C.
View Quote
This is a pretty good statement. Stock for stock (non pro models) the 2.0's that I have fondled in the stores have been better, though S&W has made decent work with the updated parts on the 1.0 (IE, the h trigger bar, bump on the slide stop) The Pro 1.0's really aren't all that bad, at least mine haven't been. But I cannot stand the hinged trigger and after shooting my APEX Flat FSS kit with comp springs, neither gun feels good. Therefore the 2.0 only has the grip texturing going for me.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 9:40:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Honestly I couldn't tell a difference between the 1.0 and 2.0 while shooting them aside from the grip. Accuracy is the same and the trigger isn't that much different.

I picked up one of those $299 1.0s from Cabelas and the trigger feels way better than my early model 9c and full size 45. It shoots as good as I can at 25 yards so I cannot complain at all.

I don't see myself bothering with a full size 2.0 but I am drooling over the new 2.0c.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 10:56:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I picked up one of those $299 1.0s from Cabelas and the trigger feels way better than my early model 9c and full size 45.
View Quote
QFT
I got one too (build date 6/2017) and the trigger is miles ahead of what they used to be.  I added the $37 Apex polymer trigger and it is even better now.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 12:04:45 PM EDT
[#23]
I know to take MAC's gauntlet test of handgun reliability with a grain of salt given the sample size and limited ability to repeat the tests consistently, however I believe they are directionally correct.

There was a huge difference in performance via 1.0 and 2.0.  I can only assume there was a substantial focus on reliability in adverse conditions when they redesigned the gun for the recent military contract.

I also picked up a new 2.0 on gunbroker for $375 before shipping and 3% CC fees.  If you just need a spare truck or back of the toilet gun, get the 1.0.  But if you are going to end pouring money into it via upgrades for regular use or competition, get the 2.0.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 3:26:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I know to take MAC's gauntlet test of handgun reliability with a grain of salt given the sample size and limited ability to repeat the tests consistently, however I believe they are directionally correct.

There was a huge difference in performance via 1.0 and 2.0.  I can only assume there was a substantial focus on reliability in adverse conditions when they redesigned the gun for the recent military contract.

I also picked up a new 2.0 on gunbroker for $375 before shipping and 3% CC fees.  If you just need a spare truck or back of the toilet gun, get the 1.0.  But if you are going to end pouring money into it via upgrades for regular use or competition, get the 2.0.
View Quote
When that came out I was able to quickly figure out why his gun did so poorly in water. The striker "cup" on the early models made a solid ring but the later 1.0's have a relief built in to the cup to allow water to escape. I pointed this out in a thread and he even mentioned something about researching and finding out that they changed the striker assembly or something.

The 2.0 is slightly better but for $299 I wasn't going to pass up the 1.0. Especially since I had $150 worth of gift cards that I only paid $120 for PLUS the rebate...

That being said I am getting a m2.0 compact tomorrow and its likely I will never shoot my 1.0 again.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 7:48:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
That being said I am getting a m2.0 compact tomorrow and its likely I will never shoot my 1.0 again.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 6:30:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
That size gun is my end all be all. If this m2.0c is good to go its probably the only gun I'll shoot for the next several months.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 1:12:02 AM EDT
[#27]
any rebates?  

still waiting.................
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 2:42:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Just watched that true exodus video on you tube where he's reviewing guns out the box for under $550 and man did the 2.0 stink it up. Mind you I carry a mp core with rmr as my ccw and LOVE that gun, especially after apex trigger upgrade. He might of gotten a bad apple or there's other things that could of played into it. My 1.0 has been flawless but I only have about 750 rounds or so thru it so take that as you will. It also splits time with my g19 that I also edc with.
I really think you can't go wrong with either but if your gonna stipple gun then go with 2, if stipple isn't that big a deal and get a good price on 1.0 then go that route
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top