Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2017 4:39:05 PM EDT

Photo:  End result.

From late 2015 is the archived thread dealing with a comparison of a Glock and a Shield 9mm.  The Shield had the original white dot factory sights.  The thread devolved into a discussion of Shield sights without any real resolution.  I left out the reasons at that time.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_4/162813_Glock_19_and_SandW_Shield_9mm___Use_and_Shooting_Comparison.html

The three white dot Shield sights were miserable because the white dots were recessed in holes.  Every different light source made a tunnel shadow differently.

I eventually filled the three white dots level with the metal using finger nail polish.  That improved consistency, but did not remove the real problem.  With perfect rests and holds using any ammo, the gun shot 3" above the sights at 15 yards and 5" above the sights at 25 yards.  The archived thread goes through a number of steps to arrive at no solution.

At the time in 2015 a new model set of HiViz Lite Pipes was obtained from the factory.  It was the newest rear and the recommended front.  They turned out to be worse than the S&W white dots.  The problem was a failure to consider the height of the rear sight being taller than the front sight.  The front sight was level, parallel with the slide top line.  The rear sight was higher/taller above the slide.  When properly aligned, with good vision, you could see the FLAT top of the front sight.

Depending on the lighting, the flat top could be invisible or very apparent changing the visual height of the front sight.  Groups moved up and down with every lighting change.  And the combination shot high like the factory sights.  I took the un-helpful but expensive HiViz sights off the gun and put the white dot S&W sights back on.

At the time, in the interests of playing nice, I edited out all the negative results with the HiViz set and left in what seemed useful.

The factory people were taken aback a bit at the problem.  They re-designed the front sights to have a "backdraft" or slope so the flat top was invisible sloping to the muzzle.  So many flat top ones had been made and stored that to date I have been unable to get one of the "new" versions with a forward slope machined in.

I finally gave up on them.  And not for a lack of effort. Their Glock sights populate my shooter Glocks.  I like them very much.  The Shield combination was just not thought out properly.  (I have no idea what the Shield sights are like on the current factory guns using HiViz sets.)

Hunting for something to go with the expensive HiViz rear, I found an AmeriGlo that seemed promising.  Installation of the HiViz rear and the AmeriGlo square orange front went as expected without difficulty.  I put the sights in the same exact left-right location as the S&W white dot ones, so at pistol ranges, they should be very close.

The sight picture is a proper combination.  The AmeriGlo front slopes to the muzzle and cannot be seen when the sights are aligned properly.  The AmeriGlo sight mirrors the proper height and width to match the HiViz rear.  The two bright green rear dots and the square orange night sight front make a fairly dramatic sight picture.  My club was hosting a steel match today and I could not shoot the combo.  But it looks perfect.  Photos follow:

Photo:  AmeriGlo orange square front night sight. (The make round ones also.  The square lime green is luminesent also.)

Photo:  HiViz green rear sight.

Photo:  The sight picture is photographicly a fairly good proportion.  Better in real vision looking.

Photo:  Data from packaging.

I will shoot the combo when I get a chance.

Being stuck with the worthless HiViz "flat" front green dot sight, I fitted it into a Umarex S&W M&P C02 BB pistol rather than waste it entirely.  Now I have a BB M&P with a front sight that cost more than the C02 pistol.

The Shield set shown above really grabs your eye in reasonable light conditions.

Addendum:  Got to shoot it today.  Easy combination to shoot.  Put big orange square in middle of big green dots and pull trigger.  As with every sight combination tried with my Shield 9mm, these sights shot 2-3 inches above the point of aim no matter how carefully I fired.  After testing for zero, I still need to move the rear sight about an inch change to the right at 15 yards for a left-right zero.  Very useable combination.

Photo:  Target at 15 yards with:
---WW115FMJ--up 3"
---Hornady Critical Defense 115--up 2.5"
---Handload:  115FMJ Bullseye--up 2"

Photo:  Closer look.  Interestingly, the Hornady CD 115 plunked 6 in one spot.  The high shot was a real yank.  Eclipse was coming so maybe it effected my shooting.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:26:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Finally got to shoot the sights.  Added to bottom of first post.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top