Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2017 12:40:41 PM EDT
Inevitably, whenever someone asks about the reliability of a gun, the glock fanboys flood the forum and just say that you should switch to a Glock.  Personally, I don't like Glocks and will not be converted.  With that in mind, please keep advertisements for your favorite brand to yourself. What I'm asking is if M&P owners (LEO, civilian, gun range owner, etc.) have run into any major issues.  It seems like the gun will run forever if taken care of and will run well enough in adverse conditions.  Is this true or has anyone had horrendous experiences? In addition, how common are breakages and repairs?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:47:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Sold my mid size a while back and need a replacement. Already use a Shield 9 for CC, but am looking into getting the 2.0.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:54:33 PM EDT
[#2]
My 5 m&p's (1.0) have been slightly more reliable than my 5 glocks. I carry a m&p9c or a g42 daily.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:00:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I have had two first Gen M&P40's. The first I never had any troubles with, the second I had one particular reload that it didn't like. What I found out is that the crimp die was pushing the OAL back out just a little bit and causing feeding issues. Since then I seat to 1.120 and have had zero problems since. IIRC the load it didn't like was 135gr FP loaded at 1.128.

I just bought a M2.0 in 9mm and can provide more feedback after it arrives next week.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:08:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Zero issues with mine so far.

Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:36:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies.  It is exceedingly difficult to find actual reports without having fanboys from any brand come in and either trash or praise a platform unnecessarily.  It seems that the M&P is used by a lot of police agencies and civilians, so it has a fantastic track record, but there's always the reports of, "I owned five M&Ps and not a single one worked.  Glock4Lyfe."  However, from what I've researched, it seems that if the M&P gets abused a bit, it won't run as well as some of the competition.  I've never run into a real situation where my gun is dunked in mud and I still need it, but someone else may have a different experience.  Has anyone personally had any instances of accidental abuse that caused the gun to malfunction?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:35:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I have both M2.0, the 4.25", which I carry, and the 5" which I compete with. No issues here at all. I really think they made some nice changes with the 2.0.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 10:39:43 PM EDT
[#7]
No Glocks in my safe.

I have a 4.25" model with a safety.

So far, 727 rounds though it with no malfunctions.  All ammo has been 115gr FMJ commercial reloads.  I did an initial field strip upon purchase for familiarization, no cleaning.  It has not been cleaned since purchase, for what that matters.

Accuracy is what one would expect from such a pistol.  Controlled pairs and Mozambiques are easily kept in the proper place at 7 and 10 yards.

The trigger isn't match grade, but does seem a bit crisper than the original offering.  The reset also feels quite short.

It feels very similar to a BHP in my hands.

Hope that helps some.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 8:11:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I purchased a M&P 9c in March of 2009. And after thousands of rounds of shooting the recoil spring was beginning to come off the end of the bolt.

Also the firing pin was wearing on one side.

Called S&W and shipped back after six weeks it came back with new parts.

No failures just noticed the spring was starting to slip off the end of the bolt head.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 4:30:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought the 2.0 in 9mm in April. I have put about 500 rounds through it since. No failures of any kind, With the new trigger, accuracy has been great and the recoil impulse is pretty smooth. I have always been a fan of Glocks but it's nice not having to sand the finger grooves off and put a aftermarket trigger in  a brand new gun. All around the 2.0 is my favorite full size 9mm.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 4:51:15 PM EDT
[#10]
In my experiences the Glock's, M&P's, and XD's all proved very reliable and durable. I really like the M&P9 the best for a full size 9mm handgun, but Glock 17 was a close second. I didn't care for the XD's much. I think you'll be very happy with the newer M&P 2.0 9mm. I really liked the improvements they made. 
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 6:16:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the feedback.  After this thread and a bit of research across the inter webs, the M2.0 is a strong contender.  I could wind up being an M&P guy.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 7:31:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Put my hands on a 2.0 today for the first time.. I'm impressed. The stock trigger was really good, and that awesome grip texture would cost you $400 to get professionally done on a Glock.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:21:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Took delivery of a 9mm on Thursday, qualified with it on Friday, and took a class with it on Saturday. I have 400 rounds through it and love it. The Glocks are going in the cabinet.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:43:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 2:01:07 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm waiting for the 2.0 compact size.

Just figured I'd mention it, maybe help get S&W to release it.

I just don't believe in full service sized pistols for anyone except police. Put me back in Iraq (with a rifle / truck gunner also) and I'd take a 9mm Shield or Compact all day long over full sized.

For games, I'd get the 5".
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 2:03:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I purchased a M&P 9c in March of 2009. And after thousands of rounds of shooting the recoil spring was beginning to come off the end of the bolt.

http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu290/rgerh913/Posted/IMG_0013_1.jpg

Also the firing pin was wearing on one side.

http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu290/rgerh913/Posted/IMG_0016_1.jpg

Called S&W and shipped back after six weeks it came back with new parts.

No failures just noticed the spring was starting to slip off the end of the bolt head.
View Quote
That's impressive on your part... but not so much on the gun's.

Maybe this is why they can't get near a mil contract? That's not enough rounds to be seeing stuff like this I wouldn't think. Low thousands? Or like ~8k?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:42:27 AM EDT
[#17]
The black striker is gen 1 and was replaced by the silver one years ago. Recoil springs should be changed at 5k. I'd say it held up fine
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:27:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just don't believe in full service sized pistols for anyone except police. Put me back in Iraq (with a rifle / truck gunner also) and I'd take a 9mm Shield or Compact all day long over full sized.
View Quote
How does that make sense?

A cop's primary is his handgun, and a citizen's primary is his handgun.  If someone wants to lug around a full size gun because that's what they're proficient with then why not?
In Iraq, I'm assuming your handgun was not your primary and it was rarely used in practice.  You were already lugging around a ton of more often used gear.

All that said, my daily carry is a Shield, but in the fall/winter or if I have to go to sketchville, I'll sometimes opt for a fullsize.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top